help diagnosing a minor issue - popping sensation in left pedal

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
I'm somewhat ashamed to say I haven't ever really made the effort to learn a lot of bike maintenance skills, better late than never I guess!

As the title suggests I'm experiencing a "popping" sensation, like someone lightly tapping the sole of my shoe with a hammer at the top of each pedal stroke. Always at the top and only on the left foot. It is not particularly audible, more sensation than anything, but it feels like it is becoming more pronounced.

I've had bottom bracket issues with past bikes and that always felt like both pedals were affected, so would I be correct in thinking this is either the pedal or the left crank arm not being tight? It's DMR V6 pedals, which are the first pedals I've ever had without traditional bearings. Not sure if they could be the source.

Any tips on what to check/how? I don't have a great collection of tools although I'm gradually adding them, so I'm thinking a pedal wrench is prob on the list! Anything else I might need?

Any links to website or video are just as appreciated as direct advice :)

Thanks,
Al.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i think you are on the right track with either pedal or crank arm. I had that on my regular bike and fortunately i had spare pedals and crank arms from another bike to narrow it down to the arm which was still under warranty. In my case it was not under tightened but the insert where the pedal screws in was tweaked

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I've had something similar at the bottom of the pedal stroke and only under load (I couldn't reproduce rotating by hand) - it turned out to be the bolt for one crank arm had slightly loosened and was allowing that crank arm to move very minutely.

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
the V8s on my other bike do and came with a greasing syringe. Don't think the V6s do, but will check later. (also might swap my old V8s over anyway, love them :))

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles