Kenevo Gen1 Is 7.4.1 Adaptive?

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
So, I have been having some interesting experiences since upgrading to 7.4.1. First off the motor output is variable/adaptive with the update. I'm not talking about the standard pedal harder and get more power, this is my fourth Specialized eBike so I am pretty familiar with the platform. Instead I have noticed that it will change the baseline output. Not sure if this is a method to extend battery life, but during a steady climb on the trail setting it will either be in a "power" mode or "light" mode to begin. If I stop pedaling and allow the motor to stop, then start pedaling again it swaps modes. Have tried this 20+ times in the last few days and the stronger mode feels like the bike is in Turbo. Have even switched to Turbo when it alternates to the stronger map and there is close to zero difference. My settings in Trail are 35/100/0/0.

Second is a little scarier. When the bike is in Trail and the map has switched to the more powerful algorithm the power tail (the amount of time the motor runs after you stop pedaling) has gotten significantly longer. The tail is now close to two seconds in some situations. It has come close to causing some bad stuff when pedaling out of a corner for a jump. Twice now the motor has accelerated for so long that it is driving the rear wheel while I am still in the air. The acceleration is so strong that it has sent me front wheel high, like really high, with the motor still running while I am in the air which tries to throw the front wheel even higher. It is also more difficult to control in rocky/technical situations sometimes as well, but that is easier to deal with by just using the rear brake.

Anyone else noticed these changes? If you are running 7.4.1 try pedaling up a constant hill, stop pedaling for a second and let the motor stop while still moving, then pedal again and see if you notice the difference.

Ted

Apr 23, 2019
California
I have noticed this as well. I don't know if it is associated with the firmware change or not. It is sort of irritating but I just ride and try to ignore it. Maybe the torque sensor is failing. Time will tell.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
....but if you stop pedalling your cadence goes to zero whereas previous to that your cadence was quite high. Your trail setting has a max of 100 which is the same as Turbo. Your pedal assist of 35 is more like an ECO setting.
To even out the response in trail either up your pedal assist or limit your max.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
....but if you stop pedalling your cadence goes to zero whereas previous to that your cadence was quite high. Your trail setting has a max of 100 which is the same as Turbo. Your pedal assist of 35 is more like an ECO setting.
To even out the response in trail either up your pedal assist or limit your max.

I have run it this way on my previous gen Kenevo, both Levos and now this new Kenevo without issue. It is merely the minimum and maximum power settings and the TCU will figure out how it should respond smoothly. You can setup multiple profiles with three maps per profile so you can have a profile setup with very light power for riding with analog friends, a standard profile and a crazy high profile to use if you are going out with a bunch of hammers.

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
It sounds a bit more like you just co-incidentlaly have a torque sensor failing.

@Specialized Rider Care ?

That is a great point I hadn't thought of. Another clue is that the integrated power meter/speed sensor register zero about every minute or so as well when hooked up to my Garmin. As an example, riding up a paved road pedaling normally, the bike will report that I am pedaling, then that I am stopped for a few seconds then back at the actual speed I am moving. It also regularly locks in at 16.7 mph until the bike is shut down and restarted. These issues got so annoying that I disconnected my Kenevo from my Garmin.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles