Levo 2019 - Through Axle On Front Wheel Is Borked? - FIXED! Thanks :)

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
I have a 2019 Levo and the through axle on the front wheel appears to be stuck - really stuck - as in STUCK...

I can loosen the axle and it comes out of the non brake side - but appears to have bound to either the brake side of the forks or the inside of the hub itself. I have attached pictures showing what is happening - I can fully undo the axle but all it does is force the legs apart on the fork - the axle is still firmly stuck on the allen bolt side - I can also spin the wheel and it spins freely.

Worried as I mentioned above the legs are being forced apart - but only by the length of the threads on the axle - it tightens up fine and the legs go back as normal. I do not think it is bound inside the hub as I always pop some grease on axles prior to re-installing them.

Anyone else seen this? Anyone else can give me some guidance? Pictures are below.

I have had the wheel off before as I converted to Tubeless when I first got the bike in December 2019.

This is super frustrating as I am doing a bit of a deep clean and lube during lockdown.

Thanks in advance.
Bound Side.jpg

Fully undone on brake side
All the way out.jpg

Fully out on the non brake side
legs forced apart.jpg

Legs forced apart

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
A similiar thing happened to my previous bikes lyric. Ashamed to say it got left dry and became a bit sticky. it was usable but took a little persation With a 3/8 extension to get it going. Surprising how after I cleaned it up it was better but not perfect.. Even a bit of stiction(for want of a better word) was enough to cause exactly what you are experiencing. I can’t offer a fix I’m afraid as I got another axle from the spares dept. Drawer in garage. Good luck.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
If you can loosen the axle bolt it can't be stuck in the fork. Seems likely it has bound up on the hub end caps or the inner race(s) of the wheel bearings.

As @Simoto123 suggests, persuade it with a sharp tap using something like a socket extension while bracing the back of the fork leg. Apply a light oil where you can beforehand. Once you have the axle out test how it fits in the wheel and maybe give it light brushing with a Scotchbite pad before applying grease. Also test how it fits in the fork without the wheel to make sure the fork lowers are aligned straight,

FlimFlam

Jan 30, 2020
South West England
Thanks to @Simoto123 and @levity for your advice. I managed to get it out - rubber mallet, GT-85 and a socket extension as mentioned. It will not go back in the hub but I have not rubbed it down yet. I braced the leg as well as I could but I know it is not meant to be moved laterally - I will keep an eye on the fork going forward. All out now - Thanks again!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles