Help with first eMTB purchase

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Greetings.

I am an old dog getting back into MTB. I used to bike quite a bit 10-15 years ago but hundreds of low altitude deployment military airborne jumps have taken their toll on my knees and hips and I had a lot of trouble keeping up in the recent years and I'm only in my thirties. I recently got exposure on an eMTB and it has me looking at making my first purchase to get back into it.

Ive been doing quite a bit of research but there are some things I havent been able to get clear answers on so I thought i'd start here. I am in the US and local dealer support is important to me. My area doesnt have the most active biking community so my LBS options are limited a bit to either Specialized or Trek. Neither LBS has any current Levo's or Rails in stock so Ive only had some limited time on old 2018 Levo's and 2019 Powerfly's, all base models so I dont have any hands on time with the newer tech, nor any real experience with these on a trail (all sidewalk tests). I guess what I'm looking to find out is what model would suit me and my needs a little better. The trails around me are more XC oriented with a bit of more aggressive downhill here and there but due to the prices of these eMTB's I want to invest in one that will grow with me and any increasing experience for more serious riding in the future.

Right now Im down to either the Levo Comp or Rail 7/9.7. Both Makes seem to have similar geometries and suspension travels but they do have entirely different motors. What I havent been able to research is whether the Brose 2.1 and its 90nm torque would be better suited for assisting with climbs over the CX performance's 75nm? Has anyone in a bit of limited athletic ability that has rode both ever said to themselves; "I wish i had just a bit more grunt on this climb?" is the 15nm torque difference noticeable? this concern comes from having some knee issues. While the Brose power seems appealing, the reads of all the motor failures has me wary. IMO its unacceptable for a product of this price point to be having so many issues without a correction initiative from the company. However their immediate availability to order and have delivered in a week is appealing. My concern with the Rail is that they arent released to the US market yet and there is really no long term tests on these and the Trek forums here arent as active, is the Bosch CX having just as many issues but just not reported as they arent as popular?

Based on some of this, what would you guys recommend? Id love to hear some opinions and perspectives on the capabilities of these.

Cheers!

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The Specialized allows you to use the third party aftermarket BLEvo app. This just opens up a massive rage of tunability to the Brose motor to suit your riding and supports heart rate on the fly tuning and more. Another app available is Egenius and it to is fantastic with a full auto mode and ability to make the 3 standard modes into 6 or 9 modes. (You will only void your warranty if you break the factory speed limiter.)The Specialized is also available with a 700wh battery so that’s a big plus towards the bikes range before the battery runs flat. Specialized warranty is second to none and you won’t have any problem getting any work done if needed. Their Roval wheels that come on the bike carry a lifetime warranty too.
My 2018 Levo done 6800km and had just a slight roughness in the bearings when back pedaling. I ride through a deep creek about twice a month, so it is to be expected to have bearing issues eventually. So after 18 months, motor was replaced under warranty, no worries. There are a lot of Specialized bikes out there, and thus you hear a lot of bad press re motor or battery failures. All manufactures have some problems, so just keep this in mind.
Pros
- Quiet motor
- Powerful torque
- Excellent warranty
- Great resale
- Excelent tunability

Cons
- High purchase price
- lower spec components

As for the Trek... I know nothing

End of the day, choose the bike that makes you happy.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I chose the Levo for the extra torque to help carry my 125kg/275lb, the option of a 700wh battery and the ability to customize all the assist levels. I have had some warranty issues, but all have been sorted out immediately by my LBS.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
The 2018 levo I rode had a crazy high cadence at speed limit, 20mph with the 11s cassette. Has the gearing changed at all in 2019/2020?

Yeah the blevo turning seemed really cool as well, another plus to the levo

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The 2018 levo I rode had a crazy high cadence at speed limit, 20mph with the 11s cassette. Has the gearing changed at all in 2019/2020?

Yeah the blevo turning seemed really cool as well, another plus to the levo
Same gearing I believe 32t front and 11 out back. You could go as high as a 36t front ring if need be.
Here is a interesting chart comparing motors.

E2CD5065-2D16-4D0A-A7C3-956E31E714D6.png

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Not too keen on the 2019 Trek and a bit biased to be fair as I have never found any of their MTB to suit me. With the eMTB something about the couple I looked at screamed stay away.
Saying that, the new 2020 Rail does appear worth a look. Maybe it is the new Bosch CX with the 625Wh battery being a little smaller necessitating a minor redesign around the motor bay?

2019 Levo Comp against a 2019 Trek and I would take the Levo every time. 2020 vs 2020 and I think the Trek may come in better value for money - which is hard to say considering I think both are over-priced compared to the competition.

Captain45

Oct 1, 2019
Usa
Ordered my 2020 Comp. Received 10% off to boot. A week for shipping is going to feel like an eternity!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles