Levo Gen 3 Hot charger

Timwillows

Jun 6, 2019
Portsmouth
Im used to the charger block getting warm while charging, but recently it’s been positively hot (too hot to hold comfortably) slightly smelly and with a slight buzzing noise. How unusual is this and can a dealer do any diagnostic check on the charger?

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
buzzing is probably a capacitor or something on it's way out, I'd try and get the charger replaced.
what charger do you have though? Itheres a fast charger maybe that one gets hot?

I think the one I have takes about 4 hours for a full 750wh charge and the charger barely gets warm to touch anytime I've checked it.

Greeno

Jul 6, 2024
San Diego, Cal
I have the standard charger that came with my bike and use it to charge my 700w battery.
It gets HOT, hotter than any charger I have used in the past.
From what I read that is normal, the buzzing sound probably not, have your dealer check it out.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Im used to the charger block getting warm while charging, but recently it’s been positively hot (too hot to hold comfortably) slightly smelly and with a slight buzzing noise. How unusual is this and can a dealer do any diagnostic check on the charger?

Electrical devices in the 160° F to 180° F range are perfectly acceptable. Depending on where you are, you're plugged in to 60 Hz or 50 Hz power. That's well within the range of human hearing. Electrical devices frequently make audible noise.

My only advice is the same advice that I'd give to anyone charging a bike: Do it in a well ventilated location to provide adequate cooling, and keep flammable items away from the immediate area. If he charger is functioning properly, the Bike Store Boys aren't going to be able to tell you anything helpful.

Polo1602

Jan 19, 2023
Cologne
My charger is getting hot too. When it charges the last 20% (80% to 100%) my charger also makes high frequency noises. I went to my local bike shop and the shop replaced the charger. The new one makes the same noises and getting hot too. So i think it´s normal (230V - 50Hz).

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
Bin it .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles