Merida E-160 900 Upgrades - Boxxer Ultimate, Coil, Megura's

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
Hi all,

Need some advice as I'm planning on a full build.

Currently the frame has been stripped and taken to paint. Its going to get a custom midnight blue pearlescent paint with a red hue to it. Should have it back in 3-4 weeks.

I am planning on getting a new set of Rockshox Boxxer Ultimates with red lowers. Currently have my Lyrik set at 180mm so thinking of going to 190mm travel but open to suggestions.

I have a Rockshox Super Deluxe Ultimate coil in the rear already which is sublime and will be keeping this.

I've settled on Megura's for brakes. Probably going to get MT5's and pair them with 220mm rotors on the front and 203mm on the rear with the new MDR-P rotors.

Going to switch to SRAM X01 rear deraulier and shifter with GX cassette.

I have a set of customs wheels - DT Swiss 350 hubs with DT Swis HX531 rims. Need new hubs as they are currently centerlock and need 6 bolt for the brakes.

I have some questions I need help with.
- Knowing that im going to be putting a boxxer on, what offset would people think would be good? Was also thinking of maybe running 29" upfront
- What's the largest rotor and calliper I can have on the rear? Will I be able to fit the Maguras out back?
- What hubs would people recommend or possibly new wheelset like the Spank Spike vibracore 350's
- What kind of stem/bars specs would you look at to help keep weight over the front so the front doesn't lift too much going up steep hills but still is nice on the Downs.
- What dropper post would you run? Going to replace the stock one.

If anyone has more information or can help with the above I would really appreciate it.

I've attached photos of everything taken apart and stripped.

Thanks!

20200514_233516.jpg

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Brakes wise.... Try the MT5 calipers with the new Shimano XT levers. Use the Magura brake fluid rather than the Shimano one. You get better modulation and a little more power. Plus it makes it easier to bleed as the Magura levers can be a pain.
Also, put 220mm rotors on both ends. People brake a lot more than they realise on the rear and drag the brake more than the front. It's a minor cost difference and even more minor weight difference.

The build sounds like it will be an awesome trail slayer and I look forward to seeing the result!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I would stick with a 27.5 up front, especially if going to 190mm travel, though IIRC the Boxers due to the design of a dual crown dont move the head tube up as much as you would get with an equivalent single crown fork - i.e a 180mm boxer might actually be lower axle to crown than a Lyric. I think a 29 up front would put the front end way too high.

I have 223 up front and 203 out back, but I see no harm in doing it at both ends.

Some great ideas though, I shall watch on with interest!

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
Brakes wise.... Try the MT5 calipers with the new Shimano XT levers. Use the Magura brake fluid rather than the Shimano one. You get better modulation and a little more power. Plus it makes it easier to bleed as the Magura levers can be a pain.
Also, put 220mm rotors on both ends. People brake a lot more than they realise on the rear and drag the brake more than the front. It's a minor cost difference and even more minor weight difference.

The build sounds like it will be an awesome trail slayer and I look forward to seeing the result!

I had a ride on some Formula Cura 4's today which were unreal and also looked the goods! They seemed like they were a massive caliper compared to the Shimano XT 8020's I've currently got. I know they'll fit on the front but what about the rear as the mount is between the linkage rather than on top?

Also going 220mm on the rear will mean I need to space it out more and due to the issue above I'm not sure it'll work?

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
I would stick with a 27.5 up front, especially if going to 190mm travel, though IIRC the Boxers due to the design of a dual crown dont move the head tube up as much as you would get with an equivalent single crown fork - i.e a 180mm boxer might actually be lower axle to crown than a Lyric. I think a 29 up front would put the front end way too high.

I have 223 up front and 203 out back, but I see no harm in doing it at both ends.

Some great ideas though, I shall watch on with interest!

Thanks for the guidance.

If that's the case do you think just keeping it at 200mm of travel would be fine? I can't seem to find any Boxxers with the new Debonair so was thinking if its too much travel just change out the airshaft to the new one and reduce the travel.

I'm also struggling with what offset to go. Keep it the same as the stock Lyrik came with which was 51mm? Any recommendations there?

What brakes are you running on yours at the moment?

Yeah really looking forward to getting it underway, paint is just holding it all up!

Thanks for your help!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not sure why you'd fit a Boxxer at all if you don't even know what offset or wheelsize you want.
Have you even considered the resulting bar height from a dual crown fork?
So far this seems like the sort of thing Sam pilgrim might do for bants/likes .. Only he doesn't pay for his forks.
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
Not sure why you'd fit a Boxxer at all if you don't even know what offset or wheelsize you want.
Have you even considered the resulting bar height from a dual crown fork?
So far this seems like the sort of thing Sam pilgrim might do for bants/likes .. Only he doesn't pay for his forks.
What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Because I can?

I know what I want, I'm just looking for Advice to see if things can be done in a better or different way.

I am trying to achieve a plusher front end, with less deflection that I experience with the single crown Lyrik I've currently got.

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
Nice build
only one thing is why does everyone rave about maguras i know we are all different but i have mt5s on one bike and saints on the other all running 203s but i find the saints far superior with stopping power and feel
so much so that when funds allow the maguras are coming off .

Different strokes for different folks i guess. I rode a bike with them, liked them, put them on my list. Today I rode a bike with the Forumla's liked them more and now will go down that route if they fit.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Thanks for the guidance.

If that's the case do you think just keeping it at 200mm of travel would be fine? I can't seem to find any Boxxers with the new Debonair so was thinking if its too much travel just change out the airshaft to the new one and reduce the travel.

I'm also struggling with what offset to go. Keep it the same as the stock Lyrik came with which was 51mm? Any recommendations there?

What brakes are you running on yours at the moment?

Yeah really looking forward to getting it underway, paint is just holding it all up!

Thanks for your help!
I run Guide RE's with Galfer 223mm rotor up front, and their 203mm rotor out back. Brake choice is personal prefence, I had always been a shimano fan before getting my bike which had the Guide RE's on as stock, but haven't had any issues with them and like them, so see no point in changing. IMO braking technique is far more important than what brakes you have! All the main brands big brakes do the job.

Have you considered looking at a 180mm Fox 38? Personally that is the fork I would be looking at if I wanted to build a big hitting enduro rig and wanted something fancy looks wise on top of performance - plus I think in the real world of UK riding it will be a lot better fork that a dual crown to live with.

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
I run Guide RE's with Galfer 223mm rotor up front, and their 203mm rotor out back. Brake choice is personal prefence, I had always been a shimano fan before getting my bike which had the Guide RE's on as stock, but haven't had any issues with them and like them, so see no point in changing. IMO braking technique is far more important than what brakes you have! All the main brands big brakes do the job.

Have you considered looking at a 180mm Fox 38? Personally that is the fork I would be looking at if I wanted to build a big hitting enduro rig and wanted something fancy looks wise on top of performance - plus I think in the real world of UK riding it will be a lot better fork that a dual crown to live with.

100% agree with you there. I've got XT 4 pistons and just want a bit more power. In saying that they're excellent brakes and I'm only upgrading because I can.

I did think about 38's but there is just something about how a tripple clamp feels on many bikes ive ridden and just don't think ill get that with a single crown.

Husky430

E*POWAH Elite
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
"Have you considered looking at a 180mm Fox 38? Personally that is the fork I would be looking at if I wanted to build a big hitting enduro rig and wanted something fancy looks wise on top of performance - plus I think in the real world of UK riding it will be a lot better fork that a dual crown to live with. "

Ditto that, though I'm yet to fault my Fox 36's, probably says more about my riding ability though than the strength of the forks :ROFLMAO:

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
So the bike's coming along well and should be finished up this weekend.

Just wondering if anyone has a manual on how it all goes back together (just really need the info on how the cabling is routed).

Will have some photos up tomorrow!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In terms of the shimano system info to be found here, not Miranda specific though

scotty2066

Jul 27, 2019
Sydney
Sorry should have been more specific. Just wondering where I run the motors power cable, the remote cable (from the head unit to the motor). I forgot to take photos so if anyonne has any photos with the motor cover off that would be great!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Sorry should have been more specific. Just wondering where I run the motors power cable, the remote cable (from the head unit to the motor). I forgot to take photos so if anyonne has any photos with the motor cover off that would be great!
The link I posted has the instructions of how to wire everything up, including diagrams, in the shimano dealer service manual

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles