Help removing cranks

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Not EMTB related, but I know someone on here will know the answer.

My girl has moved on from her 20” Specialized RipRock onto a 27.5” Rockhopper Expert.
The Riprock is a great bike, and I’d love to re-purpose it for my son in about a year when he’s big enough. It’s bright pink though… which is not a colour he likes!

I was going to strip it down and have it resprayed to a colour of his choice. I know how to remove everything else, so thought I’d have a look at the cranks whilst in the garage today.

They have an 8mm hex bolt in the centre, so I removed that. Both were pretty tight, but came off ok.

See below for the pic of what’s underneath.
Any idea how I get these off. I tried hitting (gently!) with a rubber mallet wondering if they just pull off. Either I wasn’t hitting hard enough, or there’s something else?

Any help appreciated!

IMG_8120.jpeg

IMG_8119.jpeg

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Watched a couple of videos and thought it was going to be an expensive process - but turns out I can get a tool off Amazon for under £4!
Should be with me tomorrow - and I can hopefully get the bike stripped down.
Thanks again 👍

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
£3.10 from Amazon, next day delivery… and combined with my large shifter, each crank arm came off in about 2 mins.

My next question will probably be how to remove the bearings (headset and BB)… but I’ll probably find that on YouTube too. I’ve got a few bits to remove before I get to that point though.

IMG_8134.jpeg

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
£3.10 from Amazon, next day delivery… and combined with my large shifter, each crank arm came off in about 2 mins.

My next question will probably be how to remove the bearings (headset and BB)… but I’ll probably find that on YouTube too. I’ve got a few bits to remove before I get to that

My next question will probably be how to remove the bearings (headset and BB)… but I’ll probably find that on YouTube too. I’ve got a few bits to remove before I get to that point though.

View attachment 139074
One in shed long time since I used it. Retro tool now or is it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles