How do you store/stand your ebike in the garage?

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
OK, so I made the transition from an old mt bike, to an ebike. I used to finish a ride, clean the bike (OK, so I didn't really clean it) then pick it up and hang it upside down on two hooks in the ceiling of the garage.
So that method is not going to work for me now. So, what do you do to "stand" or "lean" your bike and feel good that it is safe from falling/getting knocked over?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
46ACC0A8-8841-4173-B96D-80E9E35AAB86.jpeg

Tri metals bike store. Fits 2 EMTBs. Real quality product and you can build it in a few hours. Just make sure you have an e-screwdriver ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have mine leaned up against an old workstand, suitably padded.
After the picture was taken I started wrapping an old towel around the frame and shock to stop the glass fibre sleeve from rubbing on the shock stanchion.

Kyrptonite in situ.jpg

RipTide

Sep 2, 2019
California
I like the free standing stands. I don’t have any free wall space. The tri-metal solution is amazing. I like the bike bolted to the floor, very good idea.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
rear wheel stand, front wheel off, security chain to plate bolted into the floor. Front wheel off because I only ride off road so the bike goes into my van on a fork mount whenever I go for a ride. The bike is also more stable on just one wheel.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
OK, so I made the transition from an old mt bike, to an ebike. I used to finish a ride, clean the bike (OK, so I didn't really clean it) then pick it up and hang it upside down on two hooks in the ceiling of the garage.
So that method is not going to work for me now. So, what do you do to "stand" or "lean" your bike and feel good that it is safe from falling/getting knocked over?
I’ve tried several floor stands including the single swing arm one and this design has been the best. Works with wider tires depending on the model. They sell several widths.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
@Webike made a simple bike stand that’s good both for storing bikes and minor service work (click on link to see pic):

We use a couple like this in our garage, very handy.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I just use a pipe clamped onto my workbench vice. I just hang the front of the saddle over it. I can do most servicing on the bike like this (can be hung the other way). If I need my workbench and vice, I will tip my eBike upside down (resting on both grips and saddle) and do work on it - ala old school BMX track days. Forks need to be tipped upside down occasionally anyway to wet the seals with the internal oil in the sliders.

High Roller 02.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Standing on both wheels, leaning against the wall. It’s never fallen over .
This works for me too, but, I add a hand brake, which is awesome. For home made hand brake use one zip tie, make the right sized circle so that the zip tie fits over the handle and the brake lever held tight. I leave the zip tie on the handlebar - it comes in handy sometimes in the bush when I don't want to lay the bike down. Doesn't matter which brake :)

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Superstands are the best , lots of shops use them for floor stock. They come apart so we take them on trips , rock solid

That is what I use. Also good to take in the car to stand the bike in whilst cleaning before returning home - it avoids that awful grab at the bike which you have to make when it starts to slide down the rock you stood it against!

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
This works for me too, but, I add a hand brake, which is awesome. For home made hand brake use one zip tie, make the right sized circle so that the zip tie fits over the handle and the brake lever held tight. I leave the zip tie on the handlebar - it comes in handy sometimes in the bush when I don't want to lay the bike down. Doesn't matter which brake :)
I made one from a short piece of cord and a cord grip.
It works best on the rear wheel brake and is very useful during a ride if you have to prop the bike up against a wall or rock.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
After you have Googled "burping your brake lines" and watched an item from Evans Cycles, have a look at this from Epic Bleed Solutions. It's a similar principle but is for brakes with a bleed screw.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
After you have Googled "burping your brake lines" and watched an item from Evans Cycles, have a look at this from Epic Bleed Solutions. It's a similar principle but is for brakes with a bleed screw.

Yes, this is what I do. I figured it out after (after several years) getting no results with normal bleeding. In fact, I don't believe old school bleeding does anything. Because of the long, steep, technical descents here, I think the oil in the lines gets hot. Supposedly that's when air bubbles can occur. I also do the burp thing as pads get worn. Knowing what I know now, I'd prefer sram brakes because they use DOT brake fluid - it can handle much higher temperatures.

Last edited:

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Yes, this is what I do. I figured it out after (after several years) getting no results with normal bleeding. In fact, I don't believe old school bleeding does anything. Because of the long, steep, technical descents here, I think the oil in the lines gets hot. Supposedly that's when air bubbles can occur. I also do the burp thing as pads get worn. Knowing what I know now, I'd prefer sram brakes because they use DOT brake fluid - it can handle much higher temperatures.

Mineral oil and Dot fluid actually have very similar boiling temperatures. Shimano being 280C, Juice lubes 290C. Dot 230C-260C dry. A main difference is the fact that Dot has both wet and dry temps. Dry being related to fresh fluid, and wet being related to fluid in use that has absorbed water. As Dot absorbs water, the boiling point drops. Mineral oil in not absorbing moisture creates other issues. Both have pluses and minuses but overall do the job required.
My personal preference is for mineral as it's nicer to work with and a big plus is the bottle once opened will last indefinitely, something Dot won't.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Mineral oil and Dot fluid actually have very similar boiling temperatures. Shimano being 280C, Juice lubes 290C. Dot 230C-260C dry. A main difference is the fact that Dot has both wet and dry temps. Dry being related to fresh fluid, and wet being related to fluid in use that has absorbed water. As Dot absorbs water, the boiling point drops. Mineral oil in not absorbing moisture creates other issues. Both have pluses and minuses but overall do the job required.
My personal preference is for mineral as it's nicer to work with and a big plus is the bottle once opened will last indefinitely, something Dot won't.
I'd never looked into the figures; that isn't much difference at all.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles