Hi Everyone! Hunt Wheels, HG vs XD?

dev23007

Jun 30, 2024
USA
Just joined and had some quick questions if anyone can help. I purchased an Aventon Ramblas and have ugraded for, bought some tires and was considering new tubeless wheels for this bike. I was looking at a more budget friendly option with the Hunt Trailwide 29 HG Wheels with their current sale seems like a good deal. My local bike shop is saying if i buy new wheels i should switch from HG to XD and get a new XD cassette with it? Thoughts? Is this worth it, are these wheels good? Recommendations? Thanks in Advance!

cozzy

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Sram xd cassettes are expensive. Better off with a steel hg driver and Shimano linkglide in my opinion.

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
You should buy ebike specific rear wheel because they have steel freehubs which can take the ebike forces. And for such a bike xd is too expensive, go with Shimano linkglide, you get whole drivetrain for price of GX cassette 😀

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
If all your drivetrain is Shimano. Stick to HG and Shimano. HG will accept the 11 speed Linkglide 11-50T cassette or Hyperglide+ 11-51T cassette, if you want to upgrade cassette, derailleur and shifter later.

If it's a SRAM drivetrain. Then if you want to stick with SRAM. Then XD hub gives you better upgrade options. But it is expensive.

JackJohnston

Jun 30, 2024
Warsaw
Just joined and had some quick questions if anyone can help. I purchased an Aventon Ramblas and have ugraded for, bought some tires and was considering new tubeless wheels for this bike. I was looking at a more budget friendly option with the Hunt Trailwide 29 HG Wheels with their current sale seems like a good deal. My local bike shop is saying if i buy new wheels i should switch from HG to XD and get a new XD cassette with it? Thoughts? Is this worth it, are these wheels good? Recommendations? Thanks in Advance!
Hi,
Switching from HG to XD will require a new XD-compatible cassette, which adds to the cost. Whether it's worth it depends on your riding preferences and compatibility needs. The Hunt Trailwide 29 HG Wheels are generally well-regarded for their performance and value, but consider consulting with your local bike shop for personalized advice based on your specific setup and riding goals.

Jack:)

jackamo

Subscriber
May 25, 2023
UK
If you're buying hunt make sure you buy spare spokes and nipples .
And the shop just definitely wasn't to sell you a cassette, HG has been perfect for decades .

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
Hg all day long, nx Cassettes are less than $100 and they are all steel. Alloy cogs and e bikes not a good mix.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
I bought a set of these there bit heavier but they can take some punishment
I've been running xd for a few years
Riding is my passion so not worried about the extra cost of maintaining the components

Screenshot_20240707_103624_Chrome.jpg

ant02496

Jul 6, 2024
United States
For cost effective, get whatever is the cheapest and ride carefully.

CarolinaCrawler

Jan 30, 2023
North Carolina
Just some food for thought, I was told by Hunt that the E_Enduro wheels are being discontinued and replaced by the E_All Mountain. Hunt said they will stock parts for the wheels but once what they have are gone that's it.

I have a set of E_Enduro wheels and wanted another set when I asked about the E_All Mountain. I went the the E_All Mountain because I was scared a few years down the road I wouldn't be able to get parts. The E_All Mountain wheels are nice but the E_Enduro wheels are just plain beef. They were probably overkill and that's why Hunt came out witht the E_All Mountain. The All Mountains are probably plenty and quite a bit lighter.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Just some food for thought, I was told by Hunt that the E_Enduro wheels are being discontinued and replaced by the E_All Mountain. Hunt said they will stock parts for the wheels but once what they have are gone that's it.

I have a set of E_Enduro wheels and wanted another set when I asked about the E_All Mountain. I went the the E_All Mountain because I was scared a few years down the road I wouldn't be able to get parts. The E_All Mountain wheels are nice but the E_Enduro wheels are just plain beef. They were probably overkill and that's why Hunt came out witht the E_All Mountain. The All Mountains are probably plenty and quite a bit lighter.
There E All mountain I can get hold of now 31mm internal rather than 37mm
I wondered why I couldn't 27.5mm rear wheel on its own All the out going wheels pairs tell a lie I could get a front wheel on it own
Still a good rim
All mountain pair about 300g lighter
Maybe people were worried about buying them cos of the weight
Hub are bullet proof

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles