Levo Gen 3 Help diagnosing rattling

daveawb

Jul 16, 2024
Bracknell, UK
Hey all, I've had a 2023 Levo Comp Alloy for about 2 months, I've ridden about 650 miles on it during that time. I set up the suspension to my weight when I got the bike and have been adjusting it periodically as my overall weight has been dropping from all the riding.

About 3 weeks ago I noticed a rattling sound whenever I was going over rough terrain, this rattling got progressively worse over a one week period.

Tightening the stem bolts was the first thing I tried, I then just gave everything a slight tighten with a torque wrence (calipers / axle etc) but no difference.

I then noticed that I do not get any rattling when the front shocks are under compression. I'm starting to think that the rattling is coming from the shocks when they move rapidly from compressed -> uncompressed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Would some pics help?

Front forks are Fox 36's.

Thanks for any responses in advance.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
headset loose? did you take any forward/back play out of it by tightening the centre nut? pads moving in caliper perhaps?

you could take the fork off, and rattle it around to see if its that. would need brakes re-centreing etc after though.

RichMorr

Subscriber
Jun 16, 2024
Uk
I have the 2024 comp Alloy and have similar rattle and I have done the same as you checking every nut on the back of tight and toque to spec. I’m thinking it could be some cable rattle inside the bike going over bumpy terrain.

daveawb

Jul 16, 2024
Bracknell, UK
headset loose? did you take any forward/back play out of it by tightening the centre nut? pads moving in caliper perhaps?

you could take the fork off, and rattle it around to see if its that. would need brakes re-centreing etc after though.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Pads moving in the callipers, I hadn't considered that, I can't see how they would stop rattling when I put weight onto the front forks though, still worth testing.

I may have taken some play out of the headset by tightening the centre nut but if it was the cause there was no change before me tightening it and after so unsure.

daveawb

Jul 16, 2024
Bracknell, UK
I have the 2024 comp Alloy and have similar rattle and I have done the same as you checking every nut on the back of tight and toque to spec. I’m thinking it could be some cable rattle inside the bike going over bumpy terrain.
I read somewhere whilst researching the rattling that some of the bushings for the cables could not be seated properly and may need some adjustment/gentle coersion, I haven't done this on my bike but thanks for reminding me, I am going to check them later.

Reactive

Apr 15, 2022
SF Bay Area, CA
I had same problem. Tightened stem, checked everything. Took to the local dealer finally: it was the front fork itself. You can identify by having the bike on the stand with the forks extended and you will be able to feel play between the upper and lower stanchions. Replaced with a Fox 38. Solved the issue and is probably the best upgrade for the alloy.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I read somewhere whilst researching the rattling that some of the bushings for the cables could not be seated properly and may need some adjustment/gentle coersion, I haven't done this on my bike but thanks for reminding me, I am going to check them later.
Rattles and creaks drive me crazy! Mine rattling turned out to be a Magura MDR-P floating rotor (the steel rotor seems to be a tad loose in the spider until it heats up) and the front brake line that needed to be trimmed as it was hitting the stem on lumpy trails where the fork was using most of its stroke.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles