loud cracking noise from headset/fork

Matt b

Sep 28, 2018
Swansea
Hi, I'm getting a loud crack noise, not creak, from the front end of my 2018 comp carbon. Only happens when riding quickly on the trails. I've re greased and cleaned the headset and there is no movement there. It seems to have started after doing a lower leg service on the Revs but that may be just a coincidence.
Any one else have or cured this problem?
cheers

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
does it happen when the forks are under impact? (test by riding off a kerb).

headset loaded properly or needs tightening?

Matt b

Sep 28, 2018
Swansea
Thanks, doesn't happen off a curb, but when riding more aggressively on the trails.Star nut seems tight enough, there's no movement.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
I get a noise like sharp crack going over roots or where roots cross under a path causing ridges. Very annoying but re-torque only worked for a couple of hours riding time. Seems to improve in the wet or after washing but always returns

Matt b

Sep 28, 2018
Swansea
I get a noise like sharp crack going over roots or where roots cross under a path causing ridges. Very annoying but re-torque only worked for a couple of hours riding time. Seems to improve in the wet or after washing but always returns
I've ordered some locktite to seal the crown steering unit (CSU), hope it works.

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
Have had similar issue and I reckon that the crack noise is coming from the plastic spacers between top of headset and stem. Putting a bit on grease on them and ensuring everything is sufficiently tightened seems to have resolved for now. May change from plastic to aluminium spacers in future if problem reoccurs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles