Hope Pro 4 35w wheelset upgrade, help with freehub body selection.

SparkyNX2

Jun 22, 2018
Wolverhampton
Hi, thinking of upgrading my wheelset on my Kenevo to Hope Pro 4 35w wheelset. I would like to use the existing cassette, so need help in choosing which freehub body to select when ordering. Most sites only state 3 options, Shimano, Sram XD, Hope. I understand that the Hope freehub selection is only compatible with Hope cassettes. Sram XD is only compatible with XD cassettes, which the existing one on the Kenevo is not XD. So do I select Shimano when ordering? Much help appreciated, and also do I choose boost, or none boost front and rear? Thanks in advance.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
You have to get boost hubs or you turn that kenevo into a wollow bucket and the tires will deflect into chain stays in rear and rub on hard corners.
I converted over to sram 8 speed emtb rear casset and that took xd

SparkyNX2

Jun 22, 2018
Wolverhampton
You have to get boost hubs or you turn that kenevo into a wollow bucket and the tires will deflect into chain stays in rear and rub on hard corners.
Thanks for the reply, I would prefer to use the existing cassette, so which freehub option do I select when ordering, thanks.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'd give Hope a call and ask them. Then ask if it's available in steel.

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi, thinking of upgrading my wheelset on my Kenevo to Hope Pro 4 35w wheelset. I would like to use the existing cassette, so need help in choosing which freehub body to select when ordering. Most sites only state 3 options, Shimano, Sram XD, Hope. I understand that the Hope freehub selection is only compatible with Hope cassettes. Sram XD is only compatible with XD cassettes, which the existing one on the Kenevo is not XD. So do I select Shimano when ordering? Much help appreciated, and also do I choose boost, or none boost front and rear? Thanks in advance.
Hi. I went for the same wheels and they are great. You need to order the larger / boost hubs and if you are keeping the cassette you need SRAM XD freehub.
I went for Shimano freehub and bought a Sunrace cassette, better spacing on the gears and it is 11-46 instead of 11-42. I prefer to not rely on the motor all the time when climbing, hence the 46, also the Sunrace cassette is a lot cheaper than the SRAM. Don't forget you will also need to fit rim tape if you are intending on running tubeless and you will need some valves. Enjoy

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
You need to select the Shimano freehub body, if you have a M8000 cassette or Sram PG . You need to make sure that you order boost sizing, if your bike has boost spacings of 110 front and 148 rear and make sure you get J spoke variant of these wheels and not the straight pull.

Last edited:

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
You need to select the Shimano freehub body, if you have a M8000 cassette. You need to make sure that you order boost sizing, if your bike has boost spacings of 110 front and 148 rear and make sure you get J spoke variant of these wheels and not the straight pull.
Doesn't the Kenevo have a SRAM cassette? According Specialized website it does.....

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Doesn't the Kenevo have a SRAM cassette? According Specialized website it does.....
Hi Taffyteg, you are probably right unfortunately he does not make it clear what cassette he has, except that it's "not XD" so therefore I'm assuming it's either a Shimano or Sram PG class cassette. I have edited my previous post to make this clearer :)

Last edited:

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Taffyteg, you are probably right unfortunately he does not make it clear what cassette he has, except that it's "not XD" so therefore I'm assuming it's either a Shimano or Sram PG class cassette. I have edited my previous post to make this clearer :)
See what you mean now, I think he has incorrectly assumed Kenevo is none XD and I am pretty certain (99.9%) it is XD... Unless someone knows something different ?

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Hi Taffyteg, just had a quick look at 2018 and 2019 model year Kenevo expert 6 Fattie and they show SRAM PG-1130, 11-speed, 11-42t, which is definitely non XD, no idea about other models of the bike and again he does not actually say what model he has :rolleyes:

Reactions: Dax

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Taffyteg, just had a quick look at 2018 and 2019 model year Kenevo expert 6 Fattie and they show SRAM PG-1130, 11-speed, 11-42t, which is definitely non XD, no idea about other models of the bike and again he does not actually say what model he has :rolleyes:
Learn something new everyday, cheers bud

SparkyNX2

Jun 22, 2018
Wolverhampton
Hi. I went for the same wheels and they are great. You need to order the larger / boost hubs and if you are keeping the cassette you need SRAM XD freehub.
I went for Shimano freehub and bought a Sunrace cassette, better spacing on the gears and it is 11-46 instead of 11-42. I prefer to not rely on the motor all the time when climbing, hence the 46, also the Sunrace cassette is a lot cheaper than the SRAM. Don't forget you will also need to fit rim tape if you are intending on running tubeless and you will need some valves. Enjoy
Thank you , I'll go with that too, cheers ?

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Just done some digging and yes according to SRAM this cassette can only be used on none XD hubs, a bit different to my Levo when it was standard ? However the cassette is designed to be used on Shimano hubs ?

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
Thank you , I'll go with that too, cheers ?
Because you are none XD and potentially running the PG1130 cassette, the price of this cassette is about the same as a Sunrace from memory. It's just the XD cassettes that are really expensive, again from memory ?

SparkyNX2

Jun 22, 2018
Wolverhampton
Just done some digging and yes according to SRAM this cassette can only be used on none XD hubs, a bit different to my Levo when it was standard ? However the cassette is designed to be used on Shimano hubs ?
Shamano freehub was what I was thinking to order, the existing one on the Kenevo is not XD. My Kenevo is 2018 Troy Lee Designs.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
As mentioned above with hope buy the steel freehub not the alloy one , the cassette will chew into the alloy and you’ll have a mare getting it off again .

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
Sorry @Tim29 but Sram 8 speed (EX1) is not XD its standard Shimano mate.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles