Headtube/Headset creak of death - Decoy 2024

Dragonsback_79

Jun 20, 2024
SoCal
Hey, Searched and finding threads on headset issues but not so much the creak of death sound that I am experiencing 3 months in of ownership. Apologize if a thread is going (can't find it) BUT mine sounds like death. It all started when I loosened the headset to install a new stem and top cap. Creak came up shortly after and got worse, have had several people look at it and get it better, but not 100%. Right now I am at like 80% and any hard hits it makes the sound, messing with my head on the DH. Any others?? Resolutions?? New headset if that is even possible...Works? Any advice...thank you!

iDrinkAir

Jun 25, 2024
SoCal
New to this forum! I was having a nasty creaking on my Decoy, had the headset serviced and was going crazy over it. Turns out it was the fork, apparently there is an issue with fretting corrosion where the stanchion meets the crown or the steerer tube and crown. Bikes currently in the shop and my plan is to contact rockshox to see if they can help me out with anything since I just got it in March.

Heres a video explaining the issue with the fork.

Hopefully this helps :)

John_likes_bikes

Jul 17, 2024
california
The Acros AZX-260 that's likely spec'd has a plastic compression ring and is the source of problems for the many manufacturers who use their headsets. I have a Canyon (soon to have Decoy 29) and it's a known problem for them too. I'm replacing my headset out of the box.

IF that is your problem or potential one you'd want to replace at minimum the upper assembly but might as well do the whole thing since their bearings live short lives and are pressed into the cups, so there's no replacing them.

j8ch

Jan 6, 2023
arizona
I chased a creak for months and months.. At first I thought it HAD to be the headset bc I had adjusted it recently.. took it apart and thoroughly cleaned and greased it (angrily) several times over a couple of month's time.. no change. OK, must be a fork component. Nope.. Must be the cranks? Pedals? Battery bolt/s? Shock mounts? F, I give up. Then, one day after a wash I randomly decided to check every bolt on the bike (I know, this should be done regularly) and wouldn't you know it- literally the very last bolt I checked was one of the motor mount bolts (on the top side)- bingo. Creak gone, forever. I was mad and happy at the same time. I reached out to YT for specs, they said 12nm and fresh threadlocker should keep them where they're supposed to be. Probably not the issue you're having, but maybe someone else will benefit from seeing this!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles