Kiox not showing any info...

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Hi there, not sure if im posting this in the correct thread... but...

I have a cube 160 TM and I was scrolling through my kiox earlier just getting familiar with it as i've never done so. Everything was fine. I went and put the kettle on and when i come back the battery % had gone and it was just showing a line (see picture) and all other info had disappeared. Ive tried everything i can think of... powered kiox on and off, battery in and out, battery on charge in and out of the bike... nothing, its still showing nothing and the motor is not working. Im really dont understand how just scrolling through the menus on the kiox would cause or trigger a malfunction?
Has anyone else experienced this? Reluctant to take it to the shop before ive exhausted all avenues as its a bit of a journey to take it back to them.

Really appriciate any help or advise.

Screenshot_20210822-152156.png

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Found this in the online Kiox operating instructions (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/fileadm...L/BUI330_Kiox_MY19_Online_en.pdf?_=1558513860) bottom of page 14/15

Storage mode/resetting the Kiox
The on-board computer has an energy-saving storage mode which minim-
ises the rate at which the internal battery discharges. Setting to this mode
erases the date and time.

This mode can only be activated by pressing and holding the on/off button
(4) of the on-board computer for at least eight seconds.
If the on-board computer does not start when the on/off button (4) is
pressed briefly, the on-board computer is in storage mode.
You can deactivate storage mode by pressing the on/off button (4) for at
least two seconds.
The on-board computer detects whether it is in a fully functional condition. If
you press and hold the on/off button (4) for at least eight seconds while in a
fully functional condition, the on-board computer will go into storage mode.
If, contrary to expectations, the Kiox is not in a fully functional condition and
cannot be operated, pressing and holding the on/off button (for at least
eight seconds) will reset it. After being reset, the on-board computer will re-
start automatically after approx. five seconds. If the Kiox does not restart,
press the on/off button (4) for two seconds.

See if any of the above helps

Gigha

Sep 30, 2020
East Lothian
Hi there, not sure if im posting this in the correct thread... but...

I have a cube 160 TM and I was scrolling through my kiox earlier just getting familiar with it as i've never done so. Everything was fine. I went and put the kettle on and when i come back the battery % had gone and it was just showing a line (see picture) and all other info had disappeared. Ive tried everything i can think of... powered kiox on and off, battery in and out, battery on charge in and out of the bike... nothing, its still showing nothing and the motor is not working. Im really dont understand how just scrolling through the menus on the kiox would cause or trigger a malfunction?
Has anyone else experienced this? Reluctant to take it to the shop before ive exhausted all avenues as its a bit of a journey to take it back to them.

Really appriciate any help or advise.

View attachment 69547

That is what my Kiox looks like if switched on without a battery installed on the bike. I assume the Kiox is possibly not communicating with the battery or Drive unit. There is a reset to Factory settings available on one of the screens, may be worth trying that.

What happens when you switch the Kiox on with it removed from the bike, should cycle through various data screens.

Looks as if unit is still on old software, if you do have to take it back to dealer then have them update to latest version.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
That is what my Kiox looks like if switched on without a battery installed on the bike. I assume the Kiox is possibly not communicating with the battery or Drive unit. There is a reset to Factory settings available on one of the screens, may be worth trying that.

What happens when you switch the Kiox on with it removed from the bike, should cycle through various data screens.

Looks as if unit is still on old software, if you do have to take it back to dealer then have them update to latest version.

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried the factory reset via the options menu on the kiox, it reset because it now shows 'sport' instead of 'emtb' but unfortunately the problem still persists of not showing any battery % and the motor doesnt work. I fear there maybe a comms issue as when the issue started i plugged the charger into the bike with the battery installed and it was showing on the kiox that the battery was fully charged at 100%... now when i do it, its says the battery is on 0%
20210822_135122.jpg

And yes i can confirm when the kiox is removed from housing and i turn it on it cycles through various data screens.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Found this in the online Kiox operating instructions (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/fileadm...L/BUI330_Kiox_MY19_Online_en.pdf?_=1558513860) bottom of page 14/15

least two seconds.
If, contrary to expectations, the Kiox is not in a fully functional condition and

Thanks, ive not tried any of the above. I will try that now.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England

least two seconds.

Ive tried all the options above and it does go into the storage mode as explained etc but nothing has changed from my issue earlier, still no % on kiox and the motor is still not working.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
I assume the Kiox is possibly not communicating with the battery or Drive unit.

I fear you could be correct on your assumption here... as the kiox is now showing 'low battery' evan though its sitting in the cradle with a fully charged battery installed in the bike... 20210822_194444.jpg

Gigha

Sep 30, 2020
East Lothian
I fear you could be correct on your assumption here... as the kiox is now showing 'low battery' evan though its sitting in the cradle with a fully charged battery installed in the bike... View attachment 69567

My bike has the old type power pack type external battery which could be switched on with a button on the side of the battery. I assume your bike will have a power tube battery, do these batteries have a button allowing them to be switched on ?

Another clutching at straws idea, with kiox on bike but switched off, roll the bike backwards a short distance - that causes my kiox to turn on. It would be interesting to see if that occurred with yours.

The Kiox can be charged with a USB cable, its a Micro A but Micro B cables do fit. [not that that's going to help much]

Do you know anyone with the same type of battery, trying a different battery may help diagnose the fault.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
Also with everything connected and switched off, take the battery cover off and (with the battery fitted in the bike) press the power button on the battery itself.
See if that has any effect.

If none of that works, it may well be a trip to the bikeshop to be put on the diagnostics.:(

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
My bike has the old type power pack type external battery which could be switched on with a button on the side of the battery. I assume your bike will have a power tube battery, do these batteries have a button allowing them to be switched on ?

Another clutching at straws idea, with kiox on bike but switched off, roll the bike backwards a short distance - that causes my kiox to turn on. It would be interesting to see if that occurred with yours.

The Kiox can be charged with a USB cable, its a Micro A but Micro B cables do fit. [not that that's going to help much]

Do you know anyone with the same type of battery, trying a different battery may help diagnose the fault.

Yes i have the powertube 625w and it does have a button with light indicators which is showing the battery as fully charged. (See pic)

Clutching at straws is fine, im willing to try anything before i have to take it back to the shop. Unfortunately it didnt work nothing happened the kiox didnt come on.

Thanks for that ill prob charge the kiox before i take it to the shop just so its gully charged incase tgere is something they can do straight away if its something simple... i am obviously expecting it ot to be an easy fix at this rate.

I do, but i might not be able to access my friends battery until end of the week... i have some booked trips planned in the next coming weeks so time is valuable now. Think ill have to try and get myself to the shop tomorrow.

20210822_210224.jpg

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Also with everything connected and switched off, take the battery cover off and (with the battery fitted in the bike) press the power button on the battery itself.

If none of that works, it may well be a trip to the bikeshop to be put on the diagnostics.:(

Good shout ive not tried that tbh. Ill give it a try now.

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
Is the Kiox making full contact on all terminals when it clicks into its cradle?

also do you have the Bosch Ebike connect app to pair with the Kiox and check software status?

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England

Ok, so i tried this and nothing turns on apart from the green led lights on the actual battery itself indiacting its charged. They go out after about 5 seconds.

But... with everything powered off and the battery cover removed i turn the kiox on and as soon as the kiox powers on the green led lights on the battery come on and off intermittently the whole time the kiox is display is powered on. As soon as i turn the kiox off the green led lights on the battery turn off. So there must be comms between the kiox and power tube battery?

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Is the Kiox making full contact on all terminals when it clicks into its cradle?

also do you have the Bosch Ebike connect app to pair with the Kiox and check software status?

Hi, thanks, ive double checked the kiox and yes all seems nicely connected and sitting flush. I have removed and cleaned the contactors again and then reinstalled the unit bsck into the craddle... but sadly still no joy.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England

Apologies i never read this part. No i dont tbh which is prob an amateur move i know (but i just never used it, so deleted it ages ago) great idea tho, ill see if i can reinstall it and reconnect to kiox etc and see what info its giving me. Thankyou

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Im going to take the bike back to the shop tomorrow, its a right kick in the ? as i was only there Friday collecting my shock that had been in for warrenty... after a failure... lets see what they say after its been plugged in for a diagnostics check.

Ill keep this thread updated with the outcome.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Did you see this thread?

Just wondering if you ever charged the head unit via its USB connection as it appeared to fix @Legendof1973 issue?

Last edited:

Legendof1973

Jul 9, 2020
Scotland
Did you see this thread?

Just wondering if you ever charged the head unit via it's USB connection as it appeared to fix @Legendof1973 issue?
I did charge it initially, but I’ve never had any issues since then and I’ve done over 500 miles in riding so it must have been an issue between the connections. I just cleaned them and it’s fixed the problem. The kiox should get charged every time you are biking. If not, you have a connection issue.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Did you see this thread?

Just wondering if you ever charged the head unit via it's USB connection as it appeared to fix @Legendof1973 issue?

Thanks @Jackware for the link. ive dropped the bike to the shop today, and he said it is an odd one and hasnt come across this issue before... will just have to hope of some good news in the coming days...

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Hi all,

The bike shop have come back to me this afternoon and told me the bad news... it needs a new motor!? This is due to the fact "the motor will just not talk to battery/kiox and vice versa..."
Im shocked more so at the manor the motor has failed... just by me scolling through the kiox display?? Obviously there could have been underline issues and it was just coincidence... either way it needs a new motor.
They are telling me that bosch have been outstanding on their warrenty replacement timelines (evan through covid) ... and the max i 'should' have to wait is 10 days.
Lastly i asked the question if i get a 2 year warrenty on the new motor, i got told "no" warrenty is from the date of purchase unless the claim was made in the last 3 months, then they will honour an additional 3 months, which i guess is for teething problems.
The bike shop did tell me there was lots of confusion at the start with bosch on warrenty roll over etc... but bosch have put that to bed and said basically warrenty is from date of purchase end of, thoughts?

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
Gee rideordie that is some coincidence?

At about 6 months old my bike did have a blank screen one day when first turned on.
Taking the unit to the dealership saw a reboot and all was good.
Did they actually try another kiox display on your bike?

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Gee rideordie that is some coincidence?

At about 6 months old my bike did have a blank screen one day when first turned on.
Taking the unit to the dealership saw a reboot and all was good.
Did they actually try another kiox display on your bike?

@Flyfisha yes, they told me they tried a different battery and a different kiox, but it made no change to the problem. Obviously gutted about it being a new motor as im now without my bike and have got trips/rides planned for the coming weekends... that ive had to now pull out from. One thing im 100% certain on... i wouldn't want to own an e-bike out of warrenty... this would be a costly failure if so.

rideordie

Nov 1, 2020
England
Hi all,

bike has had a new motor installed and is ready for collection! That was 10 days including the weekend with a bank holiday, Bosch... love em or hate em... that is great service!
Why it failed they dont know, should it of failed, HELL NO... but however you look at it the turn around time for a new motor is really impressive from Bosch.
Also I rang Bosch's customer helpline to ask few questions and they were fantastic! Offering loads of info on timeframes, warrenty extension, evan tracking numbers of my new motor?! They explained the whole process of the warrenty claim and gave me dates of when i should expect my new motor to arrive and if it hadn't arrived by certain time they encouraged me to chase it via the shop or evan through Bosch themselves.
One of the best customer services ive ever recieved tbh, just being helpful and understanding that the situation was not ideal ... and they evan apologised!?

I was always a Bosch fan tbh, but after these recent events that has just been cemented... yea, not great that the motor failed, but things go wrong, thats life... its how its been dealt with thats key.

Maybe other manufacturers need to take a leaf out of their book.

Rogdevon

Aug 13, 2023
Devon
So my cube stereo has developed the exact same fault and symptoms. I took it in this morning, had a call this afternoon and it’s the motor, it’s 2 and half years old so out of warranty and quoting £720 for motor plus labour. The bikes only done about 1,000 miles not sure what to do at moment, don’t want to spend maybe a £1,000 and have it fail again in another couple of years .. I don’t use the bike that much and mainly firetrack stuff

Any advice greatly appreciated

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles