Help Needed: Giant 2021 Trance E+ Dead After Bending Pin

slider

Sep 20, 2024
Sweden
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and recently bought a 2021 Giant Trance E+ second-hand. I wanted to add a EVO SG display to the bike, but while connecting it, I accidentally bent one of the pins on the cable which is connnecting to the ridecontrol switch on the steeringwheel. I carefully bent the pin back into place, but now the bike is completely dead—no power, nothing, when i connect the charger it says no battery but the battery is fully charged

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any idea what the issue might be? I'm hoping it's something I can fix without too much trouble. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
You need to determine if something is shorting out, or just missing a connection.

Unplug all devices on the handlebar and plug in the charger. If the charger now sees the battery. There is a short circuit in the connections to one of your handlebar devices. If the charger still sees no battery, then there is a missing connection to your handlebar devices.

Once you have determined whether it's a short circuit or a broken connection. You'll need to find the problem using a multimeter.

I'm an electronic technician. I hope this helps.

slider

Sep 20, 2024
Sweden
@Astro66 did remove the display connection and the charger led did the following squense "blink 1 time red - green - red " and thats it ..makes any sense ( no display was connected ordered now a new ride control )

Astro66

May 24, 2024
Sydney Australia
@Astro66 did remove the display connection and the charger led did the following squense "blink 1 time red - green - red " and thats it ..makes any sense ( no display was connected ordered now a new ride control )
I'm not familiar with the lights on the Giant charger. But if the charger lights display correctly when ride control is unplugged. Then it's quite possible the ride control switches are the problem. But it could also be the cables. Part swapping is the only way to work that out.

But it's difficult to make a diagnosis remotely, which is why you would get so few replies.

slider

Sep 20, 2024
Sweden
It actually didn’t matter if the ride control is connected or not - sequence is always red green red, not sure what this means but before it always blinked green when the charger was connected

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Blinking green is the correct behaviour when charging. Sorry to hear you're having trouble, is there not a local Giant dealer that could help?

slider

Sep 20, 2024
Sweden
It actually didn’t matter if the ride control is connected or not - sequence is always red green red, not sure what this means but before it always blinked green when the charger was connected
Not really no - there is a shop 50km from me will contact them 🥲

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Well, Giant is not a direct to consumer brand and they do support a network of retailers that should (usually) be trained on their products. The net value for the retailer, even if you didn’t buy the bike there, is most likely you will end up buying some parts from them and probably be one more happy customer shopping there... 😊

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles