Jacket to take the chill off.

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Hi
The weather is getting better here in the UK but still gets a bit nippy when out of the sun or up high in the Peaks.
Looking for recommendations for a jacket that doesnt have to be waterproof, more windproof and takes the chill off when the temperature is around 16 degress.
If I get too hot I can unzip it
Suggestions most welcome.
Thanks

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Endura MT500 Freezing Point Gilet is what I wear when it’s single figures, that’s most of the time up in Cumbria 😂 So it might be a bit OTT for what you want, to be honest at 16°C I’d just be wearing a jersey
I’m sure someone will be along with some other suggestions soon enough

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
A good quality base layer should keep you warm when it’s a bit nippy, but then cool as you warm up and it wicks away the sweat. Worn underneath a jersey that should be plenty

16 deg C is t shirt, shorts & shades weather up north 😀

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
Endura MT500 Freezing Point Gilet is what I wear when it’s single figures, that’s most of the time up in Cumbria 😂 So it might be a bit OTT for what you want, to be honest at 16°C I’d just be wearing a jersey
I’m sure someone will be along with some other suggestions soon enough
I live downhill from you guys in Cumbria, so not as tough.
Something lighter than the MT500 and a bit more than a jersey would possibly work for me. :):)

phlodge

Jul 2, 2019
UK
A good quality base layer should keep you warm when it’s a bit nippy, but then cool as you warm up and it wicks away the sweat. Worn underneath a jersey that should be plenty

16 deg C is t shirt, shorts & shades weather up north 😀
its a bordeline temperature for me, not as ard as I used to be. if its 16 degrees when I set off from home its often cooler up them hills. (y)(y)

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I will check that out - thanks
Ignore the waist sizes in RAB measurements. I'm 5'10"/78kg/waist 36"/chest 40", and (L) fits easy, big enough to go over winter clothing in a shower. The first one I ordered was XL and it was f*cking HUGE!

20230515_173244.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
2 options...............any softshell jacket and it does not have to be bike specific ( ie twice the price it is actually worth!!) , except it needs to have enough shoulder width to allow arms forward in the riding position without the sleeves riding up. Second option is any packable waterproof top. They are amazingly effective at blocking the wind/cold air, which is what has been affecting a lot of us further south..........warm ambient temperatures, but flipping freezing northerly and Easterly winds for most of the Spring. That type of jacket adds no weight/bulk and really adds no warmth ( assuming its breathable)so even if the cold wind eases there is little need to take it off.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
more windproof and takes the chill off when the temperature is around 16 degress.

If the beginning of a ride is going to be a bit chilly, but it will be warming up, then sometimes I don a pair of arm warmers. They warm you up just a hair, and if you decide to take them off later, they take up virtually no space in your pack.

conman

Jun 1, 2019
Keswick
Hi
The weather is getting better here in the UK but still gets a bit nippy when out of the sun or up high in the Peaks.
Looking for recommendations for a jacket that doesnt have to be waterproof, more windproof and takes the chill off when the temperature is around 16 degress.
Suggestions most welcome.
Thanks

Fox Clothing Ranger Wind MTB Cycling Vest​

I carry one of these in my waist pack. Folds up small and very light weight but surprisingly effective.

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
If I ride early in the morning, I use a ST 500 decathlon jacket and some base layer under it, along with thermal armor Brynje. In the case of wet weather, I use the Decathlon All Mountain jacket - in the summer it is packed in the rucksack as a raincoat. both are great. I have a lot of branded things, but I have not had to change these jackets to this day. I will do reviews on them if I find time

target2804

Apr 26, 2023
Germany
I just use some ODLO skiing equipment. Base Layer & Mid Layer if it is cold. I do also have a Wilson Staff Rainjacket that i wear when its raining. But if the temperature goes over 12°C, i just wear my Nineyard longsleeve and i am good to go :D

CraigR

Aug 10, 2020
Livermore, Ca
I wear Under Armor Coldgear. Either base layer and any Dry Fit T-Shirt or 1/4 zip fleece top with any dry fit T-Shirt depending on temperature. Not waterproof, but gives good wind protection (1/4 zip) and warmth but also good moisture wicking and the 1/4 zip allows some air flow if you get too warm. Very comfortable and allows good movement with no restrictions. I also wear Under Armor Coldgear leggings under a pair of shorts.

Rocketb

Dec 31, 2022
Australia
I’ve actually gone down this road too and tried jackets but warm up too quick.
On my e-bike I do shuttle runs so I use leatt stealth body armour under a ls jersey, which keeps you warm and protects, win/win.

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
I randomly picked up a Patagonia R1 techface not meaning to use it for biking and I can’t stop using it.

It does such a job at regulating heat. I even used it as my mid layer for all of fat biking season.

I do want to pick up one of those 7mesh wind jackets that strap to the bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles