Moving from pedal power to e-bike

john120165

Feb 15, 2021
Stirling
My son ( a known wee shark) managed to blag an Orbea £9000 demo bike (unsure what model but he'll know) from Dales in Glasgow for 3 days for zero cost. We went to Glentress Forest and he had a great time out for 7 hours while I lasted about two and a half hours. So the point of this is; we have a couple of pedal bikes bought for £4000 each and are fine. But after you have tasted the e-bike life changes. Alpine bikes in Glentress sell off their fleet after I think 30 hires for approx half price.

But; how what is the reliability across all e-bikes, are there any motors to avoid (like Specilaized Brose) to avoid costs and downtime. Appreciate nothing is perfect except Kelly Brooke.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Ha i would only buy brose due to fantastic specialized warranty, easy of repair and simple derestriction.
Each to their own.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Welcome to the forum!
Reliability is getting better every year and that goes for all manufacturers. I would still go through a Local Bike Shop for a new e-mtb though. Plenty of choices, shopping is part of the fun... Enjoy! 😎

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
from my experience .. your motor is as good as the care you take of it ... in terms of protection from water ingress and general stuff like pedal strikes. I have a Bosch Performance gen 2 and E8000 with 20000 mountainous kms shared evenly between them and neither has ever failed.... subsequent models (gen4 CX and EP801 etc) have undergone significant improvements..... beware water and smashing cranks!!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
from my experience .. your motor is as good as the care you take of it ... in terms of protection from water ingress and general stuff like pedal strikes. I have a Bosch Performance gen 2 and E8000 with 20000 mountainous kms shared evenly between them and neither has ever failed.... subsequent models (gen4 CX and EP801 etc) have undergone significant improvements..... beware water and smashing cranks!!
Easier said than done I must say. Don't remember having as much pedal strikes on an ordinary bike 🤔. Waters the same though .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles