Is the arse falling out of the gucci emtb scene???

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Just on watching (and drinking (for folk who don't know me;))
EMBN 'the future of E-Bikes and seems like the market is being flooded with (not my words , moderated to Chinese) Eastern Asia & European versions of everything.
Not a bad thing I think as it'll hopefully keep a check on the mainstream 4 and just getting to the part where oli motor fits the same mounts as shimomo giving a bit of hope for us with older e-mtbs not being trapped to one brand motor.
What's next, international standards motor mount?
That'll blow the tits off the market....

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Awright man. ?

Zimmer started a thread about the Oli somewhere.
With Burberry and Kappa outa stock with suppliers until late 2024 being optimistic, it now means we have very little Versace stock left as well.. So realistically we're gonna be left with no choice other than genuine Gucci or knock offs.
;)

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
It's like compuders years ago.
Chumps lumping £3-4k into dixons/currys etc for the latest singing & dancing just cos they thought they had no other option and then the market caught / opened up....
Being the market E-Bike is (mid + life, plenty spare money) the versacè option will probably still be the norm.

Big07

Aug 23, 2020
Australia
I predict we will see mainstream emtb brands move even further away from shared standards with ebikes. At the moment you can put the same shimano motor into a number of brand name and no-name chinese emtb frames. I suspect that brands will be asking shimano to make a motor housing that has the same internals but has the outer bolt holes in a different configuration so that people will not be able to mix and match parts to keep current and older emtbs running for longer.

Combined with more restrictive software as well so that motors only work with their approved batteries / controllers / etc..

Meanwhile the no name emtb frames coming out of china that use a shimano or bafang motor will continue to grow, similar to growth seem with no-name carbon frames coming from china.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nah. That's bollocks mate.
That's simply not how Shimano work. Not at all.

Technology isn't my strength Barber.
I love me an "E" but never did work out how to get an accent on one ;)

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Hell - the one thing I would think would open the market up and create some interest is some sort of standard .... won't happen though.

I predict we will see mainstream emtb brands move even further away from shared standards with ebikes. At the moment you can put the same shimano motor into a number of brand name and no-name chinese emtb frames.
Ever tried to buy a Shimano motor? Some areas are struggling to get motors to fix Out of Warranty issues (crash damage).

I suspect that brands will be asking shimano to make a motor housing that has the same internals but has the outer bolt holes in a different configuration so that people will not be able to mix and match parts to keep current and older emtbs running for longer.
And kill their business model? Doubt it - they want their part to fit for all manufacturers ... called Increasing Market Share.

Meanwhile the no name emtb frames coming out of china that use a shimano or bafang motor will continue to grow, similar to growth seem with no-name carbon frames coming from china.
Personally I have no problem with that. Have found a rather tasty looking Ti frame that could be the base for an awesome build. Even if I don't do that one, when I retire in a couple years I will be doing a build - just for the hell of it, and to recreate my youth when we used to buy a MX bike and spend hundreds of hours creating parts to improve performance.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ever hear the phrase "Just because you can doesn't mean you should"?

Titanium is a terrible material to choose to build an Ebike frame from. Particularly if it's to be an FS E mountainbike.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
True - but I have fond memories of riding a Ti Framed MX bike. Wasn't the best, but damn was it flash looking.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I have no idea with the OP is talking about.
Too much alcohol and dissatisfaction with his situation?
Watch the vid then.
It seems the market is coming alive with new brands and the fact that the oli motor fits shimano mounts (and I Don't think they'll be the only ones doing this) gives options when the inevitable e010 comes.
And building your own integrated mid mount e bike up isn't that far away IF there was some standard for motors and battery fitments.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
To the editor of my post,
The term I used wasn't meant as a derogatory remark aimed at the China Market, it was meant to be all encompassing and not in a bad way.
The point I was trying to make is that the big 4 are getting their bait put up by the new kids on the block, competition is good.
Now it does look like a jibe aimed specifically at one sector of the market.
There are loads of smaller countries coming good, oli I believe is based in italy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles