Holes in rim by valve leaking air

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
So just tried to go tubeless on my wife’s Liv - Giant AM25 27.5 tubeless ready rims, fitted valve, squirted in the gunk, went to pump it up but air is coming out of 2 little holes in the rim close to the valve - anyone any ideas ? It has tubeless rim tape already fitted - guess I need to empty gunk, remove tyre and check it’s fitted correctly ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The tubeless rim tape could be fitted, just not very well!
I had this on a brand new bike where the sealant was oozing from the bleed hole.
New rim tape sorted it.

It's not hard to fit rim tape correctly, except when you are on a bonus for speed and/or it's getting close to knocking off time.

Rik08

Jan 9, 2021
Leamington
The tubeless rim tape could be fitted, just not very well!
I had this on a brand new bike where the sealant was oozing from the bleed hole.
New rim tape sorted it.

It's not hard to fit rim tape correctly, except when you are on a bonus for speed and/or it's getting close to knocking off time.
Yep it was the rim tape ! Very poor fitment GIANT, new tape arrived today I’ll do a better job but not what you expect from a new bike ! Front tyre has also deflated overnight ffs !

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Also be sure the valve is fully inserted! I have seen this happening before because of this. Good luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles