I need help is this tyre and wheel tubeless compatible See photo

Dw1

Sep 19, 2020
Yorkshire
picked up my first thorn, so I thought let’s go to tubeless. I purchased bottle of coffelotex, valve inserts and tape and set to fail —— purchase new track pump and accumulator (Beto cja-001s) can I f*** get the thing to seal I’m now wondering if the wheel and tyre are not compatible, see photos. Help

AD537334-F94A-4D11-A606-D37C1CC51953.jpeg

FE08CC0A-7DD1-49E2-A1A8-FF2DC86C63AD.jpeg

B5E9F75F-4A0F-4FAA-B156-5F1674E5A04A.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Measure the internal width of the rim in mm. Check the declared width of the tyre (yeah I know they make them in inches, but convert it to mm by x25.4). The use this chart from WTB, go for the second chart down for "mountain". If you can't find your rim and tyre width on there then look at the chart above.

That will check whether the rim and tyre are compatible. But are the rims Tubeless Ready? The most likely cause of failure is the the rim tape. It could be of the type that is there solely to protect an inner tube and not to give the airtight seal of the spoke holes that is required for tubeless. I use Gorilla tape, two layers do the job. Some people don't like Gorilla tape because it can be difficult to remove, but my LBS uses it and I have had zero problems with it. It is cheap and quick to use. Be aware I have had poorly applied rim tape come on brand new wheels that were tubeless ready and the rim tape had to be replaced before I could get a good result.

Next, the tyres may not be tubeless ready. This means that you will definitely need a latex based sealant to seal the sidewalls.

Next, use lots of soapy water. This will help lubricate the tyre beads and help them to move across the rim and to lock in position. Also the presence of the water may help in a small way to restrict the flow of escaping air.

Next, remove the valve core as it will allow the air to enter the tyre much faster, faster than it might be escaping from around the beads.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Label on tyre says 30 tpii, DTC compound and wire bead. Looking at Kenda page for this tyre it’s listed as not tubeless compatible. That’s not to say you couldn’t get it to work, but I wouldn’t trust it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles