I'm at my Witts End With This Bloody Garmin 1030.

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Managed thanks to some kind advice on her to get it to sort of work except it turned the route I was following off twice with a prompt from me and it kept telling me I was heading SW and on a road, I wasn't on even turning through 180 degrees it insisted I was heading SW, anyway If at first... today I arrived at the start of a route, one I know I wouldn't dare attempt to use it somewhere I'm unfamiliar with, on turning the unit on the map that came up was where I last tried to use it rather than where I was any way the GPS was turned off, why would you want to turn the GPS off? , I never turned it off and I don't know how to turn it on. Contact Garmin Support...... emailed them 2 weeks ago and heard nothing, look on YouTube ...... all the YouTube videos appear to have been put up by BirdDogs who just run through the endless features and don't deal with snags. I came very near to throwing this very expensive paperweight in the hedge today.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I use my garmin 810 only to know my heart rate. They are also good as memory recorders, but I never got to have it working properly as a trail map.
I bought it to use as a trail guide on a trip to Moab, Gooseberry mesa, nevada... but it never showed any useful information and gets totally lost if the trail has many intersections or runs too close to itself in different sections.

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
I use my garmin 810 only to know my heart rate. They are also good as memory recorders, but I never got to have it working properly as a trail map.
I bought it to use as a trail guide on a trip to Moab, Gooseberry mesa, nevada... but it never showed any useful information and gets totally lost if the trail has many intersections or runs too close to itself in different sections.
These replies are not what I wanted to hear, I have used a Montana 610 before on my trail Motorcycle but its a bit bulky and the handlebar mount is dreadful I bought the 1030 for its GPS not really interested in the cycle computer function.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
any way the GPS was turned off, why would you want to turn the GPS off? , I never turned it off and I don't know how to turn it on.

In "Settings/Activity Profiles" there should be the list of profiles you are using. One of them by default is "Race" and the other (I think) is "Indoor". Indoor has the GPS turned off by default.

Go to the profile you usually use (RACE?) and you will find a menu item for GPS. Make sure you have the relevant GPS Mode set (and that it's not set to OFF).

There is also a menu item for Navigation. Select "Routing". Set the Routing Mode as "Mountain Biking" to be able to get offroad. Calculation Method will give you very different results - worth playing with.

Set "Lock on Road" to "OFF".

Set your "Avoidance Setup" to avoid main roads and toll routes unless you like using them. Make sure that you have "Unpaved Roads" greyed out.

Lastly, "Recalculation". I have mine set to "Prompted" which occasionally annoys me so much that I turn it off. Only have "Automatic" if you wish to go insane.

You need to set the preferences for EVERY Activity Profile you use. And, yes, GPS may be switched OFF by default in a new profile.

(The above is from my Edge 1000, but I understand that the 1030 is pretty similar in menu function for setting this stuff up).

Lastly, I find that downloading and using someone else's GPX track doesn't always work. Often there is an error which Garmin cannot explain. When this happens, I set the route to "Always Display" and just follow it on the map rather than trying to use the Navigation screen.

Asking the Garmin for a route can be successful. It gave me a good route to do an unplanned journey home today. However, in the Alps the routes were often so extreme I would have needed ropes and climbing harness!

Welcome to the Garmin Beta-Tester Community. You'll get used to nothing working as advertised - especially after a system "update".

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
That’s a good bit of info.

It was all still fresh in my mind: I changed my phone a week ago. The only way to get the Edge 1000 to connect on Bluetooth was (after much internet searching and much hair tearing) to do a factory reset on the Edge. This meant that I had to reload all my activity profiles from scratch. Oh what fun :mad:

Typical Garmin.

I vowed to get something else but I seem to be entirely locked into being one of their beta testers. :(

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
This thread is making me glad I picked the Wahoo. It isn't perfect, but it's very reliable and the route planning and execution is really good (though the screen on the Elemnt Bolt is a bit small for picking out details when in an urban area). Most importantly Wahoo have never broken it with an update!

On paper the Garmin's do tend to have a bit more functionality and marketing sheen (the Specialized of GPS maybe?! ;) ), but personally I will take "It just works" over that any day of the week...

Two Tone

Apr 20, 2020
Cambridgeshire
Took delivery of a Wahoo Elemnt Roam today so another learning curve but I'm so annoyed with myself I can't get the Edge 1030 to work I will have to stick at it until I've got it to perform so going to be riding about with 2 GPSs hoping 1 of them works.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles