Muduggers tried and tested

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
30 mile ride with over 3200ft of climbing mostly muddy bridleways today to give the mudhugger a good test and it certainly kept me much cleaner and drier than recent similar rides. Bike still got covered although not as bad as previously

Shere.jpg

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
30 mile ride with over 3200ft of climbing mostly muddy bridleways today to give the mudhugger a good test and it certainly kept me much cleaner and drier than recent similar rides. Bike still got covered although not as bad as previously

View attachment 50717
I got a pair of these and really like them, it’s always nice to get to summer and get rid of the back one for a couple of months but they do a good job when it’s wet (the back one isn’t quite as good if you go from a 29er to 27.5 and cut a bit off so it doesn’t stick out as much but accidentally cut too much off, I’ve tried it) ?

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
I have had mudhuggers on my two old Cubes (non e bikes) for years, and think they are great. Had one on my 2017 27.5, and I actually fitted that same one on my 2019 29er it seemed to fit OK and do the job.

still not had chance to get it on my new Orbea yet (I have ran out of zip ties) and at the weekend the lack of a rear mudguard made so much of the ride unenjoyable. riding along water logged trails with the brakes on to avoid getting completely soaked, even though I was getting too wet already, but could have been going flat out if I had a decent mudguard on the back and still had a dry backside!
there is a lot of people that won't have them despite the fact that they work so well, just based on the image. apparently a bike with mudguards isn't cool ?‍♂️
it's defo more enjoyable though

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
I do prefer the look of my bike without it but I think the same, I hate the constant spay of water up my back. I don’t mind getting rained on at all but I’m not into riding with soaked boxers almost from the outset!! ??

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
Was out yesterday only on a canal spin locally and I now really wish I had bought the rear mudhugger along with the front I got last week. I hate the look of it but for the slop that's the normality for winter riding in Ireland, you need one.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
On the plus side it’s on the back, so most of the time you don’t see it! I wouldn’t say I’m a mud guard connoisseur but I’ve tried a few different ones and friends have had others and out of them all the mud hugger works best for me.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Only thing to add is make sure they’re well secured! The back one’s been rattling for a couple of weeks so I took it off today to refit with new cable ties but it’s worn through the tape and totally trashed the paint underneath!! ?
Totally my fault for not sorting it out sooner but just a heads up for anyone else who’s got one, don’t leave it loose (it didn’t happen when it was on my old bike, no problems at all with that) and I’d still recommend them.

alexbeck175

Jul 2, 2020
Middleton, Manchester
Only thing to add is make sure they’re well secured! The back one’s been rattling for a couple of weeks so I took it off today to refit with new cable ties but it’s worn through the tape and totally trashed the paint underneath!! ?
Totally my fault for not sorting it out sooner but just a heads up for anyone else who’s got one, don’t leave it loose (it didn’t happen when it was on my old bike, no problems at all with that) and I’d still recommend them.
Did the same to my previous bike. Sickening when you take them off to see the frame exposed.

fenwick458

Oct 6, 2020
Cumbria
another reason why everything should be invisiframed from new. I made the mistake of no doing my first MTB and I rode it 2-3 times a week in all weathers for 2 years, when cleaning it up to sell it realised how abused it had been, it was rubbed right through the paint to the carbon in several places.
my second bike, invisiframed from new, had mudhugger fitted on the back almost all the time and it didn't wear through the invisiframe, just scuffed it a bit.
I used to think invisiframing was just for geeks who want to keep things nice and shiny, but the reality is carbon bikes out of the factory are not properly finished untill they are protected better

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Yep RRP Good when there is no mud but too close to tyre in this years mud.
Had something like the TopPeak front but it disappeared into the undergrowth on first crash and has never been see again....looks too MX but might certainly helps with clearance.

Jorel

Mar 4, 2021
Germany
how about front mudguards?...have tried a few but get totally clogged, unable to move due to closeness of guard to wheel
any suggestions for guards with more clearance ? View attachment 55941
Loamy soil will always clogg your wheels.
No big difference if you have mudguards or not.
The mud will stick between the chainstays, the forks, everywhere where parts are close to the tyre.

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Lol, a tractor might just about have enough clearance! That’s s lot of mud!! There’s only a couple of places I ride with mud like that and they’re thankfully pretty short.
I don’t like to wish time away but I am looking forward to summer...

Mini si

Dec 31, 2020
Derbyshire
Yep, gutted!! I covered it up quickly with some black tape and I’m going to try and never see it again!! ?
To be fair to mudhuggers, they did come with invisiframe type stuff, I just forgot about it when I swapped them over from my old bike so it’s my own fault! (I just came across it in the garage)

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
The best thing about the rear Mudhugger on my bike is it keeps all the shite out of the suspension linkages and off the dropper post. For this reason alone I leave it on all year round. Great product.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles