Magura brake noise.

EuanS2

Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Try duct tape on the back of your pads, also, i found the MDR-P rotors to be very noisy so I changed to Hope floating rotors instead

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
I’m done with them, they keep getting worse and it’s unacceptable how loud they are.
I wonder if I can use my 220 adapters with 223 Galfer‘s?
I may drop down in size in the rear, the 220 are overkill.

EuanS2

Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
A couple of washers should be enough to space your adapters up to 223. I found 220 in the rear was too much as well so I went back down to 203

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
My rear shuddered at first but it eventually went away. MDR-p's seems to be more difficult to bed in than other rotors. Recently cleaned the pads and front rotor and it did the same for a few rides

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
I have this odd shuttering noise and feel from my M7 pro with MDRP 220 rotors. anyone else have this issue and know a way to fix it?
it’s this strange jutting soun like abs brakes/

I had exactly this issue with my MT5's and 200's under hard braking. Drove me nuts, I could feel it through the forks/bars as well. Rear seemed OK. I checked the pad alignments as well as the swept areas and it was all spot on. Swopped out to Hope 220's and it was definitely better but couldn't get a good indication as I only did one ride before also swopping out the one-piece pads to individual pads (which I think you already have on your MT7's?). With the new pads (I used Theo) and Hope discs I don't get the shuddering at all now. I suspect that the aggressive, wide slots cut into the Magura discs are what causes them to shudder. A shame because they stopped brilliantly, but it seems that in order to achieve the grip from the aggressive slot edge/pad interface it does cause Maguras to seem somewhat agricultural.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
If the OP is using one piece pads then definitely swap out for single piece pads. Mt7s seem to suffer from lagging pistons and can take hours to set up properly from my experience. At least with single piece pads you can pull out the pads individually from the top and squeeze the lever lightly to try and 'activate' and align a lagging piston. Pad alignment issues which they are known for seem to be caused by one piece pads and piston.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Try duct tape on the back of your pads, also, i found the MDR-P rotors to be very noisy so I changed to Hope floating rotors instead
This may help, but it's usually done for pad rattle.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've a broken arm at present, so no riding, which has given me time to service my MT7 brakes. They are time consuming to get right. Sometimes I think I will get 2 piston brakes next time around.

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
I'm using the individual pads, in fact I've tried the ones that came with the pads, the race pads and MTX gold pads. The race pads are brutally noisy, sounds like your taking a grinder to the rotors.

Asnowmobiler

May 1, 2021
Jim Thorpe Pennsylvania
The Hope rotors took care of my issue. Now I need a new hub, it broke last night while riding.
Only had to push it 1.5 miles back to my truck.
They are going to warranty it but I'm going start the search for something better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles