Just got a Rail 9.7 need advice

ribtek

Sep 1, 2020
USA
Hi Everybody!
Thanks to the many feedbacks from people on the forum I decided to look for a Rail and I just got a used one in like new condition. I did a 11 mile trail today and the bike is fantastic except for one issue. Suspensions are SUPER stiff. I almost feel like I have no suspensions at all compared to my 2018 Canyon Spectral. I am trying to find out why is that the case.

- Of course both front and rear are fully “open”
- I have 30% sag at the rear. The rear shock has been changed by the guy, he put a Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg. The first half of the travel is so soft it’s like it does not exist, but the second half is hard as hell.
- On the front side it’s even worst, it’s stiff from the beginning. The guy was 155 pounds I am 175 so I do not understand.

First of all, on a brand new stock Rail 9.7, how did it feel for you?
Secondly, what do you recommend me?
Thanks.

Jumbleross

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi Everybody!
Thanks to the many feedbacks from people on the forum I decided to look for a Rail and I just got a used one in like new condition. I did a 11 mile trail today and the bike is fantastic except for one issue. Suspensions are SUPER stiff. I almost feel like I have no suspensions at all compared to my 2018 Canyon Spectral. I am trying to find out why is that the case.

- Of course both front and rear are fully “open”
- I have 30% sag at the rear. The rear shock has been changed by the guy, he put a Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg. The first half of the travel is so soft it’s like it does not exist, but the second half is hard as hell.
- On the front side it’s even worst, it’s stiff from the beginning. The guy was 155 pounds I am 175 so I do not understand.

First of all, on a brand new stock Rail 9.7, how did it feel for you?
Secondly, what do you recommend me?
Thanks.
I have a 9.7 and it feels almost too soft for me but maybe that‘s because I’ve come from a 135mm VPP setup. Are there any volume tokens fitted in either the forks or shock? They would make the suspension ramp real quick. For the forks maybe check grease hasn’t escaped passed the air spring which is quite an easy job to fix, there are tonnes of videos on YouTube showing how to remove, clean and reinstall.

ddbros

Aug 8, 2020
Minnesota USA
I have a 9.7 and it's very supple with stock shocks. I do run the PSI a little lower than the Trek calculator says to. I'm about 155lbs. I run the tires at 17psi.

ribtek

Sep 1, 2020
USA
I fully unmounted the rear Super Deluxe and adjusted tokens and bands and it’s better now. However I checked and the front stock Yari has the stock tokens, and I couldn’t remove it. I tried a bit lower PSI but it’s still not plush. Maybe the Yari just sucks and I am used to a better fork from my precious MTB I don’t know.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
I don't know that much about suspension but, wow, if the stock yari sucks then I'd love to try your old suspension set up!

ribtek

Sep 1, 2020
USA
I don't know that much about suspension but, wow, if the stock yari sucks then I'd love to try your old suspension set up!

My biggest problem is how harsh the fork is on small fast bumps. The chatter that go in my arms is huge even though I have a carbon bar. I have also tried the Levo and a Moustache and didn’t have these issues even with basic suspensions (fox rhythm on the moustache I think).

Supernils

Jul 17, 2020
Norway
The Yari is not a good fork. I just upgraded mine with 2021 internals. It's way better. But I'm searching for a better feel from the rear end, so I'm going to bump the travel a little and try a DHX2 coil.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
Tuning on my 9.7 suspension took some tweaking, the best advice given to me was to remove the front volume spacers and set sag to about 20-25%. Removing the volume spacers, help make it feel less harsh, if I remember correctly. I have considered upgrading the Yari, but decided to upgrade a DVO Diamond D1, 27.5 to 29. The fork change has made a world of difference, almost set it and forget it. Still running the original rear shock, does the job for now till a possible future upgrade. Running about 25-30% sag with the original volume spacers. I did try once running it fully open with no spacers and it was the worst ride ever, bottomed out on everything.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles