moving the sensor magnet or adding another

andyadam

Apr 16, 2020
fife, scotland
which way round would it work ? how much gain from just moving the sensor within the limits it still recognises it, and would a second magnet make it faster or slower ? by all accounts changing wheel diameter in the software impacts it so what about magnet placement

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
I don't think moving the magnet will change anything. It will be counting how often the wheel goes round in a given time, so moving it will still only deliver one pulse per rev.

Adding a second magnet - the system will think the wheel is going round twice as fast as in reality, so will cut the assistance at half the normal speed - not really a desirable outcome.

andyadam

Apr 16, 2020
fife, scotland
I don't think moving the magnet will change anything. It will be counting how often the wheel goes round in a given time, so moving it will still only deliver one pulse per rev.

Adding a second magnet - the system will think the wheel is going round twice as fast as in reality, so will cut the assistance at half the normal speed - not really a desirable outcome.
i thought the same with the two magnets however on other brands of motors and bikes that you can programme it says to make the wheel diameter smaller in the software, thereby passing the sensor more times as well ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
You can buy a planet3 that fits on the rear disc and add 1 magnet = x3 motor speed or 2magnets = 1 1/2 speed ! Not sure about cubes but here’s a link
I dont think that sort of thing will work with the latest bosch cx gen4 motor - it seems to be able to detect tampering with the magnets and throws an error code and puts the motor in limp mode for 90 minutes, after 3 of these, it puts the motor in limp mode permanently until a dealer resets it - but not before they void your warranty .

Here's bosch view below - iMO its a significant downside to the bosch system.

eBike tuning – illegal and dangerous - Bosch eBike Systems (bosch-ebike.com)

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
i thought the same with the two magnets however on other brands of motors and bikes that you can programme it says to make the wheel diameter smaller in the software, thereby passing the sensor more times as well ?
Yes, the system will be programmed for the size of wheel. For the same speed, a bike with a smaller wheel will activate the sensor more frequently. If you wanted to fool the system to allow a faster assisted speed you'd need to set a smaller wheel size than you really had. So tell it you're on a Moulton and you'd fly along. Unfortunately (as I understand it) the primary wheel size is pre-set, and the user can only adjust within a small range.

Otherwise, to go faster, just choose a steeper hill.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles