Levo or Canyon Neuron

benthebike

Dec 13, 2018
Hatherleigh, Devon
Hi All,

Appreciate some advice from owners. Considering buying either a entry level Turbo Levo or a Canyon Neuron 6.0 - need to make a choice!

Riding will be trail centre, Dartmoor and Lake District.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Ben

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
2019 Levo all the way, too many issues with Canyon delivery although the spectral bikes are a nice ride and good spec.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
The canyon looks good on paper with spec and money saving... Until something goes wrong and the bike goes back. And with the additional electronics etc, it's even more likely. My normal canyon bike was away for 9 weeks with some very simple warranty work.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I was gonna buy a Neuron but they kept messing about with the delivery times so I cancelled and will probably go the lbs route now. Maybe I will get a cube tm, still haven't decided.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Too many issues with both , canyon customer service and actually getting a bike , Levo major designe faults and poor value for spec . Vitus back in stock I think , and commencal for best buys would be my thought
Good call on the Vitus if it’s in stock, it was second on my list. I feel like the 2019 Levo issues are blown out of proportion on the forum and the value comes from the frame and motor performance. One thing it has shown is good dealer support is an important factor when things do go wrong.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Good call on the Vitus if it’s in stock, it was second on my list. I feel like the 2019 Levo issues are blown out of proportion on the forum and the value comes from the frame and motor performance. One thing it has shown is good dealer support is an important factor when things do go wrong.
You're 100% right about the Levo.

StevoKickstart

Nov 12, 2018
West Sussex, England
The Levo is a terrific bike; forums tend to focus on the issues/ teething problems (in a good positive way as we as a community can find an efficient way to find solutions) this tends to make us focus on the negatives on the forums and not the fantastic positives. We don't tend to write very much about the positives in my opinion as I suppose its not as newsworthy?
I love my Levo and I have had no issues
Stevo

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
If you can get the one you want in a reasonable timeframe and all the bits arrive in the box(!) the Canyons are great, definitely my favourite of the bikes i’ve ridden. Customer service (especially around delivery times) seems very hit and miss though. Given all the horror stories on CS it's difficult to recommend them wholeheartedly, especially for an ebike.

Whether the Levo is worth the big premium for a product with some significant flaws probably depends on how knowledgeable your LBS is. If they’re on it and have a good rep for customer service then you are probably good, but it’s clear from this forum and others that Specialized’s response to the issues has been inconsistent internationally, and even in country. My LBS was unaware of the issues so couldn't talk confidently about the fixes and whether they would be applied if I ordered; when coupled with the stuff I don't like about the bike (most notably the high price and long thin integrated battery) I crossed it off my list of possibles.

Personally I would suggest the ~150mm travel trail bikes from Vitus, Commencal, Thok (all direct sales) and Giant (LBS supported) are all worth considering above your current shortlist. YMMV.

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
The Levo is a terrific bike; forums tend to focus on the issues/ teething problems (in a good positive way as we as a community can find an efficient way to find solutions) this tends to make us focus on the negatives on the forums and not the fantastic positives. We don't tend to write very much about the positives in my opinion as I suppose its not as newsworthy?
I love my Levo and I have had no issues
Stevo
You are right about this forum being great for support and sharing experiences. I remember the Canyon delivery story where the guy shared his entire saga including who to chase at the shipping/courier companies.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
If you can get the one you want in a reasonable timeframe and all the bits arrive in the box(!) the Canyons are great, definitely my favourite of the bikes i’ve ridden. Customer service (especially around delivery times) seems very hit and miss though. Given all the horror stories on CS it's difficult to recommend them wholeheartedly, especially for an ebike.

Whether the Levo is worth the big premium for a product with some significant flaws probably depends on how knowledgeable your LBS is. If they’re on it and have a good rep for customer service then you are probably good, but it’s clear from this forum and others that Specialized’s response to the issues has been inconsistent internationally, and even in country. My LBS was unaware of the issues so couldn't talk confidently about the fixes and whether they would be applied if I ordered; when coupled with the stuff I don't like about the bike (most notably the high price and long thin integrated battery) I crossed it off my list of possibles.

Personally I would suggest the ~150mm travel trail bikes from Vitus, Commencal, Thok (all direct sales) and Giant (LBS supported) are all worth considering above your current shortlist. YMMV.

That’s how I test bike shops , ask questions about known issues , most say they haven’t heard of any issues , and play it down , you know they are lying to your face especially when your mates the workshop manager and that's Where you got the info from , but obviously can’t say .

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
Both great bikes, but if you are going for Canyon, perhaps you should consider the Spectral rather than the Neuron as a comparison with the Levo.

If you are talking entry level, the basic Levo is a pretty poor spec, so I would go for canyon. (However, the levo can be upgraded later of course.)

Canyon and Specialized are on opposite extremes of the spectrum in terms of part specification for money. However, a bike is more than the sum of its parts, but as good as the Levo is, it certainly does not shine in base spec IMO.

A part from that, I have moved away from Canyon because being in Spain I was just too far away from the support.

If your only concern with the Levo is the recent issues with the motor etc, just find a good dealer and you should be able to solve everything, they are not major flaws IMO.

In conclusion, basically all emtb on the market lie in bewteen Canyon and Specialized in terms of value for money, so you can also consider all the other great bikes menitoned (cube, thok, comencal, focus, vitus etc.)

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom

When I asked to cancel my Canyon order I was half expecting them to at least ask why I was cancelling or to offer a deal but they actually seemed quite pleased I was cancelling and no questions asked. Must of took less than a minute to cancel which goes to show they don't really care about sales of 4k bikes that much.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't think that's the case with Canyon at all. If they have a waiting list on orders they won't have time to haggle and don't feel the need.
Every time I have cancelled an order anywhere be it bikes or goods they have at least asked why I'm cancelling, the canyon CS seemed non interested about the fact they was losing a 4k plus order. I would of thought the CS would of been briefed to gain customers not lose them.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Neither... the Canyon arrives minus battery or charger lol and the Levo is overated tat lmao...even tho i cant fault my giant id go vitus as amazing spec for the money!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles