• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Is this spoke/rim sound OK?

N16BS

May 15, 2021
Poland
Is this spoke/rim sound OK?

Backstory: a few months back I got a stick between two spokes that bent them near the nipples. Now one of them snapped so I replaced both. I got tension about the same as the rest of the spokes using a cheap spoke tension meter. The wheel now is slightly untrue, but nothing crazy. The wheel is 29'' DT Swiss M1900 front with 2.0 straight-pull spokes.

For fun, I hit one of the spokes with my finger and the sound felt not right. Now, all the spokes and even the rim itself sound the same. At the same time, the rear wheel (27.5' M1900) does not sound like this, it has a duller sound without the reverb. But it has the tire and the rim tape on so maybe that's why.

So I can't decide if there is a problem with the front wheel or not. From the tension-meter chart, it has even more tension than the DT recommends, but the meter is cheap so the absolute reading might be off. Still, it looks like the wheel has adequate tension.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles