Hello from Brisbane, Australia

Kiwi73

Dec 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I haven't got an e-mtb yet.
Just sold my 2016 Santa Cruz 5010CC and i'm in the market for one now.
My top choices so far are:
  1. Thor Mig-R
  2. Focus Sam2
  3. Merida e160 900E
  4. Spez Kenenvo Comp
  5. Commencal Meta Power 27
I really want to try all of them, except you can't test ride a Commencal. So that probably rules it out of my list.

Anyway, that's my list and task ahead for the next few weeks over Xmas.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
I haven't got an e-mtb yet.
Just sold my 2016 Santa Cruz 5010CC and i'm in the market for one now.
My top choices so far are:
  1. Thor Mig-R
  2. Focus Sam2
  3. Merida e160 900E
  4. Spez Kenenvo Comp
  5. Commencal Meta Power 27
I really want to try all of them, except you can't test ride a Commencal. So that probably rules it out of my list.

Anyway, that's my list and task ahead for the next few weeks over Xmas.
Hi Kiwi73,
All those bikes look great.
I sold my 5010 as well, went for the Merida because of the great specs on the 900e although the price has gone up $1500 here in NZ since I bought mine. Still a great price in Aus.
Took me a month to get used to the weight difference.
Enjoy shopping around.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hi, and Welcome
I’m not far away, just up the Sunny Coast.
Got myself a Specialized Turbo Levo and love it. Sometimes wish I got the Kenevo, but the Levo is still plenty enough and handles xc duties better, which I still do a bit of.
I picked the Spesh because the seamless transition from power to no power after the 25kmh limit, and the complete disconnect of the motor from the drivetrain at this point, via 2 sprag clutches. I don’t believe any other motor manufacturer does this.
I liked the way the Merida with Shimano motor handled and rode heaps better, but it was like grabbing a handful of brakes once the limit was reached. It’s a pitty because the Merida was way better spec’d for the price. My Levo still does everything I ask if it tho.

Go see Bicycle Riders Morningside for Specialized Bikes. Andy and Chris are great to deal with, and will be happy to help.

If you are up Caloundra way, drop in and see the Crew at Bicycle centre Caloundra for Merida Bikes. Annie, Jess, Nathan, and Matt.
Or go see Dean or Geoff over at Hit Bikes for the Kona Remote Control.
Both shops should have demo and hire bikes that can be tested just a short 5min ride at the Sugarbag rd trails.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Welcome, fairly hard to get a bad bike these days, you will be happy with any of those. I have only had a ride of the Merida and found it to be a very balanced bike.
Another one to consider is the Giant Trance E+1, not that I'm biased or anything. :sneaky:

Kiwi73

Dec 15, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah @Bonz the Merida offers the best components for a great price. I think you can get them for a little as $6,500 in Australia, maybe even less.

@outerlimits, Thanks for all the great contacts up north. I'm near Caboolture so not too far from most of those places.

@RobNevyn I did look at the Giant Trance SX E+ with the coil shock, but at the moment it's still over $8k which is above the limit my wife has set :(. Also like the Merida, the Giant has a vertically mounted shock which sadly I'm just not a fan of.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The Bicycle Centre Caloundra are great to deal with. They do Norco as well as Merida.
The new Norco Sight ebike looks ok too.
They are moving January 1st, but just across and down the road a bit.
The trails at Sugarbag road are great ( bit bias as it’s my local) the new flow trail is nothing like anything in Brisbane really different and unique and well worth a visit.

671C4D63-7418-425B-A436-93101EFDE96B.jpeg

2A977D6E-E107-4E3D-BBF5-B3ACB0FC5395.jpeg

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Will WhatsApp him. I'm sure he said the Commencal importer is in Bris so might be possible to visit them to check out the different models. He has the orange 18 Essential with the coil shock and loves it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles