Levo vs Levo SL

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I've watched the comparison video footage with regard to this topic and it was very helpful but I am no nearer to making a decision and some of my perceived advantages to owning an SL were nor really covered. With the SL being such a low weight it would seem to me that it could be carried on a heavy duty boot style rack. Is this the case? Mention is made of the fact that riding uphill requires more effort. How much more effort? I'm 72 years old so this is important to me.

To get this into some perspective I ride mainly at FOD and around the Cotswolds on a Trek Powerfly4 which if I'm honest I bought because it suited my budget at that time. After making some progress with regard to downhill skills I am beginning to see the shortcomings of the Trek although if I am honest with myself it will cope with most of what I can throw at it.

Over and above this there is also the question of aesthetics. The trek is not a pretty bike and the handlebar layout is very limiting because of the bulky components. The brakes get in the way of the dropper post for example and the motor display adds to that problem.

Any advice welcome. If I did buy either a Levo or an SL I would be looking at around the £5000.00 specs.

Al

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I think I have asked myself that honest question now and I've seen a vid of someone who owns a Levo pedaling up a steep hill on an SL. It looked and sounded hard work. I think I've decided it will have to be the Levo FS with 29" wheels. I love Turbo mode :) or should that be :(

Al

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
The SL motor produces about half the power of the Levo so climbing hills would take twice the power from you or you could go half the speed with the same effort. The SL has a 30T chainring and a 50T sprocket, even with the assist off I can climb just about anything with that gearing.
We have a SL and a Como. Lifting the bikes onto the rack it is clear which one we are lifting, the 8 lb difference is obvious.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
I've had quite a few randoms comment on how "sick my bike looks "

20200601_215200.jpg

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
There is one more thing to consider when choosing a Levo or SL: a decent rider should be good for maybe 160 watts (at least for awhile) and the SL adds 240 watts. The total is about what a pro rider can produce and that ain't bad.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
you don’t ride a Kenevo on trails????
Haha by trails I mean more XC style.
Although I have been taking it to all my gravity trails of late and it is loving it. I’m not super fit but I’ve been coping well with it and I have a back injury too. It’s just not as fast uphills but still quicker than my analogue buddies.
It doesn’t feel like your riding an ebike though as far as weights concerned.

Will Hesch

Dec 3, 2019
The SL has one third the power of the Levo and after owning a Levo Expert for a year I tried a SL for a day. It was a sweat-fest and was like my acoustic bike before the Levo. I like the Levo much better, the extra power more than outweighs the weight difference. If the SL had twice the power it currently has, like 60 newton meters, it could be worth a look but at 68 years old, I think the Levo is the Schnizzel!

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I had come to the conclusion that an SL would not offer enough assistance for my 72 year old body so I have rejected that as an option. I'm now thinking Levo vs Kenevo or perhaps even one of the alternative brands with Bosch motors which seem to come in a little cheaper and with higher spec parts all round. The Orbea looks quite good.

Al

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I had come to the conclusion that an SL would not offer enough assistance for my 72 year old body so I have rejected that as an option. I'm now thinking Levo vs Kenevo or perhaps even one of the alternative brands with Bosch motors which seem to come in a little cheaper and with higher spec parts all round. The Orbea looks quite good.

Al
Have you ridden one?

jmulvaney

Jun 7, 2019
Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
I switched from full fat Levo to the SL after a demo ride. I think it is the Goldilocks eMTB. I am 49 and a fit rider (not great MTB'er though) and like to swet a little! I actually use Turbo on the road to get to the trails from home ASAP reserving my energy, then turn the assist off or use eco when on the trails. I hope to be riding in my 70s too so good on you.

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
I just sold my '19 Levo Comp for an SL. emtbforums and videos helped me so I'll share back on this topic.

Obviously different bikes for different riders... you have to figure out what's best for YOU and the type of riding that you do.
For me, I found I was mostly riding my Levo on 'eco' and 'trail'. Given my time constraints, my rides are typically 1-2 hrs, 10-15 miles, with about 1500-2000 ft climb in the mountains. I try to go out 3-4 times/week. I wasn't consuming all of the 500Wh battery. In fact, I'd often charge up every *other* ride. My Levo was enormously fun, but for me it's like riding a monster truck. It's a heavy beast with A LOT of power, and it goes up/over most everything. I just wasn't using all the power, and using Turbo actually took away some of the fun and opportunity to get exercise.

Context: I'm a fairly fit 50 (5'11", muscular 160 lbs, workout with weights but haven't done much cardio). My goals are 1) have fun on the trails and build up my mtb skill after a very long time off biking and 2) get into better (cardio) shape.

I continued to dial back the power on the Levo as my fitness improved, to the point where when the SL came out it made a lot more sense to me. The SL has more than enough power and battery capacity for me and my type of rides, and it's over 10 lbs lighter than the Levo so it feels much more like my regular stumpjumper than a monster truck :). LIke my Levo, it helps me enough so I can do three 'rides' (loops/trails) where on a regular bike I'd only have enough legs or lungs for one loop, so I'm having a LOT more fun than on a regular mtb. Also, I'm trying jumps and whatnot on the SL that I just wouldn't be trying on the Levo given it's weight. I dial back support regularly to get a solid workout, but bump up to trail or turbo to help with steep stretches.

For me, the SL gives me all the power/support I need, and until I start doing 4+ hour rides with 3-4000 ft climbs, all the range I need. I don't miss the power nor the capacity, and I'm definitely happier with a lighter more nimble bike. But, that's me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles