I Must've Got it Wrong . . . .

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
Spent some time over Christmas working through the purchase of a Voima frameset (ONLY) with a few of the frame accessories like protection, skid plate, brake adapters etc.

So, frame only, no actual components whatsoever, landed cost in the UK at my front door after shipping, VAT and customs duty £7,300 .... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O ..... and that's not including the price of options I don't know the price of yet. Like the swingarm sensor/rotor magnet option.

Put the sexy components on you want, even at the incredible discounts that are currently available and it's a £13,000+ bike

I think the Voima lust is coming to a very disappointing halt :(:(

That's £3k - £4k more than a top of the range carbon Canyon Strive:ON CFR Limited or Mondraker Crafty Carbon XR. Both with the best component spec. That comparison is list price as well. You can get deals on those bikes, which would make the difference between The Pole and these bikes even greater. That is some perspective

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I really want a Sonni but the import fees make it not worth it to me. There’s a UK importer but I haven’t seen what the prices are through them yet, they don’t even mention Pole in any of their websites yet.

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
I really want a Sonni but the import fees make it not worth it to me. There’s a UK importer but I haven’t seen what the prices are through them yet, they don’t even mention Pole in any of their websites yet.

Yeah .... it all seems unannounced but they apparently have a K1 and K2 they will let folks demo. I first came across them on YouTube when they answered one of my comments on a vid. They said they sponsored their own E-EWS team who ride Pole's and they were happy for me to go and have a chat. There was zero mention of being representatives/dealers/agents for the UK market

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Yeah .... it all seems unannounced but they apparently have a K1 and K2 they will let folks demo. I first came across them on YouTube when they answered one of my comments on a vid. They said they sponsored their own E-EWS team who ride Pole's and they were happy for me to go and have a chat. There was zero mention of being representatives/dealers/agents for the UK market
I think it’s still fairly early and hasn’t been announced yet, it was mentioned on EMBN a few episodes ago but they didn’t go into too much detail. They didn’t even say who it was, just said Pole will soon have a UK dealer.

I normally buy my bikes from my buddy in the US. I’ll go back to visit family and take my bike bag with me. I fly back into Edinburgh, they’ve never had any customs agents there. I thought about doing the same with buying a Pole, just fly to Finland and get it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Ou812 Don't take the piss, mucky the bike up a bit before you bring it back. You must have mucky tyres!

A number of years ago I borrowed my father-in-law's video camera when I was going on a works outing to Holland and back for a long weekend. On the way back on a quiet Sunday evening in Immingham port I was stopped by Customs. The camera was hung around my neck under my jacket and the Customs guy saw the strap and assumed that I was hiding it. He wanted proof that I had bought it in the UK or he was going to charge me import duty or some tax or other. It did look like new I must admit, but it was only when I showed him video of us setting off from Immingham that he relented.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
@Ou812 Don't take the piss, mucky the bike up a bit before you bring it back. You must have mucky tyres!

A number of years ago I borrowed my father-in-law's video camera when I was going on a works outing to Holland and back for a long weekend. On the way back on a quiet Sunday evening in Immingham port I was stopped by Customs. The camera was hung around my neck under my jacket and the Customs guy saw the strap and assumed that I was hiding it. He wanted proof that I had bought it in the UK or he was going to charge me import duty or some tax or other. It did look like new I must admit, but it was only when I showed him video of us setting off from Immingham that he relented.
If you’re bringing back a complete bike then yes, definitely ride it a bit to make it look used. You can’t do that with a frame though, I’ve brought back 4 new frames so far. I guess it depends on what airport you’re flying in to. I’ve been through Edinburgh about 30 times over the last 2 years and I’ve only ever seen customs there twice.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
At full price I doubt I would have ordered one, but the peoples champ voima I ordered early November cost 5350 euros. This was cheaper than the frame only deal by over £300.

5,350e (plus 20% vat) 6420e + 6% uk import = approx £5900

Actually it will come out to a bit more with :-
postage 150e
Race axles 160e
Keyless lock 40e
Slider 40e

So probably nearer £6300.
After swapping a few bits from my current bike it will be pretty much perfect, plus I'll hopefully have about £900 worth of new parts to sell, fork, wheelset, tyres, gx transmission.

With man maths in full swing I sold my DH bike for £1800, hopefully get about £3000 for my kenevo with a few extras plus the sales of the new parts as mentioned.
I'm hoping then the upgrade will only have cost me about £600 or so.

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Spent some time over Christmas working through the purchase of a Voima frameset (ONLY) with a few of the frame accessories like protection, skid plate, brake adapters etc.

So, frame only, no actual components whatsoever, landed cost in the UK at my front door after shipping, VAT and customs duty £7,300 .... o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O ..... and that's not including the price of options I don't know the price of yet. Like the swingarm sensor/rotor magnet option.

Put the sexy components on you want, even at the incredible discounts that are currently available and it's a £13,000+ bike

I think the Voima lust is coming to a very disappointing halt :(:(

That's £3k - £4k more than a top of the range carbon Canyon Strive:OM CFR Limited or Mondraker Crafty Carbon XR. Both with the best component spec. That comparison is list price as well. You can get deals on those bikes, which would make the difference between The Pole and these bikes even greater. That is some perspective
In my opinion you made the incorrect decision buying a frame only. I did the maths and it was far cheaper to buy a complete build then buy and sell parts than it was to buy the frame only the buy individual parts.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I've got a large size voima, intersting bike, kinda love/hate right now, finding it taxing to ride.

However your dilemma, last summer 3 out of 4 bikes broken at the same time. I want to ride daily, so spare bikes, including a voima are a necessity, okay perhaps "necessity" isn't the right word, 2024 Orbea Ltd arrives January, oh "spoiled" is the right word.

Warm Regards Ruti

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
High Rock Ruti

I've got a large size voima, intersting bike, kinda love/hate right now, finding it taxing to ride.

However your dilemma, last summer 3 out of 4 bikes broken at the same time. I want to ride daily, so spare bikes, including a voima are a necessity, okay perhaps "necessity" isn't the right word, 2024 Orbea Ltd arrives January, oh "spoiled" is the right word.

Warm Regards Ruti
You mean you feel you went for too big a size?. That's the other issue with Voima, getting the sizing right for you and your riding. I still haven't landed on K1 or K2 yet. I could ride both but . . . . . . . .

I have a Mondraker Crafty Carbon XR (150/170) which is great. Full Ohlins and top of the range everything. Also, relatively very light, as everything is carbon. So, I want to keep that and get the Voima as the bruiser for more serious bike parks and The Alps. But the way the price is stacking up for the Voima build I want, I may end up getting an analogue top spec DH bike for like literally half the price !

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
You mean you feel you went for too big a size?. That's the other issue with Voima, getting the sizing right for you and your riding. I still haven't landed on K1 or K2 yet. I could ride both but . . . . . . . .

I have a Mondraker Crafty Carbon XR (150/170) which is great. Full Ohlins and top of the range everything. Also, relatively very light, as everything is carbon. So, I want to keep that and get the Voima as the bruiser for more serious bike parks and The Alps. But the way the price is stacking up for the Voima build I want, I may end up getting an analogue top spec DH bike for like literally half the price !
High Rock Ruti

Yes should have gotten a medium, the large is 7 feet long from tire to tire tips. It's very tall, a long way to the ground. When riding tech you have to really have commit, if you have the nerve and the momentum is goes up and over everything. The 29's are fantastic for roll over, but in tight twisty single track it's a handful, ground clearance is really great, where I ride in the woods tree fall is very common and this bike clears logs well. The long bike, and the steep seat tube make this the very best climbing bike I've ever ridden, by far. It's a really great bike, but really different. I'm 6 feet tall and the bike feels like an XL to me, on the sizing chart it's in the right range. The bike is very heavy, super solid feeling despite the odd rear end,

Warm Regards Ruti

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

Just get the Voima, you won’t be disappointed. It kicks ass!

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
High Rock Ruti

Yes should have gotten a medium, the large is 7 feet long from tire to tire tips. It's very tall, a long way to the ground. When riding tech you have to really have commit, if you have the nerve and the momentum is goes up and over everything. The 29's are fantastic for roll over, but in tight twisty single track it's a handful, ground clearance is really great, where I ride in the woods tree fall is very common and this bike clears logs well. The long bike, and the steep seat tube make this the very best climbing bike I've ever ridden, by far. It's a really great bike, but really different. I'm 6 feet tall and the bike feels like an XL to me, on the sizing chart it's in the right range. The bike is very heavy, super solid feeling despite the odd rear end,

Warm Regards Ruti
That sucks.

Its my opinion that Poles sizing chart is over sized. If you follow it, your'l end up with a bike that's too big. It wont matter if you are one of those guys that just cruises trails. But if you want to get roudy, downsizing is best.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I was was watching a 5 year old pole YouTube video today and it was mentioned they used to sell bikes via mad elk cycles in Dublin, I guess they no longer do for whatever reason.
So they have used dealers previously. Whether the new UK hub will start selling bikes, or if they will be any cheaper remains to be seen.
The price plus vat is going to be the same anywhere.
If anything it could possibly only save 6% import that we have to pay. I don't know if companies have a different import tariff.

Vanquisher

Dec 13, 2023
Surrey, UK
I was was watching a 5 year old pole YouTube video today and it was mentioned they used to sell bikes via mad elk cycles in Dublin, I guess they no longer do for whatever reason.
So they have used dealers previously. Whether the new UK hub will start selling bikes, or if they will be any cheaper remains to be seen.
If anything it could possibly only save 6% import that we have to pay. I don't know if companies have a different import tariff.
You're right, the government won't change tariffs. Any savings would come from the potential level of Pole wholesale discount offered to a prospective dealer. That would probably be based on a sales volume agreement. I'm not sure who'd want to commit to any volume in this market for a bike at this price point.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
There is no VAT in the US or import fees or sales tax if you ship via regular usps mail, so a pretty decent savings if you buy from here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles