Hyper Full Suspension Mid-Drive eMTB value bike

Robert9

Nov 9, 2023
CA
I have owned the low cost full suspension Hyper Mid-Drive eMTB for almost a year with more than 900 miles logged (mostly up/down steep paved and dirt hills and trails) and would like to share my experience and be available to answer any questions or provide insights from my experiences.

Original weight 55lbs, Modified weight 47lbs with bags empty
Most weight reductions are the forks, wheels, tires, handlebars and peddles.

This is what is kept from the original bike: Frame/motor/battery/swingarm/brakes and seat-post (30.4 is a stupid size, and dropper will not work for my short 5'-6" height). At the end of the post is a list of upgrades and mods that totals about $400. Every mod listed added value.

Would I do it again? Maybe. It was a fun challenge to convert this poorly equipped mid-drive eMTB to a capable fun machine that climbs like a mountain goat, so far it’s reliable and handles reasonably well. That is assuming you don’t expect to take big jumps. Clearly not enough suspension travel or frame strength. Major upgrades (wheels and forks) were purchased used from craigslist for cheap, and most of the rest was from AliExpress or Amazon, also quite cheap. I have ridden Giant, Yamaha, Mondraker, Specialized and Trek on trails and if you’re not a crazy jumper where you need more suspension travel, the modified hyper does surprisingly well. If I had to pay someone for these mods, I recommend to just buy a finished bike for the total cost will be about the same and the suspension will be far better and overall more solid. A nagging unfixable shortcoming is the creaking that makes you wonder if something is failing. I have tightened the motor mounts, removed the underplate and the creaks continue. Makes no difference if I change wheels too. Likely due to the lack of rigidity that the big brands have, with much better engineering. If you like to tinker and are not an extreme rider, this is great bike for there are so many flaws that are easily and cheaply corrected. The end result is satisfying and conquers steep inclines, nasty rocks and rutted trails with ease. A joy to ride that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Mod List:
Used Rock Shox Reba forks 90-~110mm travel
Used Stan’s Tubeless ZTR Arch Ex front wheel with 15mm to 10mm adapters
Used Stan’s Tubeless ZTR Arch Ex rear wheel 10x135 QR through axle
Bolt through front axle (QR not secure enough for off road)
Bolt through 10mm rear axle (QR not secure enough)
Shimano Deore RD M5120 SGS 10sp locking mech (faster shifting even on power)
Shimano Deore SL-M6000 10sp rapid fire shifter
11 speed chain (stronger and same width as 10sp, plus I had it new leftover from another bike)
10 speed Cassette 11-40 (With ebike, no need for lower gears, and 11t gives better top end. Also leftover from another bike)
Note: if I was to buy new, I would go with a 10 speed 11-46 and a 40t chain ring for higher top and bottom end.
Maxxis tire, no tubes. (29 x 2.3” to clear swing arm and forks)
152mm crank arms (less thigh burn, easier for higher cadence and less pedal strikes)
Peddles with shorter stainless steel screws (less nasty shin scrapes and still grips shoes well)
Custom fabricated skid plate
Gel seat
Aluminum short stem
Aluminum handlebars (higher rise, much lighter)
Grips
Mirror
Stem mounted tool kit
Bar end tire kit and chain tool
Zoom brake levers with integrated bell (best levers… ever)
Electric horn (to scare coyotes… sometimes even does too)
Cougar/Bear pepper spray mounted to seat tube (so far not had to test it)
LED headlight and rear light
Front 180mm SRAM style rotor with adapter
Rear 180mm open slotted style rotor with adapter. (stronger breaking rotor to balance breaking force from front to back)
38t Narrow wide steel chain ring (no dropped chains and longer life than aluminum chain rings on ebike)
Reworked all linkages with new bronze bushings and stainless sex bolts (original linkages are overly tight and sloppy at the same time and stops the suspension from actually working)
Rear shock DNM AOY-36 RC (amazing difference here for original shock is near useless)
Rigid action camera mount brackets (smooth videos without camera shake)
Slide in speaker for music/podcasts
Frame storage for phone and windbreaker
Seat storage for emergency food
Small modified storage bag for first aid kit
Frame strap bracket for water bottle holder
Side insert water bottle cage
Tire pump
Insulated water bottle with integrated rubber cap
Stickers and cool dog frame badge
Wrap vinyl top tube with frame protector for bike carrier

I'll add some photos later.

Last edited:

Brian VT USA

Oct 2, 2023
VT, USA
Wow! Great write up. Thank you for taking the time.
I agree that this bike is a great value and is plenty of bike for what many riders want to ride.
I got mine on sale for $1298 USD (shipped) last summer. They were on sale for a short time last fall for $699 !!!
I almost bought a whole spare bike.
My mods. aren't as many as yours but they have made significant improvements (and weight savings).
Pedals, handlebars, and tires.
Trigger shifter (to replace the grip shifter).
120mm Rock Shocks Silver RL fork (vs 100mm stock)
Trek shock linkage to allow for a 190mm shock vs the stock 165mm
190mm DNM dual-chamber shock.
So I'm still under $2k with the mods. and very happy with it and am riding more than I thought I would (mostly climbing 4wd access roads and then descending rocky single-track).
Add to that a spare battery ($199) and a proper charger ($100).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles