Heya from Canberra, Australia

AJ175

Jan 8, 2021
Canberra ACT Australia
Hi all

Another newbie checking in here.

Just bought a 2021 Merida eOneSixty 700 last week. I've been riding analogue for a number of years and still have a 2020 Scott Genius 940 for days I am group riding or feeling really fit.

Happy I found this forum as I quickly realised that eMTB is a whole different and new beast. I still find myself smiling from time to time for no other reason apart from the expectation of my next eRide.

AJ

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Hey AJ . Welcome to the club . So a fellow canberran huh . Not shore if i spelt that right. Where do you ride your bike ? I ride to work . Also stromlo. And just around where I live in belconnen. I have also ridden majura pines once . Have been meaning to head back there . Cheers .

AJ175

Jan 8, 2021
Canberra ACT Australia
Hey Maynard. I have ridden most trail networks around Canberra but mostly ride Stromlo as I live 3kms from the main gate.

What bike do you ride? Maybe we might see each other on the trails

AJ175

Jan 8, 2021
Canberra ACT Australia
Hey Steve38

For me the 700 was a good choice between cost vs features. The XT set up is great as is the fork. I felt the 500 wasn't spec'd well for the type of riding I do.

I have only ridden it 3 or 4 times and can't complain.

First piece of advice - remove the battery tool from the rear axle mount. Mine didn't last the first ride and it is on the trail somewhere???

Second - remove the battery before you transport the bike. I have a ute and it is a bit heavy to lift in and out of the tailgate with the battery on bike.

Others night want to chime in if this is good advice or not?

Third - get the store to help you set up suspension and tyre pressure. This is always my advice for any new bike.

Fourth - get the shop to set your seat height. The cable runs back through the frame and if you drop the top door in the frame is an absolute pain to retrieve.

Fifth (and most importantly) - this bike is capable of almost anything you point it at. DONT TRY TO WIPE THE SH!T EATING GRIN OFF YOUR FACE.

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
Hey Steve38

For me the 700 was a good choice between cost vs features. The XT set up is great as is the fork. I felt the 500 wasn't spec'd well for the type of riding I do.

I have only ridden it 3 or 4 times and can't complain.

First piece of advice - remove the battery tool from the rear axle mount. Mine didn't last the first ride and it is on the trail somewhere???

Second - remove the battery before you transport the bike. I have a ute and it is a bit heavy to lift in and out of the tailgate with the battery on bike.

Others night want to chime in if this is good advice or not?

Third - get the store to help you set up suspension and tyre pressure. This is always my advice for any new bike.

Fourth - get the shop to set your seat height. The cable runs back through the frame and if you drop the top door in the frame is an absolute pain to retrieve.

Fifth (and most importantly) - this bike is capable of almost anything you point it at. DONT TRY TO WIPE THE SH!T EATING GRIN OFF YOUR FACE.
Thanks AJ

All good advice - I will be loading in and out of a ute tray also so weight is certainly an issue here

look forward to that grin !

Cheers

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Lucky you! I was in Canberra last week and did 80km at Stromlo in 3 days on my E160 9000. The bike was amazing there. The top to bottom run is a killer once you have done it 3 times in a row with no break haha.

maynard

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Lucky you! I was in Canberra last week and did 80km at Stromlo in 3 days on my E160 9000. The bike was amazing there. The top to bottom run is a killer once you have done it 3 times in a row with no break haha.
Yep . On my 3rd trip . A nice guy at the top on a normal bike spotted my awesome skills . And said have you been doing that trail . I was like yep I'm so confused . Only found that track cos another guy showed me it the trip before . He was like ohh . You probably should take the old track over the back. A bit more new guy friendly. Except he said it not like a dick . And I actually enjoyed it . Yep I've loved stromlo ever since . But yeh you gotta be careful. So many people have fucked themselves up on that mountain..

Matt_Rider

Jul 13, 2020
Melbourne Australia
Yep . On my 3rd trip . A nice guy at the top on a normal bike spotted my awesome skills . And said have you been doing that trail . I was like yep I'm so confused . Only found that track cos another guy showed me it the trip before . He was like ohh . You probably should take the old track over the back. A bit more new guy friendly. Except he said it not like a dick . And I actually enjoyed it . Yep I've loved stromlo ever since . But yeh you gotta be careful. So many people have fucked themselves up on that mountain..
My girlfriends dad bought an E160 last year. He's been doing Stromlo for 7 years with no issues. Got the bike, went straight there, climbed the fire trail to Evolution and within 100m was on the ground with his elbow in pieces sticking out through the skin and into ER.

AJ175

Jan 8, 2021
Canberra ACT Australia
I went OTB at Stromlo and broke my collar bone in 2 places and still have a titanium plate and 6 screws today.

Meh - bones heal! What are you going to do? Stay at home wrapped in cotton wool?

AJ175

Jan 8, 2021
Canberra ACT Australia
20210113_132456.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles