🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I struggle to understand the mindset of people who would do such a thing. Even worse if it is an older person as I see that as being more malicious than a couple of teenagers as they should have a better comprehension of the outcome.

Unfortunately there will always be a small portion of society who should not belong in it.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Unbelievable. Speedy recovery that man. As said @MrSimmo i hope they get bitten by Karma for that. Horrible c*nts

Unfortunately this is the second case of this i've seen recently on social media. (i may have missed the take 1 thread)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Trail sabotage (unsanctioned) is quite common around here unfortunately and yes it’s mainly the daily dog walking pensioners. MTB’ers have placed hidden ‘nature’ cameras in the forests and footage of sabotage in action is being gathered as evidence so hopefully we’ll start seeing some prosecutions soon

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Trail sabotage (unsanctioned) is quite common around here unfortunately and yes it’s mainly the daily dog walking pensioners. MTB’ers have placed hidden ‘nature’ cameras in the forests and footage of sabotage in action is being gathered as evidence so hopefully we’ll start seeing some prosecutions soon

Not as severe as barbed wire across the trail, but these are typical finds on a weekend morning:

D868FA31-8A8A-4343-9D8F-936CD1B6736D.jpeg

148B575E-074F-410B-9BB0-51B8FAF994BD.jpeg

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.

Not a bad idea, I’d be happy to donate some if it helps catch and stop these swamp dwelling scumbags.

yorkshire89

E*POWAH Master
Sep 30, 2020
North Yorkshire

If this is the one I'm thinking of, Police 'talked' to the man on 3 separate occasions but he kept doing it, mainly branches down as above but in high speed area's where you might not see them in time.
He lived right next to the woods and in the end some angry MTBers turned up at his house and said if it happened again he'd get a kicking.
It's been pretty quiet since, I see him walking his dog fairly often and he's calmed down a bit.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
If this is the one I'm thinking of, Police 'talked' to the man on 3 separate occasions but he kept doing it, mainly branches down as above but in high speed area's where you might not see them in time.
He lived right next to the woods and in the end some angry MTBers turned up at his house and said if it happened again he'd get a kicking.
It's been pretty quiet since, I see him walking his dog fairly often and he's calmed down a bit.

I know exactly where you mean and know Bob’s house, glad people knocked on his door, he had it coming. These photos are from the FB page of those woods but were actually taken a few miles further away, at the White Horse

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
classic :D
used to happen in the woods near me in Essex, mate of mine who was a big lad and a fireman caught the old boy at it once, took his picture and told him "I know you now, any one of my mates or my lad gets hurt in here cos of what you do, ill find you in here and do the same"
it all stopped.
sometimes, reason isn't enough which is a terrible shame but then again, what these people are doing isn't at all reasonable.
pretty common to find then around here on MX trails.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I've begun to loose count the amount of times dog walkers and ramblers give a sarcastic comment as I've passed them despite giving them a bell ring and slowing down, told one of them where to go when he said I'd no right to be on the towpath despite it been a designated cycle route.
Afew month back I had a puncture on cycle route miles from nearest town, turned out to be a tack!!!!

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I've begun to loose count the amount of times dog walkers and ramblers give a sarcastic comment as I've passed them despite giving them a bell ring and slowing down, told one of them where to go when he said I'd no right to be on the towpath despite it been a designated cycle route.
Afew month back I had a puncture on cycle route miles from nearest town, turned out to be a tack!!!!

I had an old guy walk out across a main road once without looking, then when I braked to avoid him, he started shouting “slow down you maniac” at me, despite me riding at half the speed the cars were travelling at.

I also got shouted at once by some old dear who was lost and walking across Terrys Belly at Bike Park Wales. She had wandered into the bike park and was having a go at all these mountain bikers for “causing mayhem on these lovely footpaths”!

Underblu

Aug 22, 2021
USA
This will be a dog walking pensioner. they're the most entitled 4r5eholes out there. Even passing one very very slowly with plenty of warning and a good natured 'thanks' is met with glowers.

Stereotyping is rarely a good thing. There are cantankerous dog loving retirees and nice ones too. But Scowls and putting razor wire across a bike path aren’t even in the same solar system. Yes, some hikers, dog walkers, etc can be grumpy and entitled but putting razor wire across a bike path is the work of a psychopath

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Stereotyping is rarely a good thing. There are cantankerous dog loving retirees and nice ones too. But Scowls and putting razor wire across a bike path aren’t even in the same solar system. Yes, some hikers, dog walkers, etc can be grumpy and entitled but putting razor wire across a bike path is the work of a psychopath
Agreed.

I don't normally take notice of anyone who isn't happy with me being there, although it happens very rarely and don't think I've ever really had any sarcastic comments. I always slow right down if passing people, and if they haven't heard me just wait behind before asking if they would be kind enough to let me pass. I more often than not get an apology from them for holding me up.

I did get a shower from an old dog walker on a fire road the other day as I had to negotiate around her 3 fat dogs off a lead. She shouted to me to be careful as they were deaf and slow as I was sat stationary in the path as they ran round me.

Whitby Chris

Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
It isn't going to be long till someone loses their life, there was a post on Facebook earlier in the year when someone and placed large stakes in the ground just below or drop or jump, I cant remember now.

TG1971

Nov 14, 2020
Yorkshire
I was badly injured 10 years ago when some nice 13 year old lads put pike fishing wire across part of the trans pennies c to c trail on a descent took the bike from under me at 25 mph lucky it was handlebar height, knocked out, separated shoulder and broken collarbone, I was on a charity ride with a group of adventure scouts lucky they were well behind me.

Repsol

Dec 25, 2021
Yorkshire
I've just been out on my other specilized rockhopper bafang conversion after not been able to get out on my new levo turbo.
Just wanted to get out there, couldn't believe the amount of people about, ramblers 20 plus deep nearly every 50 yds or so on route 66. Passing one lot and their feckin dog bit my leg, if I wasn't a dog owner myself I'd of booted it. Need to find another trail as I'm getting sick and tired of people not politely moving out of the way.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There were three of us in the Peak District (somewhere, still not sure, I was following my leader) we'd done Jacob's Ladder. There was a large pack of walkers ahead so our leader hopped up onto the narrow track at the side that people use when the main track is flooded. We followed suit and passed the walkers quickly & safely. Our leader then hopped back onto the main trail. The guy in front of me tried to do the same but cocked it up and had a dreadful fall onto the main track right in front of the walkers, who immediately congregated around him. He was awfully still. I joined him and after a few seconds he came to and I told him to check himself out while I checked his bike. (Straightened the bars and it was fine). While he was doing the inventory of his body the walkers were expressing concern. They were all well into the retirement zone, but very pleasant and most concerned for the plight of the fallen one. He was slowly emerging back to reality and showing signs of sitting up. I answered the expressions of concern with stuff like "we wear lots of protective clothing, he'll be fine, just shaken up, thanks for your concern, give him room please....." Then one of the old dears from the back wondered up and asked, "would an Elastoplast be of any use?" I laughed and the fallen one laughed and then I knew he was going to be OK.

Actually, he wasn't OK and never got above 10mph for the rest of the day. After seeing him fall, I don't blame him, the ripples in his brain must have been surging back and forth for ages.

Elastoplast! Still makes me laugh! :ROFLMAO:

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Went up to the lake district a few months back with a friend - he got 3 punctures in the space of 20 minutes.
Couldn't work out what was going on till we pulled a bunch of sharpened metal spikes out of the tyre that had been left on the trail stuck in the floor.

I don't get what goes through some peoples brains. But after being attacked by a shitty little dog on a trail that the owner didn't have on a lead and couldn't get hold of - just kept shouting "don't hit my dog"..... nothing surprises me. The world is full of morons.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Went up to the lake district a few months back with a friend - he got 3 punctures in the space of 20 minutes.
Couldn't work out what was going on till we pulled a bunch of sharpened metal spikes out of the tyre that had been left on the trail stuck in the floor.

I don't get what goes through some peoples brains. But after being attacked by a shitty little dog on a trail that the owner didn't have on a lead and couldn't get hold of - just kept shouting "don't hit my dog"..... nothing surprises me. The world is full of morons.
What I don't get is if it was dog owners, why they would think its sensible to leave sharp objects on the floor for their dogs to step on? A puncture is annoying, impailed dogs feet another level!

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
What I don't get is if it was dog owners, why they would think its sensible to leave sharp objects on the floor for their dogs to step on? A puncture is annoying, impailed dogs feet another level!

Yup we said the same thing - there was tons of hikers about, a puncture is bad but a sharp chunk of metal through your foot would ruin your day pretty quickly.

I had 2 punctures on a local trail because a farmer had put barbed wire across the ground. I just love it

The UK in general I find to be pretty shitty for bikers.
If you bike on the road you get nearly killed by drivers on their phones.
If you try to bike off road, loads of paths are designated walkers only.
The yorkshire wolds way runs past my house - you can bike it but every 5 miles or so a section just randomly turns from a bridal path to walkers only. Presumably they expect you to just get off and push the bike. I've been shouted at a bunch of times for "you're not allowed on here" despite riding slowly, having a bell on the bars which I use to warn hikers, and giving them a very wide birth.
Even on the bridal paths there's tons of dog walkers just staring at their phones while their dogs run at you and block the entire path with their leads.

Last edited:

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l live in the U.K. on the edge of the Peak District and have never had an issue with other trail users, nobody has given me a hard time and l've never found any man made "obstacles" on the trails that l ride.

Maybe it's because it's not that busy round here, although there's a fair few riders about on nice days most seem to go to Ladybower now.

l've done around 3,000 miles this year so l get out quite a lot.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles