Levo Gen 2 Levo Turbo 2021 Roval Freehub

breachr

Jun 25, 2021
Germany
Hey guys,

i bought a Levo Turbo 2021: Specialized Turbo Levo 2021 29 Zoll bestellen | Fahrrad XXL

It has a NX Eagle 12 Speed Derailleur and a NX Eagle Cassette, therefore it is Shimano HG. I would like to fit a XD-Driver to this bike and after some research i was sure one of these would fit:
Specialized SPECIALIZED FREEWHEEL FHB FORMULA XD DRIVER FREEHUB 11/12 SPD (FH-535HA)
and
Specialized SPECIALIZED FREILAUF FHB FHB FORMULA XD DRIVE 11/12 SPD FREEHUB (SP-20481)
(they both look exactly the same btw)

However, it is really difficult to fit in one of these. I have to manually disengage all clamps to get it in. But it fits so tight, that the clamps cant fully engage and with some effort i can rotate the freehub in both directions with my hands. (This obviously doesnt work with the original freehub).

Ive got no idea which rims i am using, the seller only shows: Roval 29, hookless Aluminium, 30mm
The original Freehub has a serial number "HFH-0001" and "0070122" but i cant find any information on these online. Here is a picture:

index.jpg

Do you guys have any idea which Freehub i need? Or am i fitting the Freehub wrong and i already have the right ones?
Help is greatly appreciated!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The freehub you found is for a Formula hub............Roval now use a rear hub with DT Swiss 360 internals so I suspect the freehub design is DT Swiss.

Tedoji

Nov 3, 2021
Finland
I have the same starting point and similar plans. Therefore really interested to hear how this turned out? Was this the right part and did you have any issues in installing it?

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
My wife's 2021 Turbo Levo base did not come with a rear hub based on Roval or DT. I believe it is a hub made by 'bear pawls' or something like that. It was a pain to find both front end caps for the hub and an XD freehub body for the rear hub. I ditched those wheels and put on i9 Enduro wheels.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
From what I can determine Roval initially used Formula hubs in the Levo and Kenevo. Formula are one of those companies that supply parts to manufacturers whilst not offering the same product to the general retail market...hence it is difficult to find spares beyond the original bike brand. Some time late in 2020 Roval started using DT Swiss internals (most likely DT Swiss 370 internals) in what I saw described as their own hub shell.........I doubt Roval manufactured hub shells so the shell is again probably an OEM Formula or Novatech or similar hub manufactured to Spesh spec. It could even be a DT Swiss 370 hub unbranded! I think the Roval Traverse also then started using DT Swiss spokes. Why Spesh did not just fit a standard and branded DT Swiss hub such as the 370 or preferably the more robust Hybrid 350 I have no idea!!

It leaves the question as to what the freehub fitted as standard is as well as what modifications ( ie change from HG to XD or microspline) are possible and if so with what parts. "DT Swiss hub internals" would certainly include the axle and bearings plus the seals and end cap system. The a xle is not therefore adjusted using 2 cone spanner nuts like on the original formula hub set up.
It does suggest to me that a DT Swiss XD freehub should fit albeit maybe not the HYBRID version as in the post above ( although the difference may only be that the HYBRID version is steel whereas the standard version is ally. I am aware that DT Swiss have 2 different sizes of pawls dependant on the freehub......one being a bigger and wider pawl than the other.........and this may be the only thing that determines if it fits the hub.

Stan23

Sep 6, 2021
San Jose, CA
I can tell that the base 2021 base levo wheel does not have a rear hub based on dt 370. I happen to have wheelsets with dt 370 hubs and the freehub body is entirely different.

It is an unbranded hub manufactured by some company I've never heard of, but specialized does have a part number for an xd freehub body from what I remember and was a specialized specific part.

Tedoji

Nov 3, 2021
Finland
Have you tried it? Did it fit?

I thought about it a lot and actually ended up staying in Shimano HG after all. My original plan was to move up from the NX cassette as the quality has not impressed but found other use for the money and decided to stick with NX anyway. :)

miklos13

Jan 31, 2022
Hungary
I thought about it a lot and actually ended up staying in Shimano HG after all. My original plan was to move up from the NX cassette as the quality has not impressed but found other use for the money and decided to stick with NX anyway. :)
Thx.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles