Is falling off a new emtb always going to happen?

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Having ridden bikes and mtbs in particular for the last 30+ years, now approaching 51 with more damaged body parts from the early years of riding than I care to mention, I have returned to my youth and crashed again!

This time it was a slow speed comedy of errors on my new ebike but, it has left me wondering just how many ebikers, in particular emtbs, fall off or crash early on as they are simply not used to the bikes.

Mine was daft - I wanted to go for a long ish ride on Sunday but didn't want to take a full camelbak as it was only local and so warm that something on my back would be annoying. So, I used a long neglected 1.5ltr hip camelbak thing instead.

Filled it up and went on my way. Got to a short steep uphill that has a tricky entrance through trees into a well rutted hard clay type surface. It's only 50 mtrs or so long but impossible on a normal bike as it is so steep. Put the bike into 3/5 on the assistance setting, came out of the trees and stomped on the pedals as I would on my non electric bike to clear a steep hill.

Just at the same time I stood off the saddle to bring my weight forwards. Unknown to me, my baggy outer shorts had slipped down slightly (didn't notice as the waist belt on the bladder was tighter so just felt that). As I stood up, the nose of my saddle snagged the crotch of my shorts and slammed my backside back down into the saddle. Not sure exactly what happened next but the bike was shooting off thanks to my exaggerated pedal input. It was also now heading straight into a rut and became unbalanced as I was pulled into the saddle.

Whatever happened, I fell to the left side and upwards. Felt like I'd looped out, fell off the back and landed on my back in the prickliest bush known to man. Slammed down quite hard, square onto the Camelbak - which smashed my phone screen that was stored inside it, settled to a rest and then the bike fell on my leg whilst I was still holding the bars and clipped into the pedals.

All very weird and quick and it appears the Camelbak that was used to help me get round the ride hydrated had in effect caused the crash through me not noticing the shorts displacement, then effectively saved my already rubbish back from nasty injury by being a landing pad.

After all that, I got up, scratched to high heaven. Pushed the undamaged bike down the slope and just rode straight up the hill with no drama, seated all the way and no huge pedal surges to get started.

Got another half a mile and realised my Garmin had been ejected. Went back and back again later after the ride and never found it, so that cost me £160 (cheaper thanks to Amazon sale).

Now I have the itch to go riding again, the weather to do it, a great bike to ride for a few hours and a dodgy body, aching and bruised - that says I'm going nowhere for another week or so.

Oh, and a Camelbak thing that will stay firmly in the cupboard for a while ;)

No real point to this ramble, but wondered if falling off new ebikes is a regular occurrence due to simply not being used to how they work and just how much ridiculous grip and power they offer.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I feel it's inevitable. I had the worst crash i've had on a MTB about 10 weeks after picking mine up. It was a rocky mistake where I clipped the pedal at seed into a large rock garden and flipped the bike and myself. I had gone too far too long that ride and was tired. I'm not in my mid 20's anymore and not a good recipe - fatigue and a motorised bike 🤦🏽

There is something so addictive about eMTB's though, in that they push you harder and harder- and I love that. Once the bike is dialled and you know how it feels- and explore your limits on a new type of ride- I think the accident rate lessons. To this point it's definitely a volatile stage.

Once you scratch your bike too, you also start to not feel so precious about it. My observations are that the majority of eBikers seem to be quite old and hate to even get a speck of dirt on their bikes 🤣 This is not a philosophy I follow and get the bike muddy and push the limits. This is how I see the best way to get my moneys worth!

Hold on I'm back to the start of my conversation 😁 Maybe we will fall off many times!

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I think regardless of the bike you'll eventually fall off and the more adventurous you are the likelihood of having a crash would increase.
With an ebike, I suppose you are probably more likely to ride up steep stuff that you wouldn't previously attempt and it may encourage less skilled riders to explore further out than they would on a normal bike and then increase the risk of being in a more remote location.

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
I gave up being bothered about scratches since my 3 day old Zaskar LE frame was gouged by some barbed wire wrapped around a rock it fell onto whilst being leant against a door.

Now they are just battle scars, although I sometimes have to double check after loud rock strikes on carbon down tubes.

On the crash front, although mine was a daft set of circumstances and low speed, I'm sure with the latest developments in bike both electric or not, the geometry and kit on them enables much higher speeds and forgives many a bad riding episode. Sound like an old git now but I've had a fair few 'hang on' moments over the last few years of such bikes that would have seen a big crash on the original 26" wheeled 90s mtb.

Throw the speed of an ebike into that and generally when it does go wrong, it's going to be expensive and hurt a bit !

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I gave up being bothered about scratches since my 3 day old Zaskar LE frame was gouged by some barbed wire wrapped around a rock it fell onto whilst being leant against a door.

Now they are just battle scars, although I sometimes have to double check after loud rock strikes on carbon down tubes.

On the crash front, although mine was a daft set of circumstances and low speed, I'm sure with the latest developments in bike both electric or not, the geometry and kit on them enables much higher speeds and forgives many a bad riding episode. Sound like an old git now but I've had a fair few 'hang on' moments over the last few years of such bikes that would have seen a big crash on the original 26" wheeled 90s mtb.

Throw the speed of an ebike into that and generally when it does go wrong, it's going to be expensive and hurt a bit !
Yes! The speed that these bikes go happens swiftly! It’s hard to judge until you get unstuck 😂🫠

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Having ridden bikes and mtbs in particular for the last 30+ years, now approaching 51 with more damaged body parts from the early years of riding than I care to mention, I have returned to my youth and crashed again!

This time it was a slow speed comedy of errors on my new ebike but, it has left me wondering just how many ebikers, in particular emtbs, fall off or crash early on as they are simply not used to the bikes.

Mine was daft - I wanted to go for a long ish ride on Sunday but didn't want to take a full camelbak as it was only local and so warm that something on my back would be annoying. So, I used a long neglected 1.5ltr hip camelbak thing instead.

Filled it up and went on my way. Got to a short steep uphill that has a tricky entrance through trees into a well rutted hard clay type surface. It's only 50 mtrs or so long but impossible on a normal bike as it is so steep. Put the bike into 3/5 on the assistance setting, came out of the trees and stomped on the pedals as I would on my non electric bike to clear a steep hill.

Just at the same time I stood off the saddle to bring my weight forwards. Unknown to me, my baggy outer shorts had slipped down slightly (didn't notice as the waist belt on the bladder was tighter so just felt that). As I stood up, the nose of my saddle snagged the crotch of my shorts and slammed my backside back down into the saddle. Not sure exactly what happened next but the bike was shooting off thanks to my exaggerated pedal input. It was also now heading straight into a rut and became unbalanced as I was pulled into the saddle.

Whatever happened, I fell to the left side and upwards. Felt like I'd looped out, fell off the back and landed on my back in the prickliest bush known to man. Slammed down quite hard, square onto the Camelbak - which smashed my phone screen that was stored inside it, settled to a rest and then the bike fell on my leg whilst I was still holding the bars and clipped into the pedals.

All very weird and quick and it appears the Camelbak that was used to help me get round the ride hydrated had in effect caused the crash through me not noticing the shorts displacement, then effectively saved my already rubbish back from nasty injury by being a landing pad.

After all that, I got up, scratched to high heaven. Pushed the undamaged bike down the slope and just rode straight up the hill with no drama, seated all the way and no huge pedal surges to get started.

Got another half a mile and realised my Garmin had been ejected. Went back and back again later after the ride and never found it, so that cost me £160 (cheaper thanks to Amazon sale).

Now I have the itch to go riding again, the weather to do it, a great bike to ride for a few hours and a dodgy body, aching and bruised - that says I'm going nowhere for another week or so.

Oh, and a Camelbak thing that will stay firmly in the cupboard for a while ;)

No real point to this ramble, but wondered if falling off new ebikes is a regular occurrence due to simply not being used to how they work and just how much ridiculous grip and power they offer.
Sorry to hear about your phone and Garmin. That sucks. Making mistakes are all part of the learning curve, in everything we do, at any age, as I am sure you are well aware. Emtbs are just another way to challenge ourselves and keep us young at heart! I used to crash more but the secret is to buy a better bike and gear which will make you ride better due to the confidence you will gain by not having to blame crappy gear.
Signed, 60 year old fanny packer. :cool:

Last edited:

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Sorry to hear about your phone and Garmin. That sucks. Making mistakes are all part of the learning curve, in everything we do, at any age, as I am sure you are well aware. Emtbs are just another way to challenge ourselves and keep us young at heart! I used to crash more but the secret is to buy a better bikes and gear which will make you ride better due to the confidence you will gain by not having to blame crappy gear.
Signed, 60 year old fanny packer. :cool:

Ah yes, that's a perfect justification for buying more gear. :giggle:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Once you scratch your bike too, you also start to not feel so precious about it. My observations are that the majority of eBikers seem to be quite old and hate to even get a speck of dirt on their bikes 🤣

Absolutely. It also changes the "seriousness level" at which you check the bike before yourself! This reduces over time. My bike now has enough dings that I take care of myself first.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Ride bikes, fall off. I've always accepted the deal. TBH I'd sooner be a MTB dude with a small chance of binning it into a bush* than a roadie, grating their faces off on tarmac.

* Binned it into a patch of stinging nettles two weeks ago.

Krieg

Nov 9, 2020
Berlin
I use my eMTB for commuting and the major problem I have is stopping at the traffic lights. Because once you are coming to a stop you prepare yourself to be ready for starting again, you put one pedal up and put a bit of pressure on it, but you are supposed to stop and then the bike wants to continue moving which you were not expecting. Doing all that is ingrained in my brain from decades of riding non-electric bikes and it is very difficult for me to stop putting pressure on the pedal. Two years and I still have that issue at least a couple of times per day.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I use my eMTB for commuting and the major problem I have is stopping at the traffic lights. Because once you are coming to a stop you prepare yourself to be ready for starting again, you put one pedal up and put a bit of pressure on it, but you are supposed to stop and then the bike wants to continue moving which you were not expecting. Doing all that is ingrained in my brain from decades of riding non-electric bikes and it is very difficult for me to stop putting pressure on the pedal. Two years and I still have that issue at least a couple of times per day.
Me too. Now I always just hold the brake lever until I set off again. Absolutely automatic for me now. One shock of the bike lurching towards the traffic was enough for me.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
I don’t think the speed is much of an issue personally

they’re faster on climbs but slower on decents generally and I don’t usually fall of on climbs 😂

I just see it as if you’re not falling off you’re not pushing. Mines covered in battle scars now

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
No matter how many times I plan for a crash, it never works out as planned. So I take all the precautions I need …which is never enough apparently. Helmet, glasses and gloves are my usual protection for most days but a full face and pads for those try-anything-once rides.
Recently my rides have taken me to some new trail-work so I’ve become confident in the trail. Regardless, s#*t happens.
Funny to me; yesterday, as I returned home, my neighbor’s were horrified to see fresh and dried blood on both legs(looked worse than it was). The blood thinners I’m on made it look bad but in reality it was more like my legs were used as a toy for a large cat 🐈. My wife later found some more hidden abrasions. I never realized that there are different healing creams for different things 🤔. Who knew?

And then another (smaller) bear tried to steal my pac with energy bars yesterday too. He looked lost and quickly disappeared when I chased him away. Maybe the interior of BC will have more adventures for our holiday next week. 👍🏻

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
I find riding on the road very frustrating. You get to 25KM or what ever the speed limit is and then it draggggggggggggs. Not for me.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD

I have the opposite issue, 4 years of riding emtb, I find myself putting in a pedal stroke to kick the motor in to clear a rock or root, then remembering I actually have to put effort in.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Always had a Smashing Pumpkin album blaring on the car stereo, on the drive to work, early in the morning. Now I need to get my YouTube fix when one of those tunes goes round and round in my head. Hmmm 🤔, emtb forums vs 1979. Tough call.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Been riding mountain bikes for 25+ years and never hurt myself. 6 months of riding an ebike and I broke my scapula and some ribs. I put this down to getting out more and being over enthusiastic (and under skilled). Back out again after 10 weeks recovery and loving life again. Riding more than ever.

rod9301

Oct 10, 2020
US
Very rarely feel in the down. But uphill, yeah. Trying to clear things, have to put a foot down and it's down hill, and the weight of the bike pulls me down.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles