Jam2 issue (2019 Shimano)

Wendy67

Aug 13, 2023
New Zealand
Hi folks new to this forum hoping someone can help, my focus jam2 2019 charged last night all good, this morning it wont turn on, tried many things hold power button for 30sec push many times , brought back home and plugged in charger, blue power light lights up then dims, charger clicks and blue light brightens and dims several times then charger red fault light comes on. Also connected tec seconday pack fully charged and it wont turn on, thanks in advance :) can post a vid of attempt to charge if thats of any use.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
There seems to be lots of people having problems with Shimano powered Jams now (which I presume yours is). My 2018 Jam 2 had the same symptoms as you describe .
A new battery is often required, was with me.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
There seems to be lots of people having problems with Shimano powered Jams now (which I presume yours is). My 2018 Jam 2 had the same symptoms as you describe .
A new battery is often required.
Didn't someone manage to do a reset or something a couple of weeks ago ? Or was that to get the tech pack working ?

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Didn't someone manage to do a reset or something a couple of weeks ago ? Or was that to get the tech pack working ?

I think I read on here that somebody removed the battery, opened the casing and pressed a ‘reset button’ on the BMS that got the battery working again?

Jam2s aren’t keen on the cold sometimes, fairly early on in the ownership of my 2019 Shimano Jam2 it wouldn’t start after being left in an unheated workshop for a week or two, but when it warmed up a bit it was fine.

Not sure what the weather in NZ is doing at the moment?

Batteries are still available for these bikes, if it comes to it. 👍

Last edited:

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Hi folks new to this forum hoping someone can help, my focus jam2 2019 charged last night all good, this morning it wont turn on, tried many things hold power button for 30sec push many times , brought back home and plugged in charger, blue power light lights up then dims, charger clicks and blue light brightens and dims several times then charger red fault light comes on. Also connected tec seconday pack fully charged and it wont turn on, thanks in advance :) can post a vid of attempt to charge if thats of any use.

Can I just check please, you can confirm that the bike charged up ok, as in the charge had finished?

Reason I ask is that when my Jam2 charger failed, I plugged the bike in and it started charging, but when I returned to it the next morning there was a red light on the charger and the bike battery was flat and wouldn’t turn on.

I didn’t have a TEC pack at the time, but the only thing that fixed mine was a new charger. The bike should start with a charged TEC pack though, so unfortunately sounds like the battery has gone out of balance or something and is in some sort of protection mode.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think I read on here that somebody removed the battery, opened the casing and pressed a ‘reset button’ on the BMS that got the battery working again?
Found it ..

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
That was on the main battery. It entails cracking open the battery case, which isn't designed to be opened and finding a tiny, indistinguishable push switch.
I tried it but it didn't work for me.
Comprehensive post on here somewhere.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
That was on the main battery. It entails cracking open the battery case, which isn't designed to be opened and finding a tiny, indistinguishable push switch.
I seem to remember from a long time ago that the Shimano batteries were not remotely easy to open.

I take it the good old "hold the power for 20 seconds" doesn't do the same reset procedure :-(

It's a shame there's not a tiny hole in the case with a rubber bung to access the reset button.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Guess the manufacturer is confident the battery will last the warranty period (two years) then after that, stuff you, it's your problem now.

Mine is 4 years old now, and fingers crossed still going strong.

I must admit to a certain holding of breath whenever I’m about to switch on an e-bike, it shouldn’t be that way really.

Spares availability is the key one for me, whatever the brand. It should be possible to obtain replacement parts for a minimum of 8 years after purchase, IMHO.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Long breath holds with the Jam 2. Even when it's working properly you have to hold the on/off button down for five seconds, release it and then hold it down for another five to ten seconds and hope it turns on. ( I have very little confidence in my Jam 2 as it has been a right PITA).
At least with my Spectral On and Rail it is like a light switch, you hit the button and it either turns on or it doesn't. Pleased to say that with these bikes the motors have pretty much always turned on.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Long breath holds with the Jam 2. Even when it's working properly you have to hold the on/off button down for five seconds, release it and then hold it down for another five to ten seconds and hope it turns on. ( I have very little confidence in my Jam 2 as it has been a right PITA).
At least with my Spectral On and Rail it is like a light switch, you hit the button and it either turns on or it doesn't. Pleased to say that with these bikes the motors have pretty much always turned on.

They all seem to be individuals these bikes. The first quick press of the on button does nothing on my Jam2, but the second press sparks it to life. Only if it’s been left a few hours though, if I switch it off during a ride break, it then fires back up first press.

The Specialized Levo always fires up first time, as do my home brew TSDZ2 bikes. 🤷‍♂️

Wendy67

Aug 13, 2023
New Zealand
A new battery is often required, was with me.

Thanks, I have tried this awaiting time to put back together, I will attach a vid, interesting battery voltage is good, almost to good, thinking of draining some off ? maybe overvoltage cut out ? just putting it out there, a shame battery appears fine, just battery control module thats crook (maybe)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Thanks, I have tried this awaiting time to put back together, I will attach a vid, interesting battery voltage is good, almost to good, thinking of draining some off ? maybe overvoltage cut out ? just putting it out there, a shame battery appears fine, just battery control module thats crook (maybe)
A fully charged 36v battery could show up to 42v.

If you've got good voltage, near 42 then that's positive, at least it shows the battery has taken a charge.

Wendy67

Aug 13, 2023
New Zealand
Can I just check please, you can confirm that the bike charged up ok, as in the charge had finished?

Reason I ask is that when my Jam2 charger failed, I plugged the bike in and it started charging, but when I returned to it the next morning there was a red light on the charger and the bike battery was flat and wouldn’t turn on.

I didn’t have a TEC pack at the time, but the only thing that fixed mine was a new charger. The bike should start with a charged TEC pack though, so unfortunately sounds like the battery has gone out of balance or something and is in some sort of protection mode.
Thanks all charged fine more useful coments and vid here https://www.facebook.com/groups/627555214312522/user/100002208929273

Wendy67

Aug 13, 2023
New Zealand
A fully charged 36v battery could show up to 42v.

If you've got good voltage, near 42 then that's positive, at least it shows the battery has taken a charge.
thanks any help is appreciated, a bit of a shame to ditch a good battery, but really only good for cells if bcm gone :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I like your reset button hole !

1692252610530.png

1692252539323.png

Shorty4

Nov 7, 2022
Australia
My 2019 Jam2 is now on its 3rd battery, all replaced under warranty fortunately.
The first one lasted 1500kms and then as above wouldn't turn, charger just showed a couple of green blinks and then a red led. As the bike was relatively new at the time it was replaced by the LBS.
When the second one stopped at about 4,500kms I dealt direct with PON and they asked me to remove the battery and take to the LBS which I did as it was dead, PON sent out a new battery and the LBS gave me both batteries to take home.
After a search online found a few threads re opening the battery case which I duly did and all cells tested fully charged so assumed the BMS had shut the pack down. There was some slight signs of corrosion on the terminals and harness plug so cleaned them all up and pushed the reset button on the BMS and voila it all came back to life.
Since then with the new battery I've avoided wetting the bike as on my carbon frame there are planty of spots for water to enter even if you only lightly hose it. Now at 9,000 km and still going strong.
I've not refitted the second battery other than to connect it and test as it's a major job to remove the motor to get the battery out of the downtube. Plus it's no longer sealed as opening the case wrecks it and it will no longer seal unless I sikaflex the gaps.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I'm on my second battery, which I had to pay for and I agree with your comments re water ingress Shorty4.
I have even sealed the so called cooling vents where the cables enter the down tube.
The MK 1 Focus Jam 2 does not like getting wet.

Wendy67

Aug 13, 2023
New Zealand
connected battery up to bike this morning,done it without inserting battery in frame to test, unfortunately a failure, when you try to power it up the battery level indicator on the battery lights up but will not complete turn on, works fine with a good battery. new battery on way

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles