Help choosing a fast moped style?

clarkgarg85

Jan 4, 2021
USA
Will you get in trouble for using this type of bike in a bike lane or greenway?
I'm looking to buy a fast (30+ m VidMate ph) e-bike with good range (at least 50 miles per charge) and that's under $5000. I would also like it to be fairly lightweight (less Mobdro than 100 lbs). Moped/motorbike style.
So far some brands/bikes I've seen that are attractive include: Aerial Rider (X-class 52v and D-class), Monday Motorbikes, Juiced (HyperScorpion and HyperScrambler but they're kinda heavy), Super73 (RX although I've heard quality issues and poor customer service with this brand... is this true?), CyberX, Ristretto.
Are there any others I should look out for? And is there any advice for choosing?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If you want an electric motor bike , something like the Sur-Ron - everything else you're describing doesn't fall into the Electric Mountain bike classification and you wouldn't be able to use it where Mountain bikes can go as it's a moped/motorcycle.

I think Luna carry them in the USA.

Some examples and modifications/upgrades here :

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
I see these here in the U.K., they are not legal anywhere here except on private land, but it's rare for anyone to get caught.
l only ever see them being ridden on the road, l've never been passed by one on the trails.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Will you get in trouble for using this type of bike in a bike lane or greenway?
I'm looking to buy a fast (30+ mph) e-bike with good range (at least 50 miles per charge) and that's under $5000. I would also like it to be fairly lightweight (less than 100 lbs). Moped/motorbike style.
So far some brands/bikes I've seen that are attractive include: Aerial Rider (X-class 52v and D-class), Monday Motorbikes, Juiced (HyperScorpion and HyperScrambler but they're kinda heavy), Super73 (RX although I've heard quality issues and poor customer service with this brand... is this true?), CyberX, Ristretto.
Are there any others I should look out for? And is there any advice for choosing?

They're illegal for the places where bikes are legal (bike paths, greenways, not to mention trails that aren't in OHV areas), everyone else using those trails will hate you (for flaunting the laws they're abiding by, especially at 30+ mph), and/or judge you to be poor (you typically see similar-styled [but probably cheaper] non-Class I e-mopeds in poor areas ridden by pre-teens, or people who for one-reason-or-another can't drive a car/scooter/motorcycle [licensing and insurance issues?]).

But you will rarely encounter actual enforcement precisely because of that last reason. Cops are loathe to crack down on desperate people who don't have better options. It is assumed to be their only available form of transportation that they take to work/shopping/medical care/etc... and who would have the heart to cause people grief for that, unless it is directly causing issues for other people?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles