My Emtb life pt.2: New Bike Day - Crafty Carbon rr sl

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Crafty carbon rr sl..... The shop is having issues connecting the bike to the app and also the shifter battery has died so need to source a replacement as they don't have stock !! Was supposed to be delivered last Friday...
still-waiting-beanie.jpg

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Latest update was that it's now just a shifter battery issue and they may need to take from another unit to speed things up !! Sorry but I'm sure these batteries are common as horse shit so not sure what the delay is lol.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Got it today
Wow there's lots of stuff that needs charging on this beast...
Dropper
Derailleur
Shifter
Control unit
Main Battery
Maybe some more regarding the MIND thing !! ( Not a clue about this thing ) And I ripped the front fork magnet sensor off as I didn't know what it was 🫣... Do I need to put it back ?
I've seen that the front ( useless) guard has a charging port related to this MIND thing and the frame down near the shock has another charge port also related to this MIND thing !!

Not to mention a multitude of bloody apps I need to install lol...

Hopefully I can get out and try a ride on it soon once I figure it all out

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Hopefully if you've got an AXS derailleur and seatpost, you've ended up with two SRAM chargers. Keep one in the car with its matching cable so you can charge the battery there as well if required if you forgot to at home. The AXS controller batteries last for months.
You'd hope the bike shop has updated all the firmware but the SRAM app works well and it's worth adding the components and checking yourself.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Hopefully if you've got an AXS derailleur and seatpost, you've ended up with two SRAM chargers. Keep one in the car with its matching cable so you can charge the battery there as well if required if you forgot to at home. The AXS controller batteries last for months.
You'd hope the bike shop has updated all the firmware but the SRAM app works well and it's worth adding the components and checking yourself.
Cheers @Jackware mate, yeah fully wireless which takes a turn to get used to lol, I only got the one charger but planning on buying a spare battery or two so will get another charger too.
I cannot believe I've gone all these years never even sitting on a full suspension!! My maiden ride today was supposed to be an extremely chilled getting to know the bike ride...... I ended up having much more fun than expected and felt very at home on the new beast. Routes that once rattled my teeth were like surfing the white water ( maybe slightly exaggerated but a massive difference to the hard tail beast). The Bosch motor is a massive difference too compared to the Yamaha pw-st, you can get away with being lazier on the yammy at low cadence where the Bosch just keeps giving so long as your putting the effort in I feel. I really prefer the Bosch .
Really looking forward to hitting some of my local routes to compare more.
IMG_20240712_104505228.jpg
IMG_20240712_104449960.jpg

P.s yep I got all the apps and needed to update a few things myself.

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Regarding the CR2032 coin type battery. There are three main brands that I know of ; Duracell, Energizer and Panasonic. I purchased a 10 pac of the Duracell type and keep them in tool drawer.…but the first two I tried didn’t work. This can normally send you off in a different direction for a search on a device failure. (Ie; AXS controller).

I discovered that the Duracell CR2032 coin type battery has a very thin coating of , I assume, protective spray covering the surfaces. I also assume that this is to prevent discharge during shipping or packaging.

In certain battery sockets this is not a problem …but in other socket-types the battery will not make contact.

I found that rubbing the CR2032 coin type battery surfaces with very fine sandpaper will remove the very thin protective layer. I’ve needed to do this to each Duracell CR2032 coin type battery.

I will buy a different type next time. (…or will I? 💵 $$

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Regarding the CR2032 coin type battery. There are three main brands that I know of ; Duracell, Energizer and Panasonic. I purchased a 10 pac of the Duracell type and keep them in tool drawer.…but the first two I tried didn’t work. This can normally send you off in a different direction for a search on a device failure. (Ie; AXS controller).

I discovered that the Duracell CR2032 coin type battery has a very thin coating of , I assume, protective spray covering the surfaces. I also assume that this is to prevent discharge during shipping or packaging.

In certain battery sockets this is not a problem …but in other socket-types the battery will not make contact.

I found that rubbing the CR2032 coin type battery surfaces with very fine sandpaper will remove the very thin protective layer. I’ve needed to do this to each Duracell CR2032 coin type battery.

I will buy a different type next time. (…or will I? $$
Cheers for that @Stihldog I will try and remember when the time comes.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Got it today
Wow there's lots of stuff that needs charging on this beast...
Dropper
Derailleur
Shifter
Control unit
Main Battery
Maybe some more regarding the MIND thing !! ( Not a clue about this thing ) And I ripped the front fork magnet sensor off as I didn't know what it was 🫣... Do I need to put it back ?
I've seen that the front ( useless) guard has a charging port related to this MIND thing and the frame down near the shock has another charge port also related to this MIND thing !!

Not to mention a multitude of bloody apps I need to install lol...

Hopefully I can get out and try a ride on it soon once I figure it all out
Sounds like you bought the wrong bike ?

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
I did actually!
That said , he's bought a model with electronic suspension (MIND) for what reason ?

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Nope... I bought the correct bike and love it. Also not a typo as the bike is an emtb so has a battery that needs charging along with the wireless shifting and dropper that needs charging comes the MIND system which I'm more clued up on now but also needs charging lol. The suspension is NOT electronic but the MIND system does analyse data to give you recommendations, can track your rides and offers electronic locking.

In total that's 5 points that needs recharging and 2 points that hold battery cells that need replacing, all needing an additional 3 apps that are required to monitor etc.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Nope... I bought the correct bike and love it. Also not a typo as the bike is an emtb so has a battery that needs charging along with the wireless shifting and dropper that needs charging comes the MIND system which I'm more clued up on now but also needs charging lol. The suspension is NOT electronic but the MIND system does analyse data to give you recommendations, can track your rides and offers electronic locking.

In total that's 5 points that needs recharging and 2 points that hold battery cells that need replacing, all needing an additional 3 apps that are required to monitor etc.

Is there space for a lap top on the bars ..?

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Ok. You've worked out that it's not meant to be a mudguard mounted to the fork then ? And that you can remove that magnet from your fork and not have to worry about charging or using the mind system at all ? 🤣
Or you could have bought a Crafty without all that stuff ? 🤔

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Ok. You've worked out that it's not meant to be a mudguard mounted to the fork then ? And that you can remove that magnet from your fork and not have to worry about charging or using the mind system at all ?
Or you could have bought a Crafty without all that stuff ?
Yep your right thank you so much for all your valuable input .

Last edited:

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Luckily for me I have some strange but worthwhile OCD habits and keeping battery levels at peak is one of them lol.
I am a few rides into my new bike now and I have absolutely zero regrets with my purchase.
The bike feels great and I feel very comfortable on it riding the tracks I'm already accustomed too on the HT beast, the crafty just eats up the techy sections I found tricky and the Bosch power is far superior to the Yamaha pw-st. Range anxiety of linking some of my local routes has been eliminated as the 750wh with the Bosch motor is just so much more efficient. Still a big learning curve not having ridden a full suspension before but having the Hardtail experience for many years has put me in good stead I think.
I'm really enjoying the Crafty

This was today's ride

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Dog darn dang it !!! Got all the way to the Lakes time share and forgot my rucksack with all the ride essentials FFS got to try and find a localish bike shop in the south lakes now to purchase replacements... Slymobi's law strikes again.

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
Checkout Parkamoor, The fox and the 3 witches.... All good fun
Is that 2 or 3 trails ? Is it just the fox or is it called the fox and the 3 witches ! Are they all at grizedale too ? Bloody useless at finding trails and always end up getting lost lol

Slymobi

E*POWAH Master
Mar 13, 2021
UK, Derbyshire
I've done most of this previously, and it's pretty good.....

I use kamoot and have found a few parkamoor, 3 witches etc so hopefully they are quite similar to your posted recommendation ( can't see them being immensely different! But do look different on the maps lol )
Screenshot_20240727-220640.jpg

I'm used to my rides going tits up and having to just free roam around hoping for the best so fingers crossed this year is a better one here at the lakes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles