Little tubeless question.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
So i made my tires tubeless for the first time september last year.
tire is 29" 2.30 wide and ive added 140ml muc off sealant. Muc off advice is to put 105-140ml per tire and on top of that add a 30ml for extra protection. It also says to do a check up every 4-6 months.
Now i changing the tires to 29×2.60" and am wondering if i did to much sealant in the old tire as its far from dry and the tire is fully covered with alot of sealant.
how much should i add in the 29×2.60 tire?
20210112_144013.jpg
20210112_144006.jpg

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Seems like a lot to me. I generally use about 30-40ml per inch of tire size, but I use Stan's sealant. More can't hurt other than a little weight. I also tend to put a little extra in the rear tire. I use 120ml for a 2.8" tire.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I put 120ml in my 29x2.5 tyres.
When changing tyres, if the old sealant doesn't look too bad and there's a fair bit of it, I scoop it out with the top of an aerosol can and tip it into an old jam jar for re-use later. Like advised earlier, I top up with fresh.
Make sure that you give the new bottle of sealant a very good and prolonged shake, until you can see the bubbles on the bottom of the container (where the sealant normally settles). This cruddy layer at the bottom is where all the particles collect; it's the particles that block the holes and help the sealant to do its job. So you need to ensure they are released into the overall fluid.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I put 120ml in my 29x2.5 tyres.
When changing tyres, if the old sealant doesn't look too bad and there's a fair bit of it, I scoop it out with the top of an aerosol can and tip it into an old jam jar for re-use later. Like advised earlier, I top up with fresh.
Make sure that you give the new bottle of sealant a very good and prolonged shake, until you can see the bubbles on the bottom of the container (where the sealant normally settles). This cruddy layer at the bottom is where all the particles collect; it's the particles that block the holes and help the sealant to do its job. So you need to ensure they are released into the overall fluid.

One suggestion I made above is that if there is a latex skin on the inside of the tires or a bunch of rubber "boogers", I don't reuse the sealant since a lot of the latex has already been removed from the solvent.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
One suggestion I made above is that if there is a latex skin on the inside of the tires or a bunch of rubber "boogers", I don't reuse the sealant since a lot of the latex has already been removed from the solvent.
By "boogers" I take you to mean the 3D shapes that can form, like this latex starfish I once found. I could hear it rumbling around inside the tyre.
Latex starfish.JPG

For those not from the UK, that is a 50 pence coin, or half a GBP. It is either 30mm diameter, (1.18") maybe 27.5mm (1.08") if it was a more recent version. That was out of a 2.2" wide tyre!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles