Integrated battery or external

Bimbleball

Mar 27, 2022
Yorkshire
Wondered what the pros and cons are of each?
Personally I prefer the look of the integrated but I can’t let that be too much of a factor in my buying decision. I’d guess they’re protected from the elements better? But more expensive should a replacement be needed?

any pros to the external, other than cheaper to replace?

I’ve found another contender in my ebike search and the only thing I don’t like is the external battery. It’s a Rockrider E-ST900
Otherwise I’m looking at a Trek Powerfly 5 (used though).

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Not sure of any significant price difference, but personally I prefer the line of internal. And I will say it too, except for that bogus connector cable the way the battery fits in a Spesh is nice. I really dislike the key/lock bullshit.
If I was designing a bike I would have it fit similar to theLevo, but would have a fitting at the top for the power connectors and route the cable internally. Better technically, better aesthetically and with the recharge connector up there too, a lot more waterproof.

IndigoUnicorn

E*POWAH Master
Sep 17, 2020
Las Cruces, NM
If you need to carry a spare battery (say, for bikepacking) internal mount SUCK.

Of course the internal mount look better but the external mount are much more functional.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
The advantage of external batteries is basically the ease of removal. Now, removing a 3-5 kg piece of lead from the downtube is not so simple and most riders will not find it a good idea. the chances of dropping it and getting hurt or breaking it are real.
The internal ones have all the advantages of being safer, better attached, covered and nice looks..
Thats the reason why you will not find new models but the very entry level uisng external batt.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If your planning to transport your bike externally on a car, the ability to remove the battery, external or internal is normally necessary and advantageous if it's going on a roof rack due to the weight limit and the practical problem of lifting the bike that high.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles