Hi there

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
Hi Just joined here . At 64 and many years of riding ive decided the hills here in the Chilterns are getting steeper so need some help getting up . Ive got around £5000 ( a rediculous amout if you ask me for a bike .......!!) to splash on one. Ive looked at quite a few reviews but have seen the Decathlon Stylus at £ 3400 . There were a few reviews on these a wile ago but are they still any good and i havnt seen anything lately about the newer models.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Welcome to the Forum! :)

Bearing in mind that the bit that makes the bike "e" costs about £2k per bike* (motor, battery, display, wiring, mods to make the bike stronger, bigger tyres.......). Therefore, if you normally spend around £3k on your regular full suss emtb, then you are likely to be happy with the result of spending £5k on an emtb. But you might be dissatisfied with the bike at spending £3.4k.

The value for money bikes I read about are the Vitus range from CRC. Don't misread value for money as "shit"; Vitus emtbs get some cracking reviews.

*Note: £2k is my informal assessment, I have not done a detailed survey. I'm sure that others on here who build their own emtbs will be better placed to give a more accurate assessment.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
There are currently some amazing deals on Trek Rails at the moment - like 2022 Rail 7 reduced from £5800 to £4800. If I was buying now that is what I would buy.

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
Thanks for the thoughts . Had a look at the Rail 7 but seen the 5 625 for around £4000 less in some places. As its the same frame and motor is the 7 worth the extra ?

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks for the thoughts . Had a look at the Rail 7 but seen the 5 625 for around £4000 less in some places. As its the same frame and motor is the 7 worth the extra ?

The 5 has basic rims with tubes, whereas the 7 has better rims and tyres and is already tubeless. The 7 has a better drivetrain and shifter, and better forks. My wife has a 5 which I've put tyres on and converted to tubeless (£110), a better dropper post (£180) 'cos she needed more drop, and some nice pedals. She's happy with it.

I bought a 5 but already had a Fuel EX with upgraded forks, wheels, brake levers, and shifter that I simply moved over to the Rail. But I've upgraded lots of other stuff too.

If you're just starting off the 5 @ £4k(ish) is a very good deal then you can decide what you want to upgrade later on and have the money in hand.

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
Going to the Trek LBS dealer on Monday to have a look . As im still old school an ride a 26" hard tail any idea on the sizing ? Was thinking medium acording to the Trek site. ( im 5'8" )

billybodger1

Dec 11, 2022
uk
Been to the Trek LBS and tried a Rail 5 in a small but they hadnt got the next size to see what that was like . Im not to far from Swinley so am going to hire one to see what they like as ive never realy riden a EMTB apart from a quick go on a mates old levo. Looking around today i looked at Obea rise H30 . Liked that a lot and around the same price point as the Rail 5 also just seen a Levo Turbo Alloy at £4500 so off to have a look at that on Monday ! . Totaly diferent bike to the Rise . Its the entry level with a 500 w battery and a lot heavier than the Rise . Will be interesting to see what the real world differnce in weight is .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles