Jam2 Factory, what to look out for?

Matthew-B

Apr 22, 2021
Harrogate
Ebike newby here, I've been offered a good deal on a Jam2 Factory, 2017 Ex Demo model from my local bike shop, I asked for a diagnostics / health check on the battery , but they said they were unable to do this, I think this is because its a Focus battery??, so have asked for an odometer reading of the overall mileage, is this possible? its a Shimano steps E8000, thought this could give me a rough idea of what the battery health is.
Just want to make sure I'm getting a bike that isn't going to need a new battery 6 months down the line, is there anything else I should be looking out for?
Bike looked ok & rode well, few scratches, had the original tyres on it, that didn't have loads of wear on them, which was a good sign, just want a bit more detail before I part with the money.

Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What range does the bike declare on the display when fully charged? They all start out at 44 miles in Eco. They then start going down as the battery ages, or gets misused, badly charged etc. My Jam2 is a 2019 version, with 2800 miles on the clock. The Eco range on start up varies between 41 and 42 miles. The motor will have some whirring when pedalling fast, but it should not clatter or feel rough. Check the cranks for play up and down, forward and back. If there is a lot of play, it's toast, or will be soon. Unless you repair the motor yourself (see this Forum, someone did it!) then you won't find anyone doing it as a business. Does the display work properly, no cracks in the screen, is there a battery charger with the bike (could be a stolen bike if not), is there an additional charger cable with a European plug that comes with in it case you drive across to the Continent?

The rest of the bike, just check as you would normally.

I'm sure to have missed something , so others, please pile in. :)

Makende

Nov 15, 2018
Malvern Hills
Take a long hard look at the rear hub and cassette. Had mine for 2.5 years and it’s been a shocker. Tbf if it rode ok it’s probably alright but if you had any missed greats or if it unexpectedly jumped of the granny cog .......

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My 2017 Jam 2 required a new battery @ 3500 miles and 3 years....Would only charge to 4 bars and quickly dropped to 3 and when 2 came up it would ver soon drop to zero .eventually it would not charge or turn on due to corroded battery connection..I never found anybody to check battery condition ...Rutland claimed yo have the kit but they never came up with the status...Cant remember the range display .but as Steve says when new expect to see 40 miles on eco.
I take the view that the bike cost me £3k new and after 3 years it cost me £500 for new battery (plus usual Service items) ......can't be bad as I enjoyed every mile!!!
Guess the offer should be below £2k????

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles