Levo Gen 2 heavy rider on Levo what shock to use?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
for a heavy guy, around 120Kg, is the stock shock with 3 volume reducers the way to go or a upgraded shock with piggyback, or is the ultimate a coil shock?

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
Would first test Fox Float DPX2 or Rock Shox Monarch if standard shock is not sufficient. With coil you loose potentially the poppiness of the Levo. Try to get one from your colleagues if they riding Levos with them too or ask a real shock/fork expert dealer. Because it might be challenging to have ideal shock for you.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
i just was wondering if the dpx2 will be better than the stock with volume reducers or worse as it would seem to me that it would have even more air volume

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
i just was wondering if the dpx2 will be better than the stock with volume reducers or worse as it would seem to me that it would have even more air volume
it has but I'm not sure if the result for you would be good enough. Just as example I changed from Float DPS to DPX2 and the difference wasn't that big in my opinion. After putting volume the medium reducer it compression was better but the plushness goes away. The main question is what are you seeking / expecting from the shock and what terrain are you riding most - this would lead to the answer of the shock type first and then the brand

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
trail riding, no big air or anything crazy, mainly easy and intermediate trails, I know I will loose some plushness, but I am guessing that is the cost of doing business. I cannot loose weight and have fun If I do not ride.....

CA320

Jun 22, 2020
SoCal
105 kg and switched to a coil on mine.

At pretty much maxed out psi on the stock fox dps shock a coil was the 1st upgrade i did. The air shock had to have so much rebound to slow down my weight it just had a dead feeling to it if i wanted to hit any type of jump. The plushness from the coil is worth the trade of for some poppyness.

Also put a set of Marocchi Z1 Coil forks on it and this combo transformed the bike. So much confidence in it now

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I have a brand new Lyrik on the front, and at the correct 30% sag I never use much more than 80 of the travel so that is fine. Currently on the rear I am at 260lbs, gives me 35% sag, but I do use the full stroke riding, with very little jumping.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
trail riding, no big air or anything crazy, mainly easy and intermediate trails, I know I will loose some plushness, but I am guessing that is the cost of doing business. I cannot loose weight and have fun If I do not ride.....
Start with volume reducer on your shock (to avoid misinvestment) and after while the appetite appears automatically of improvement. At that time if you like the Levo as I do, you will wonder that you've lost quite weight ;) (by experience).If you want to improve Shock you should always keep your fork in the focus too - both elements are important for a great ride
ps. I read you've got Lyrik - thats a very good fork even

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
105 kg and switched to a coil on mine.

At pretty much maxed out psi on the stock fox dps shock a coil was the 1st upgrade i did. The air shock had to have so much rebound to slow down my weight it just had a dead feeling to it if i wanted to hit any type of jump. The plushness from the coil is worth the trade of for some poppyness.

Also put a set of Marocchi Z1 Coil forks on it and this combo transformed the bike. So much confidence in it now
what do you mean by the popyness? I understand the plushness and I like that. What is the weight difference between the coil shock and the stock air roughly?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
If I do decide to try a coil shock.
I did find a X-fusion at a real good price that is 210 X55, might be worth a try. X-furion vector?? Or spend a little bit more on a Marzocchi Bomber CR?

Last edited:

CA320

Jun 22, 2020
SoCal
what do you mean by the popyness? I understand the plushness and I like that. What is the weight difference between the coil shock and the stock air roughly?

I think what most people are saying is that with an air shock it's feels a bit more lively/lighter in the rear and with the coil it stays stuck to the ground more.

To be honest i enjoy setting up a bike as much as riding it and from a lot of research i knew that plushness is what i'm looking for and i'll go looking for holes and rougher lines to hit just to see how much better the shock works.

I didn't want to commit to dhx2 right off the bat and after hearing of how linear the Levo is, i actually got a used X fusion HLR Coil (210 x 55) for $130 + $30 for a spring. I am happy with the purchase but was a little concerned with getting it as i hadn't seen anyone else put one on a Levo.

Works great compared to the fox dps that was on the bike.

I haven't weighed the coil but at 105 kgs myself i'll add some weight for a lot more comfort.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
thank you, I am leaning the same way as you, I want the plush. I pulled the trigger on a X-fusion, but I splurged a bit on a Cane Creek progressive spring. Does anyone know what size bushings the levo uses top and bottom?

Last edited:

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
I’m 115kg, went to the Marzocchi Bomber CR with an 800lb spring.

I’ve never looked back! The bike feels infinitely better than it did, for me, on the original shock.

Delighted with the results! ??

CA320

Jun 22, 2020
SoCal
thank you, I am leaning the same way as you, I want the plush. I pulled the trigger on a X-fusion, but I splurged a bit on a Cane Creek progressive spring. Does anyone know what size bushings the levo uses top and bottom?
I used the 6 x 20mm bushing from the original shock. My HLR coil had a DU bushing in the lower shock eye and I had to press out with a tool to be able to run the standard flip chip fitting that comes with the bike.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
got the x-fusion on the bike today and I really love it. I honestly feel more at home with it. With the air shock I had a very harsh ride as I had to run soo much air in it. Also i am a dirt bike guy, rode forever so the coil just does feel more like home. I now have a plush ride which I was missing. For now I will run the x-fuaion Vector and see how it does. I do like that it also has the air chamber so I can add some air to it also!! it came with a 700 spring so I have quite a bit of preload on it but I will probably swap for a 800 spring and go from there. For now I can deffinitly say that for a heavy rider the coil in the back is king!!! i might also add that the 55mm stroke is not a bad thing as you can run a bit more sag and you are basically at the normal stock sag.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles