Levo Gen 2 Levo Motor Noise and pulsing behaviour

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
My Levo 2020 motor seems to be getting louder and louder. It seems worse once I've been riding for a while, seems quieter when cold. There is also an assistance pulsing behaviour, when the left leg is on the downstroke the motor gives a little more assistance for quarter of a crank rotation. At slow speeds this is really noticeable. The noise is there is all assistance modes, but obviously loudest in turbo.

here it is in action:

I have about 2 months warranty left on the motor. I spoke to my LBS and they will send it off for possible warranty, but can't guarantee Spesh will honour it. My options are either buy a new motor and hope I get a refund later if they warranty it, or leave the bike with them whilst its sent off.

does anyone have any experience of whether specialized would warranty this motor?

thanks

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I've had a couple of motors on warranty and spesh never questioned it, if you have 2 months warranty left they should 100% be obliged to honour the warranty IMO 🤟

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Get it in for warranty. My 2020 is similar. Pulses, varying levels of assistance, overruns. Not especially noisy though. Oh actually it makes a ratcheting noise occasionally now I think about it.
I can live with it, but it's not right. 4 month warranty remaining so I'll get it in by the end of the year.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
My Levo 2020 motor seems to be getting louder and louder. It seems worse once I've been riding for a while, seems quieter when cold. There is also an assistance pulsing behaviour, when the left leg is on the downstroke the motor gives a little more assistance for quarter of a crank rotation. At slow speeds this is really noticeable. The noise is there is all assistance modes, but obviously loudest in turbo.

here it is in action:

I have about 2 months warranty left on the motor. I spoke to my LBS and they will send it off for possible warranty, but can't guarantee Spesh will honour it. My options are either buy a new motor and hope I get a refund later if they warranty it, or leave the bike with them whilst its sent off.

does anyone have any experience of whether specialized would warranty this motor?

thanks
I had exactly same behavior + random 5-10 sec overrun (can be very dangerous in some circumstances!) approx. 1-2 times per long ride. The motor was moaning into the steep hill that I even got comments from hikers passing by "Oh look, a Washing machine goes up the hill ..." 😅
Contacted LBS, they replaced the motor no question asked and this is how it should be. And this is why I will consider my next bike to be Spesh again (aiming for Gen4 when it comes out) ... otherwise, hell no!
So get yours sorted under the warranty, if they decide they will not honor it (low possibility), find a better LBS ...

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I don't think its the bike shop's decision. They said Spesh take longer to approve warranty claims now, up to 2 weeks, previously it was the same day. Of course if all drive has been lost, its an obvious warranty failure. Just noise is a bit more complicated presumably.

The other option is to send it off for an upgrade to "bearing man" and hope nothing is broken inside etc. I think I would do this anyway, its just a matter of pre or post warranty replacement.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
I don't think its the bike shop's decision. They said Spesh take longer to approve warranty claims now, up to 2 weeks, previously it was the same day. Of course if all drive has been lost, its an obvious warranty failure. Just noise is a bit more complicated presumably.

The other option is to send it off for an upgrade to "bearing man" and hope nothing is broken inside etc. I think I would do this anyway, its just a matter of pre or post warranty replacement.

Warranties are definitely taking longer due to their new improved system. No more waiting for your warranty rep to reply (usually took a few hours). Now you submit the claim via computer and wait and wait and wait. Much better.

But get it in for warranty anyway.

fraatti

Jun 1, 2020
Finland
I think I have same fault but without noise. First I noticed it because when I start pedaling power is really high. It will continue pushing hard even if you just move your legs almost none power. When you pause pedaling for a while and continue again, power is usually normal after that. This was first symptom.
Later it has also developed new symptoms. Sometimes you are not going to archive full power at all and sometimes power output is fluctuating. I took my my bike to local bike shop last week and they filled warranty request. Now I am waiting for new motor.
Bike is 2020 model and I have ride 4-5tkm with it.

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I think I have same fault but without noise. First I noticed it because when I start pedaling power is really high. It will continue pushing hard even if you just move your legs almost none power. When you pause pedaling for a while and continue again, power is usually normal after that. This was first symptom.
Later it has also developed new symptoms. Sometimes you are not going to archive full power at all and sometimes power output is fluctuating. I took my my bike to local bike shop last week and they filled warranty request. Now I am waiting for new motor.
Bike is 2020 model and I have ride 4-5tkm with it.
These are my exact symptoms. I suspect the torque sensor.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles