• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

I'm gonna use e-max tuning to de-restrict my ep801. Do i need to order a pclink cable first or does the connections that come with the bike do the job

filthyrich777

Aug 19, 2024
Adelaide
1000006941.jpg

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
E-max works great on my ep8-rs. Try it for free and see:

Uncomfortably_Numb

Aug 9, 2024
Blackpool
E-max works great on my ep8-rs. Try it for free and see:

What relevance is that to the thread? He has an EP801 !

ep8-rs

Jul 18, 2024
US
What relevance is that to the thread? He has an EP801 !
Actually I am trying to help a new member as this forum has helped me. E-max does work with the ep-801 from what I have seen on their website , and I was simply showing he could try the free version via bluetooth connection to test out the software and see if it is what he is looking for before putting money into it.
So yes , it is relevant in that sense , although I will admit that it does not answer his question about the PC Link cable , thus , the email suggestion to emax as they have been very helpful to me.

Last edited:

Uncomfortably_Numb

Aug 9, 2024
Blackpool
Actually I am trying to help a new member as this forum has helped me. E-max does work with the ep-801 from what I have seen on their website , and I was simply showing he could try the free version via bluetooth connection to test out the software and see if it is what he is looking for before putting money into it.
So yes , it is relevant in that sense , although I will admit that it does not answer his question about the PC Link cable , thus , the email suggestion to emax as they have been very helpful to me.
My understanding is that yes the e-max app (as does STunlocker) does 'work' with the EP801, but neither can de-restrict it (yet) which is what the OP is asking.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
I've done it. It works. You need :

1) SM-PCE02 interface cable and a Windows based computer.
2) Etube Project for Windows to install the USB driver for the SM-PCE02 interface cable
3) MiniMax 2.5 from EMax and pay the 119 Euro for a license.

Follow the directions you get from EMax. It's very straight forward. If you have installed the latest 4.3 firmware for the EP801. You might need to wait a few weeks till EMax get the new patch out. If you have the 4.2 firmware in your EP801. You can do the install yourself right away.

Bear in mind you have to do a firmware upgrade to install it. So there is no roll back, until Shimano release a new Firmware. It will allow you to overwrite the de-restricted firmware, with a new Shimano Firmware release. But if there is no new firmware update from Shimano, and you want to remove the De-restricted firmware for warranty. You cannot. So if you take the motor to Shimano. They will detect the de-restricted firmware and void your warranty.

To get round this. I de-restricted with the 4.2 firmware version. Now there is a new 4.3 firmware from Shimano. I will not install that unless I need to do a warranty repair.

Last edited:

filthyrich777

Aug 19, 2024
Adelaide

2) Etube Project for Windows to install the USB driver for the SM-PCE02 interface cable

Follow the directions you get from EMax. It's very straight forward. If you have installed the latest 4.3 firmware for the EP801. You might need to wait a few weeks till EMax get the new patch out. If you have the 4.2 firmware in your EP801. You can do the install yourself right away.

Bear in mind you have to do a firmware upgrade to install it. So there is no roll back, until Shimano release a new Firmware. It will allow you to overwrite the de-restricted firmware, with a new Shimano Firmware release. But if there is no new firmware update from Shimano, and you want to remove the De-restricted firmware for warranty. You cannot. So if you take the motor to Shimano. They will detect the de-restricted firmware and void your warranty.

To get round this. I de-restricted with the 4.2 firmware version. Now there is a new 4.3 firmware from Shimano. I will not install that unless I need to do a warranty repair.
Great info thanks champ.

Unfortunately I've already installed 4.3 upgrade... so I can't roll back to 4.2 beforehand I'm assuming.. .

🍻 cheers

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
Unfortunately I've already installed 4.3 upgrade... so I can't roll back to 4.2 beforehand I'm assuming.. .
Shimano doesn't allow Firmware roll back, or even re-installing the same version. So you would need to put EMax's 4.3 firmware patch when they release it. Then hope Shimano release a new firmware, before you need a warranty repair.

That said. You can put the speed limit back to 25kph with the MiniMax software, so if your local bike shop only plug in the ETube App. It won't detect the modification. Then you can put it back to 50kph when you get the bike back.

But if the motor goes back to shimano. They will detect the EMax firmware modification, unless you put Shimano Firmware back in, and that can only be done when there is a new release.

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA

This is not entirely correct. You can indeed reinstall the same current version of firmware you have. This is a needed function because if your current firmware has an issue, does not instal correctly, you have to able to overwrite it otherwise your motor is bricked. I have the sm-pce02 and I have reinstalled the same firmware version. Also, there is a log that captures EVERYTHING you do with the motor. So your logic of upgrading to the latest Shimano firmware if there is a warranty claim would not hold if they check the audit history of the motor. Using the sm-pce02 you can pull this log and see for yourself.

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
This is not entirely correct. You can indeed reinstall the same current version of firmware you have. This is a needed function because if your current firmware has an issue, does not instal correctly, you have to able to overwrite it otherwise your motor is bricked. I have the sm-pce02 and I have reinstalled the same firmware version. Also, there is a log that captures EVERYTHING you do with the motor. So your logic of upgrading to the latest Shimano firmware if there is a warranty claim would not hold if they check the audit history of the motor. Using the sm-pce02 you can pull this log and see for yourself.
I have only looked at this in the Shimano ETube phone app. The button to download firmware to the motor, only appears when there is a new firmware to install. Perhaps this is different with the Windows App. I'll check it out.

I have checked with EMax. They definitely said you cannot roll back firmware. But perhaps re-installing the same firmware is possible with the windows app.

1724580689428.png

Re the logs : I have checked the log. There is no reference to the EMax upgrade. There is only a reference that you installed firmware. It does not say that the firmware is Emax's. It just has the revision number. So if I installed V4.3. The log would say I installed 4.2 twice and 4.3 once. But all parameters in the motor would be standard shimano EU parameters.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles