Other M-2 700wh new battery already has a charge cycle

Doughnuts95

Sep 18, 2021
United States
I bought a brand new m-2 700wh battery from a specialized dealer and it had a charge cycle on it already. I’m not sure if this is normal maybe a test charge from the factory? The thing is the 500wh battery that came with my 2021 turbo levo that I just bought didn’t have any charge cycles. Anyone have experience buying a 700wh battery from anywhere? Is this normal? I know it’s only 1 cycle but if I pay $1300 I would like something new. Thanks.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
1 cycle would mean it would have been charged to a total of 100% once, be that 80% from the factory and then say 30% by the shop to bring it back up to 80 or 90 %

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Personally, I'd say get on with your life and not worry about it :

If it had several charge cycles and scratches all over it .. yup - problem ! One charge cycle when you've no idea if they're charging , discharging and re-charging to test batteries (they had a batch of faulty 700's this year) - it gets to the point you'll be like @BAMBAMODA and insisting on a virginity test every time you meet a lady, even if they charge by the hour.

maybe @Specialized Rider Care can comment on their latest production/test procedures.

Doughnuts95

Sep 18, 2021
United States
Personally, I'd say get on with your life and not worry about it :

If it had several charge cycles and scratches all over it .. yup - problem ! One charge cycle when you've no idea if they're charging , discharging and re-charging to test batteries (they had a batch of faulty 700's this year) - it gets to the point you'll be like @BAMBAMODA and insisting on a virginity test every time you meet a lady, even if they charge by the hour.

maybe @Specialized Rider Care can comment on their latest production/test procedures.
Ok you’re right thanks for helping

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
FYI these batteries will count 1 cycle when you consume 100% of the battey, not when you charge to 100%...

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Every battery is delivered in deep sleep mode and has to be charged to "wake it". There is probably a difference in the BMS with the newer 700 battery which maybe effects whether the BMS counts the wake up charge or not............or as @Zimmerframe said the wake up process specified for the newer battery may specify a complete charge and discharge cycle.......who knows? Does it matter? No!!

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA
Same thing here. I have bought the M2-700 last month and when I put the battery in and connected the app, there was already 1 cycle. The battery itself was brand new, sealed in the box. It must be the initial factory charge.

Doughnuts95

Sep 18, 2021
United States
Same thing here. I have bought the M2-700 last month and when I put the battery in and connected the app, there was already 1 cycle. The battery itself was brand new, sealed in the box. It must be the initial factory charge.
Oh nice I was originally hoping before I posted that someone would have the same thing with there bought separate battery. Did it happen to be at 21% by chance?

Last edited:

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA
Oh nice I was originally hoping before I posted that someone would have the same thing with there bought separate battery. Did it happen to be at 21% by chance?
I'm not sure what the exact number was, but I remember it being low though. When I turned the bike on I had 4 bars out of 10, which is between 40 and 50%.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles