Hi All, Newbie.....Currently looking to buy first EMTB....4K (pounds) Max spend

ROUTHY13

Oct 7, 2020
Bulkington, Coventry
So looking for first EMTB, currently on hardtail Specialized Rockhopper. Mates all got EMTB'S and I can't keep up at mo, and they all old boys, it's getting embarrassing :)..............anyway only want to spend 4K GBP max, ideally 3K (but from what I can see for full sus EMTB...not so many options)...........Looking at Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 pro 625.............could go to the 140 travel................will be mainly XC trails, bridleways etc..........few downhill.......is 120 travel enough ? ..............thoughts be welcome, cheers

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Nope.
Most importantly what colour do you want? ;)
I would say go for a minimum of 140mm. The 12mm bikes are basically low end bikes for the occasional venture offroad, but not really for trails or anything a bit more adventurous.
I got my wife the Cube Stereo 140 Race and she loves it. also does trails now that surprise me and that I wouldn't have thought possible for her.
If you can stretch your budget to the Stereo 140 SL 625, you will be a happy camper for a while to come.
For under €4000 you can get the Race which is also a pretty decent bike. The suspension is not as good as the SL, for example doesn't have a lockout, but still does its job. Tell you the truth, I don't use my lockouts almost at all.

NOTE: For the same price you can thet the same models with 160mm travel, but with 27.5 wheels. I preferred the 160 over the 140 but that is up to you

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I bought an Orbea Wild FS 20 a few weeks ago for £3950. 160mm Fox suspension, Bosh Gen4 motor and 29" wheels. I went for 160mm travel, it seems to be the "sweet spot" for a bike that will do everything.

Sig

Oct 10, 2020
Zurich, Switzerland
Would also look at Canyon, they seem to have the Spectral:ON on sale, or a Ghost ASX. Should both come out at about 4K Eur.
Also - look at German dealers and figure out if it makes sense to ship over. I live in Switzerland, and saved ca 15-20% by getting the bike from Germany.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Would also look at Canyon, they seem to have the Spectral:ON on sale, or a Ghost ASX. Should both come out at about 4K Eur.
Also - look at German dealers and figure out if it makes sense to ship over. I live in Switzerland, and saved ca 15-20% by getting the bike from Germany.
You can also claim the vat back on the border and save 19% (Ok 17% coz of corona). Of course paying the 7.7% rate in Switzerland. Still 10% on a €4000 bike is €400!!

Sig

Oct 10, 2020
Zurich, Switzerland
You can also claim the vat back on the border and save 19% (Ok 17% coz of corona). Of course paying the 7.7% rate in Switzerland. Still 10% on a €4000 bike is €400!!
And if ordering online w delivery, pick a dealer that already charges the 7.7 Swiss VAT, else there are additional costs; all in all about 10-12% incl VAT.

Riotsloth

Sep 16, 2018
Haywards Heath
Hello! I just got my Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 625 delivered yesterday. It's the pale green colour (which is gorgeous) and my first full-sus bike and first eMTB. I've only ridden it a bit but absolutely love it and I suspect it's capable of way more than anything I'm going to subject it to, as I just want to get back cycling on off-road trails across the country with my partner. I'm 50 now and not planning any extreme downhill antics. It seems a brilliant bike to me, but I suppose only you can answer whether you need more travel or not?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles