Help with Energypak battery blinking light codes

SeaPanther

May 5, 2021
Socal
Hi I got a used new to me Giant Roam E+ that wasn't charging. So I opened the pack and charged at the main leads, by-passing the bms. This worked fine for a couple of runs. Still wouldn't charge through port though, and not with the supplied charger. Popped pack open again, and charged main ports, but this time with a different charger, and left overnight. The next morning I read 42.7v, but don't think much of it. Put the pack on the bike. It turns on briefly, then turns off. Dead. The battery led blinks when touching the button. So I took it back out, and disconnected the main ports, and put a small load on it to lower the voltage to 42V. Put battery back together, LEDs show 5 bars. I slide in battery and bike is completely dead, not turning on. I am attaching a video of holding the battery button for 5 sec. Can somebody tell me if the flashing sequence is a code and if it shows that the battery is dead or bricked? Or could I have fried the controller? I hold for 5sec, LED 1 & 3 briefly flash 2x, then LED 1 stays lit for ~1sec. I hold again for 3-5sec and LED1 & 4 briefly flash, then all 5 flash 6x. Pushing button for about 1sec shows battery full and all LEDs solid.
These are the only events that happened.
Link to small video of battery lights flashing: Giant Roam E+ Battery.m4v
Direct link here: https://filedn.com/lIxB5ENGe7VLmxBq1AUEmxb/Forums/Giant Roam E+ Battery.m4v
Yamaha_Roam_e+_App_Reading.jpg

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
Never seen this issue before, and its hard to know if the problem is with the battery or the charger, or the bike's energy management system, or a mix of all three. If you have a dealer near you take it there and ask them for a solution?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I don’t really get what you did. Did you plug the charger in to bike or the battery? I charge mine at the battery rather than bike. This may or may not help.

IMG_2257.jpg

SeaPanther

May 5, 2021
Socal
Thanks guys. the lights I am talking about are on the battery. The handlebar control unit does not turn on at all. Pretty sure the bms is shot. I drained the voltage with a load to 38v and it still shows 5 LEDs, full when I push the button, and won't accept a charge. On the battery, I have 2.5v at the second terminal to ground (ground being 1st terminal). I get 2.5v at terminal 3 and terminal 4 intermittently, but only rarely, while charger plugged in. I have to take the bike to dealer 250miles away and their wait list is 3 weeks.
Tightly proprietary and closed up system it seems.

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
It means overcharge
1620411920545.png

1620411967779.png

Maybe check for yourself in the attached pdf for the other errors.

Attachments

• Service_Manual_2020_v1.0_EN_LoRes.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 3,826

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles