Intermittent creaking

Kiwilad

Oct 22, 2024
New Zealand
Hi,

I m new to the group, looking forward to contributing and learning from others. I own a Trek Rail 5 Gen 2, have recently changed the chain and chain ring, I’m experiencing intermittent creaking mostly with I put pressure to start peddalling not sure where its coming from.

Any one else having the same experienc?

Appreciate any feedback.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
It could be anything. There is alway a temptation to link changes to causes but that doesn't necesssarily follow so you need to eliminate sources until you find the root cause. Eg. pedal standing up to rule out the seatpost. Freewheel to rule out the suspension and so on. Creaks can be deceptive too, something you're certain is coming from the rear hub could be the headset bearings.

If you're certain it's the drivetrain when you put force through the pedals then you could start at the pedals themselves, then the cranks, chainring lock nut, chain links, cassette, derailleur & clutch, rear wheel spokes, freehub bearings etc. Alternatively, if it's a new bike, dump it back on the shop & let them sort it out. After all that's what warranties are for.

But before all that, a bolt check is always a good starting point. You'd be amazed how often bolts rattle loose on mountain bikes.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles