Magura Hacks, Tips and Tricks.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I thought we could have a thread for general tips and tricks for Magura brakes.

Recently I have been having problems with bleeding my rear brakes. Just couldn't get all the air out for some reason. The brakes felt spongey and completely stopped working on me.
I think there were 2 reasons for this.
1 I had over tightened my ebt screw (The one you open on the handlebar part of the brakes) This screw is only made of plastic, and can be stripped easily. Luckily they are pretty cheap and can be bought seperately.

Secondly I found this video showing an easy way to bleed the final bubbles out of yoursystem.
Sorry it is in German, but it should be pretty clear.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Dankershen. Any particular bleed kit you'd recommend?. I've used Epic on my SRAMS.
Ive used this one works great and very cheap
€ 9,86 27%OFF | Universele Fiets Hydraulische Schijfrem Olie Bleed Kit Voor Shimano Magura Hoop Tektro Sram Avid Mula Hayes Bike Brake Reparatie gereedschap

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
I recently had my brakes upgraded to MT7 Pro.

Brakes are spongy so was about to follow folks' bleeding instructions tips and then found this .

The lever 'lifting away from the body / stop' and a thin piece of cable showing which isnt apparent on other side. I love fixing stuff and would rather do that than refer to my LBS however I am mechanically challenged. Can anyone see what is wrong before I dismantle everything and try and fix myself o_O

Pictures are below.
First is RH Brake at rest
Second is RH brake lifted away from 'Stop" that I cant do with LH brake.

Thanks for any help

tempImageXO9Nfj.png

tempImagemVDSuL.png

Last edited:

Andrewscube

Jan 9, 2021
Oxfordshire
My top tip removed from the bike fitted hope V4s best brakes ever. blew the mt7s away for power and modulation. Hated how close they ran to the disc any small amount of dirt and you would get disc rub also the Mt7s aways felt spongy. Hopes are much firmer under full power very consistent and they look cool.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I recently had my brakes upgraded to MT7 Pro.

Brakes are spongy so was about to follow folks' bleeding instructions tips and then found this .

The lever 'lifting away from the body / stop' and a thin piece of cable showing which isnt apparent on other side. I love fixing stuff and would rather do that than refer to my LBS however I am mechanically challenged. Can anyone see what is wrong before I dismantle everything and try and fix myself o_O

Pictures are below.
First is RH Brake at rest
Second is RH brake lifted away from 'Stop" that I cant do with LH brake.

Thanks for any help

View attachment 56712

View attachment 56718
I'm not sure, but that is probably part of the spring which holds the levers in the correct position.
I had a problem with mine that one lever lept flopping out and I couldn't reach it.
It turned out that by turning the adjustment screw, you can engage or disengage that spring.

EME

MUPPET
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
Thanks @Akiwi. I assumed that originally but it makes no difference -- may of course be my '(lack of) technique so will try again. Im using the bike so doesn't appear t0o be a major issue.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I have now got my MT7 sorted. It was the method of quick bleed, ie pumping a small amount in the bleed hole near the lever back and forward releasing all small air bubbles and the lever pointing about 45 degrees down so that the hole is at the top.

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I'm not sure, but that is probably part of the spring which holds the levers in the correct position.
I had a problem with mine that one lever lept flopping out and I couldn't reach it.
It turned out that by turning the adjustment screw, you can engage or disengage that spring.
I seem to have lost that spring. Is it possible to order just that?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Probably, but I have no idea. You mean this one?

Like I mentioned above. I thought mine was broken, but it was fixed by turning one of the adjustment knobs.
I have never heard of the springs breaking or going missing, but I am not an expert.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles